banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

Gearjoneser is selling his Tiny Terror. I’ve read some online reviews.

Owned a Vox Nitetrain for a few months but eventually sold it to a friend who loves it. I liked it but like my Princeton Reverb more. And I didn’t think the Nitetrain sounded much like an AC30...even when I ran it through my 2 x 12 cab loaded with vintage 60’s Celestion Alnicos that came from a 60’s Vox Super Beatle.

But for Marshall and/or Vox tones, is it the Tiny Terror? Some think it is.

Others say it’s the Marshall 20 watt 2061x.

What say you?
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 12-26-2017, 10:15 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Re: So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

Yeah, the Night Train definitely doesn’t hit AC30 territory.

Here’s a couple that might not be on radar.

The Baby Budda, 18W of Marshall/Vox voicing - basically the drive train from the Twinmaster/Verbmaster without the speaker cab. I play a Verbmaster and can dial in both voices (though I did put a master volume in there).

Budda Amplification staked its claim in 1995 with the Twinmaster boutique amplifier. Its hand-wired construction and user-friendly tones were hits in the guitar community and led to a broader line of amplifiers that catered to modern guitarists who craved old-school touch responsive. The Baby Budda is an 18-watt lunchbox-style head that pays homage to that

Another amp that gets close is Mesa’s TransAtlantic - I had the TA15 head for a while. It’s discontinued, so likely available on the second hand market. The only problem with the TA15 is that the Top Boost side of the house is quite a noisy circuit in this housing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
      Yeah, the Night Train definitely doesn’t hit AC30 territory.

Here’s a couple that might not be on radar.

The Baby Budda, 18W of Marshall/Vox voicing - basically the drive train from the Twinmaster/Verbmaster without the speaker cab. I play a Verbmaster and can dial in both voices (though I did put a master volume in there).

Budda Amplification staked its claim in 1995 with the Twinmaster boutique amplifier. Its hand-wired construction and user-friendly tones were hits in the guitar community and led to a broader line of amplifiers that catered to modern guitarists who craved old-school touch responsive. The Baby Budda is an 18-watt lunchbox-style head that pays homage to that

Another amp that gets close is Mesa’s TransAtlantic - I had the TA15 head for a while. It’s discontinued, so likely available on the second hand market. The only problem with the TA15 is that the Top Boost side of the house is quite a noisy circuit in this housing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      There’s a few TA-15’s on Reverb. I don’t buy much on EBay.

I’d like to know more @bout it.

Cleanish tones are important to me...not just saturated overdriven tones.

I didn’t like the clean tones of the Nitetrain.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I have been playing with the thought of picking up a Peavey Classic 20. I have heard good things about them.

Comment

Few
          1- Zinky 25 watt Blue velvet head is just a BEAST but good luck finding one!!
          2- Best bang for the $ Jet City JCA 22C the Custom voiced by Martin Kid is just a bad boy and right now Musicians friend is running them at $299 SHIPPED!!
          3- Soldano Atomic 16 watts of badass!
          My top 3!
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

A buddy of mine had a Transatlantic 30 watter(?)

Good all around amp. I personally never plugged into it but it worked pretty good for him.

Comment

I'm pretty pleased the mini Jubilee. It uses EL34s, and can use 5881s, 6L6s, 6550s, ..ect... Might not be your cup of tea Lew, but it has an excellent clean channel in my opinion, and a very good loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                I'm pretty pleased the mini Jubilee. It uses EL34s, and can use 5881s, 6L6s, 6550s, ..ect... Might not be your cup of tea Lew, but it has an excellent clean channel in my opinion, and a very good loop.
                +1

It doesn't sound anything like a Vox, but it's definitely the best Marshall-voiced amp in that wattage range. It also responds unusually well to tube rolling; I have mine setup completely different from LPB's and I'm sure they both sound great.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  I have been playing with the thought of picking up a Peavey Classic 20. I have heard good things about them.
                  I owned a Classic 30 for years. I modded it to get down to 15 watts. It was still loud as phuque!
                  “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

I've been over the moon with the Orange OR15 I got in October. It won't do huge cleans without any OD, but it will do great bluesy low OD sounds that clean up well with the guitar's volume control. All that being said, the overdriven tones are the best of any amp I've ever owned, hands down. They're just amazing.
                    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Orange OR15 would be my choice.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini hands down the best, biggest sounding Marshally lunchbox that I've ever heard. It totally sounded like the full sized Dirty Shirley that I had.

I'm about to take delivery of a Wildwood edition Friedman Pink Taco. I've heard glowing reviews of that one too.
                        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

If you want 15-20 watt Marshall - get Marshall.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            If you want 15-20 watt Marshall - get Marshall.
                            Yep, DSL15H with low gain preamp tubes in it and a 2/12 and you're set!
                            1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
                            2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
                            2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
                            2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
                            2019 Gibson Original Collection Les Paul Special
                            -------
                            1979 Marshall JMP 2204
                            1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
                            2021 Epic Amplification AR50
                            2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

My fav for this is Emery Sound SuperBaby. It becomes whatever tubes I put in it, and you can put a ANY tubes in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X