banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    If you want 15-20 watt Marshall - get Marshall.
    Meaning the 2016x or DSL15H or ???
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 12-26-2017, 04:43 PM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      I have been playing with the thought of picking up a Peavey Classic 20. I have heard good things about them.
      I've been toying with the idea myself. Check out the vids on the Classic Lew. Great all around amp according to the reviews.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
        There’s a few TA-15’s on Reverb. I don’t buy much on EBay.

I’d like to know more @bout it.

Cleanish tones are important to me...not just saturated overdriven tones.

I didn’t like the clean tones of the Nitetrain.
        Clean tones on the TA-15 are really, really good. I’m mainly use pedal drive/distortion, and rarely hit full on high-gain tones.

Both sides of the TA-15 have their own flavor, with the classic Vox tones for the Green channel - the Tweed setting on the Red channel was great though, and could get pushed quite hard before it began to clip/compress. The pull master on the Green channel is a great option to have.

A great amp, I only sold it because I wanted a combo rather than head/cab - and the Rectoverb 25 showed up at around the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
          Clean tones on the TA-15 are really, really good. I’m mainly use pedal drive/distortion, and rarely hit full on high-gain tones.

Both sides of the TA-15 have their own flavor, with the classic Vox tones for the Green channel - the Tweed setting on the Red channel was great though, and could get pushed quite hard before it began to clip/compress. The pull master on the Green channel is a great option to have.

A great amp, I only sold it because I wanted a combo rather than head/cab - and the Rectoverb 25 showed up at around the same time.

Dug up a couple of random loop vids where I’d used the TA-15 (both on the Tweed setting):

Comment

Fender Tweed Deluxe head if you can find one. Rated at 12 Watts but I think it would more than do the job.

Comment

No love for the Fender Bassbreaker, people?

More Marshall than Fender, it's a great sounding unit with fantastic cleans and great high-gain sounds.
              I'm not sure if that's what Mr. Collins would want, but it's worthy of consideration.
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

The Peavey 20 and 30 are just amazing amps all over the place for all kinds of things. But they are not Marshalls.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                  Fender Tweed Deluxe head if you can find one. Rated at 12 Watts but I think it would more than do the job.
                  I used to play through a pair of real tweed Deluxes , each with a vintage Celestion blue 12.

I’m extremely familiar with that sound.

It’s a good one...but no longer what I’m after.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Meaning the 2016x or DSL15H or ???
                    The DSL15 is thoroughly modern sounding. The red channel is a bag of bees. The green channel is more Fender than Marshall. You can modify it or install a reversed 12DW7, but I suspect the 2061X is more what you would want. It is spendy, though, and it runs EL84s.

Rumor has it that the DSL15 is due to be replaced by a much improved DSL20 running EL34s sometime in the coming year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                      Rumor has it that the DSL15 is due to be replaced by a much improved DSL20 running EL34s sometime in the coming year.
                      DSL preamp into the 2525 power amp perhaps? It'd be awesome (and even more versatile) if they kept the low power mode too.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

If you're looking for Vox tone in a small package the TA15s are great, or if you've got the budget for it the Morgan AC20 is an excellent sounding amp. If you're looking more towards Marshall there are a lot of options from numerous companies. For less than a 2061x there are a few Friedman's, Splawn Super Sport and Street Rod, Marshall 2525 and DSL, and many more.
                        sigpic
                        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I used to play through a pair of real tweed Deluxes , each with a vintage Celestion blue 12.

I’m extremely familiar with that sound.

It’s a good one...but no longer what I’m after.
                          Have you tried the Tweed Deluxe with the RR mods? Swaps .022 for the .1mFd coupling caps and adds a lead channel. Does a real good Marshall. https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modific...m#Lead_Channel
                          Last edited by justFred; 12-26-2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                            The DSL15 is thoroughly modern sounding. The red channel is a bag of bees. The green channel is more Fender than Marshall. You can modify it or install a reversed 12DW7, but I suspect the 2061X is more what you would want. It is spendy, though, and it runs EL84s.

Yeah - this Lew. DSL is NOT the Marshall tone you seek. But dang I like the DSL vibe. You might seriously dig the cleans on that Lew.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The small amp I bought is the Mesa Mark V:25, and I got the matching slant and straight 112 V30 cabs. Expensive? Yes, but when you consider all the tones this amp has to offer...it's a bargain. Consider the 5-year warranty...when most amps have only one year. Consider the build quality, and the way these amps hold their value. A cabinet made of strong plywood...not MDF like some of the amps mentioned. Consider the Cab-Clone feature, allowing a silent mode for practice and a balanced line out for mixing into a PA. And then consider ALL the additional amps you'll have to buy in your tone search. Myself, I'd rather buy ONCE, and get it right the first time.

Mesa has made some other great small amps, like the Studio .22, the F-30, the DC-3, Nomad 45, Lonestar Special and the new Mini-Recto and Mini-Recto Reverb. Pick one...or two.

And hey...no one mentioned a Fender Princeton Reverb! (It's a great amp, and the amp Randy Smith modded to make the first Boogies!)

Bill
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

If you need clean tones, Tiny Terror won't do that.

I'd be interested to hear if OR15 cleans up better?
                                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                                X