banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

Every time I plug into a Mesa Rectoverb 25, I'm highly pleased with it. 25W with a 10W step down switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
      If you need clean tones, Tiny Terror won't do that.

I'd be interested to hear if OR15 cleans up better?
      For recording, or if it's mic'd up, the cleans with the volume cranked and gain low are beautiful, but unmic'd onstage they might not be loud enough.

Once again, though, the overdrive is stellar.
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Tried an EVH 15 watt and a 50 watt 5150III EL34.

No contest.

For the kind of cleans I like, I don’t think I’m ever going to be satisfied with 15 Watts.

Then again, I’ve always got my Deluxe Reverbs.

But I’m looking for a head to use with my Matchless cabs for both home and stage.

I have a one 12 and a two 12.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

The Fender Bassbreaker 45 is essentially a plexi circuit with power scaling. You can adjust the wattage from 45 watts to 1 watt. It uses EL34s. That might be a solution.

Sticking with Marshall for that kind of amp, you might consider a used Marshall Vintage Modern. These are rather affordable right now on the used market. It is a plexi circuit with a PPIMV. You can also configure it with an extra preamp tube by switching it to what they call the High Dynamic Range. It uses KT66s so its based on the earlier JTM45/100 plexi amps uses by Eric in early Cream, and early Jimi. The wattage at clipping of the 50 watt amp is actually about 36 watts with the kT66s. It does nice cleans too if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
            The Fender Bassbreaker 45 is essentially a plexi circuit with power scaling. You can adjust the wattage from 45 watts to 1 watt. It uses EL34s. That might be a solution.

Sticking with Marshall for that kind of amp, you might consider a used Marshall Vintage Modern. These are rather affordable right now on the used market. It is a plexi circuit with a PPIMV. You can also configure it with an extra preamp tube by switching it to what they call the High Dynamic Range. It uses KT66s so its based on the earlier JTM45/100 plexi amps uses by Eric in early Cream, and early Jimi. The wattage at clipping of the 50 watt amp is actually about 36 watts with the kT66s. It does nice cleans too if you want.
            Gonna have to check it out. Sounds killer in the YouTube reviews. Nice clean tones.

The 15 watt version sounds good too...at least in the YouTube reviews.
            Last edited by Lewguitar; 12-28-2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

H&K Tubemeister Deluxe 20
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Amazing how you can dial Egnater Tweakers in . . . and the Rebels are great too.

And if I didn't love Egnater's stuff, I would likely own Blackstar HT or Studio models.
                Carvin 200T, CS6 Flamed KOA w/Floyd, TL60T Flamed Walnut
                Gibson Lifeson White ES-355 and Crimson Red Axcess Les Paul both AL-230
                Gibson 1 of 25 50th R9 Cognacburst
                Epiphone Tribute Plus Les Paul and Dot 335
                Fender AM Deluxe [Beck] Strat
                Godin LGXT and P90 Core and Montreal Premier
                Hagstrom Super Swede Tri-P90S
                Egnater Renegade and Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by canon_mutant View Post
                  Amazing how you can dial Egnater Tweakers in . . . and the Rebels are great too.

And if I didn't love Egnater's stuff, I would likely own Blackstar HT or Studio models.
                  Hows the overdrive in Rebel 30w? I looked at them some time ago as an upgrade from TT, but didn't pull the trigger.

I've heard they get messy with gain, that you can hear cleans and dirt on top of it, instead of nice full overdrive tone.

About Tweaker I've only heard good of, but with only 15 watts, can it do any better cleans than TT?
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by canon_mutant View Post

Ive got a Blackstar HT-Studio. It’s a great amp. Plenty loud, pretty good clean channel and the OD screams.
                    I picked it up brand new for $300 (head) from sweetwater.

Comment

I swear it sometimes feels like Dan and Mick of That Pedal Show are on these boards!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool comparison of a vintage Marshall Plexi and a 2061 20 watt...

Comparison - '67 Model JMP 2061 Lead and Bass 20W Vs '69 Model JMP 1959 Super Lead BOTH CRANKED! 1971 Marshall 4x12 model 1935B with G12M25 55Hz Celestion Gr...

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                          I swear it sometimes feels like Dan and Mick of That Pedal Show are on these boards!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          The only tones I heard in that video that I liked came from the Gretsch at the beginning.

The others were shrill and scrapey sounding.

And that AC15, the way they played it, sounded nothing like the way my AC30 sounded when I played it...even though the guy thought that was a classic AC30 sound.

I dunno about those guys. Be nice if they were better guitarists and had a nicer touch.
                          Last edited by Lewguitar; 12-29-2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Did your AC30 have a master volume, Lew? And which did you prefer, Normal or Top Boost input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                              Did your AC30 have a master volume, Lew? And which did you prefer, Normal or Top Boost input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              No master volume. It was very loud. Too loud. And too heavy.

But when I could turn it up, and goose the input with a TS808, I felt that I got the best soloing tones of any amp I’ve ever owned.

It was 20 years ago. But I think I liked the Top Boost channel...but maybe it was the normal one.

Sold the amp because I couldn’t afford more than one amp at the time and it was too loud for the church (new thought/non-traditional) gigs I was playing.

I bought it because I loved the sound Buddy Miller got when I saw him with Emmylou Harris at Telluride. But I couldn’t turn mine up loud enough to get those sounds on the gigs I play.
                              Last edited by Lewguitar; 12-29-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

does someone make a brown deluxe in a head? thats what id get. with the right speakers its the best lil marshall ive played though. better than the 18w or 20w marshalls ive tried

an old style ac30 with blues cranked up is a glorious thing! sooo loud though. the master volume ones ive tried havent been the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X