banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So what’s the best of the 15 watt/20 watt heads?

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
    Available as a head:

Late to the party as usual - I should have finished reading the whole thread before posting.
    I've listened multiple times to the videos/sound bytes of that Allen Brown Sugar. It is possibly the best sounding amp I've ever heard IMO. I've been fighting the urge to buy the head version now for over a year!

Comment

ive spent hours checking out his site over the years and im very intrigued but they are pretty rare in the wild

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        ive spent hours checking out his site over the years and im very intrigued but they are pretty rare in the wild
        Very true. However, any comments I've ever read from owners have all been highly favorable. Still I hold back for some reason???

Comment

i hold back mostly cause i already have a bunch of great amps and for the most part only use two of them with any regularity

Comment

I wish I’d never sold my brown Deluxe. I wish I’d never sold a lot of things...
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Can not for the life of me understand why the Jet City 20 watt heads are not more respected in discussions like this one!
              I got my 2nd one yesterday a JCA 22H Custom and am blown away. Frankly the Tiny Terrors and the Vox Night Train are cheap sounding toys in comparison and not on the same planet as these amps are. From juicy warm cleans to vintage Marshall tones on the Crunch side, to BLISTERING thick fluid sustain for slos and a GREAT big round Brown rhythm sound on the OD side + a really GOOD loop my little head absolutely KILLS! Grabbed mine for $263 SHIPPED last week from Musicians Friend and this well may be my best ever new amp deal EVER!!
              Just don't get the lack of love for the Jet City amps???
              Last edited by Ascension; 01-04-2018, 11:25 AM.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

the few jet citys ive played sounded fine but are more modern voiced than what i go for, not sure about gigging reliability. do yours get bounced around in the back of the car/van much? i dont mean abuse, but just driving from gig to gig

Comment

the few jet citys ive played sounded fine but are more modern voiced than what i go for, not sure about gigging reliability. do yours get bounced around in the back of the car/van much? i dont mean abuse, but just driving from gig to gig
                  Yeah. One reason I went for the Vox is because it’s handwired. Only amp I own that isn’t is my Mustang and it’s acting up after just a couple of years. It’s under warranty but still...

Another reason is that it’s switchable from 30 watts to 15 watts.

Another is that I miss my old AC30 and although this new one has a master volume, the MV can be switched right out of the circuit....so no tone loss.

Another is that I have a small stash of NOS GE EL84’s.

Also has an effects loop so I can add Reverb and Delay.

And finally, it’s a head that’ll sit right on top of my AC30 size Matchless speaker cab loaded with 60’s Celestions. Lighter. AC30 combo amps weigh a ton!

I think I made the right choice.
                  Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-04-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Just got this one yesterday. The 1st one I owned got gigged out a lot and was rock solid in reliability.
                    Yes they are more modern on the voicing to some extent. In particular the OD side but this new one really nails a solid vintage Marshall tone on the Crunch side + if you back off the gain has a pretty darned good warm clean. The new Custom is a much different amp from the original JCA22H I had the way its voiced. I do the modern Worship thing mostly so was looking for an inexpensive great sounding reliable small head with great tones that I could set up and leave some where without sweating it to much. IMO the Jet Citys are simply the best sounding most reliable and versatile inexpensive amps out there for what I need.
                    3 reasons I say this.
                    Tonal versatility and also not just good but GREAT low volume tones.
                    Low price point with real real tone stacks features like switching and that great pedal friendly loop + so far rock solid reliability.
                    For me this one is HUGE in that these have a really GOOD pedal friendly LOOP!!!
                    Own a pair of 25 watt Boogies the Zinky Velvet combo and now this head + have owned several other low wattage amps and consider these the absolute best amp for the $ in this category IMO.
                    Last edited by Ascension; 01-04-2018, 12:42 PM.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Just got this one yesterday. The 1st one I owned got gigged out a lot and was rock solid in reliability.
                      Yes they are more modern on the voicing to some extent. In particular the OD side but this new one really nails a solid vintage Marshall tone on the Crunch side + if you back off the gain has a pretty darned good warm clean. The new Custom is a much different amp from the original JCA22H I had the way its voiced. I do the modern Worship thing mostly so was looking for an inexpensive great sounding reliable small head that was not that expensive + had great tones. IMO the Jet Citys are simpley the best amps out there for this. 3 reasons
                      Tonal versatility and also not just good but GREAT low volume tones.
                      Low price point with real features and reliability.
                      For me this one is HUGE in that these have a really GOOD pedal friendly LOOP!!!
                      Own a pair of 25 watt Boogies the Zinky Velvet combo and now this head + have owned several other low wattage amps and consider these the absolute best amp for he $ in this category.
                      Last edited by Ascension; 01-04-2018, 12:57 PM.
                      Guitars

Comment

From what I’ve read, the Jet City’s do seem like a great amp at a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                          Very true. However, any comments I've ever read from owners have all been highly favorable. Still I hold back for some reason???
                          I'll add a comment if I ever get around to building the the 1-12 Brown Sugar kit I bought.
                          ]
                          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                            Can not for the life of me understand why the Jet City 20 watt heads are not more respected in discussions like this one!
                            I got my 2nd one yesterday a JCA 22H Custom and am blown away. Frankly the Tiny Terrors and the Vox Night Train are cheap sounding toys in comparison and not on the same planet as these amps are. From juicy warm cleans to vintage Marshall tones on the Crunch side, to BLISTERING thick fluid sustain for slos and a GREAT big round Brown rhythm sound on the OD side + a really GOOD loop my little head absolutely KILLS! Grabbed mine for $263 SHIPPED last week from Musicians Friend and this well may be my best ever new amp deal EVER!!
                            Just don't get the lack of love for the Jet City amps???
                            Because of you, I now have to go to check that JCA22H that I saw on sale yesterday...
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                              From what I’ve read, the Jet City’s do seem like a great amp at a great price.
                              They are and that's what baffles me on why they don't get any respect. Small light weight so easy to transport with a lot of features at a low price point. If you need a big round hot rodded Marshall tone one one side with a choice of a nice warm clean or more open vintage Plexie toned second channel these are great rigs.
                              Guitars

Comment

Tiny terror or OR15 all the way, EVH LBX 15w is pretty swell also
                                "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                                Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                                Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                                Jackson dx10d
                                DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                                MXR Carbon Copy
                                MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Working...
                                X