FW recommendations for fretless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FW recommendations for fretless

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Fender fretless neck that will be swapped on to my MIJ Squier Jazz. My tech thought it was a no-brainer since the Squier is kind of obsolete with my other (fretted) Jazz.

My tech also said I really should consider flats (he knows I generally prefer RW).

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Re: FW recommendations for fretless

I think flats work best for fretless.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks, Clint 55.

I was looking at strings @ Just Strings and was interested in TI Flats, but the 34" sets only go to .100 on the E, which is waaay too light for my taste (I use .115 E with RW.)

I'll probably try La Bella, though Rotosound might be another option. I use the tapewound on my Mustang and EB-1.
      '69 Fender Mustang bass
      '69 Gibson EB-1
      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

.115" is hardcore! I might use that because I'm a whole step down but my brand Daddario only has .110".
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Half-rounds....
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            .115" is hardcore! I might use that because I'm a whole step down but my brand Daddario only has .110".
            I use GHS Bass Boomers specifically becasue of that.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Half-rounds....
            Thanks--will look into those.
            '69 Fender Mustang bass
            '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that flats often have a higher tension feel compared to rounds, so your normal string size prefers may not directly translate. That said, TI flats are actually VERY low tension, so.

Fwiw, I like quite a stiff string and I've found the LaBella Jamersons to feel great, even on my medium scale (32") bass.
              ---------------------------
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                One thing to keep in mind is that flats often have a higher tension feel compared to rounds, so your normal string size prefers may not directly translate.
                Good to know.

That said, TI flats are actually VERY low tension, so.
                That would be an issue for me.

Fwiw, I like quite a stiff string and I've found the LaBella Jamersons to feel great, even on my medium scale (32") bass.
                I like a stiff string as well; I'll check these out.

Thanks for weighing in.
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I'm a big fan of La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass flats. longcat has a 43-104 set on her Squier Bronco and you can hardly tell that it isn't 34" scale. Tight but not too too tight feel, and they sound amazing.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Thanks.

The LaBella 0760M Original 1954 FW 52-110 seem more in line with what I'm used to; I think these are the "Jamerson" set St_Genesius referred to.
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                      Thanks.

The LaBella 0760M Original 1954 FW 52-110 seem more in line with what I'm used to; I think these are the "Jamerson" set St_Genesius referred to.
                      Pretty sure you're correct. The set I was referring to is their 760FL/S.
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        Pretty sure you're correct. The set I was referring to is their 760FL/S.
                        Those are short scale:

La Bella 760FL/S Deep Talkin' Stainless Steel Flat Wound Short Scale Light Gauge 4-String Electric Bass Strings

Strings are flatwound stainless steel, light gauge 043 060 082 104. Recommended for short scale, fretless basses. First choice of many professional bass players. ~30-31" scale.
                        '69 Fender Mustang bass
                        '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Yeah, the 1954s are the ones I use. I've only had to buy one set, so I kinda forgot the actual name. I've tried others, including a set of La Bellas in a slightly different gauge, but those are my favorites.

Thanks.

---------------------------
                          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Those are short scale:

La Bella 760FL/S Deep Talkin' Stainless Steel Flat Wound Short Scale Light Gauge 4-String Electric Bass Strings

Strings are flatwound stainless steel, light gauge 043 060 082 104. Recommended for short scale, fretless basses. First choice of many professional bass players. ~30-31" scale.
                            They are. The bass I play them on is a 30" scale Squier Bronco. I get the impression that they're essentially a short scale version of the 760M set you were looking at, but I can't be 100% sure of that.

Comment

Thanks dystrust and St_Genesius. This is really helpful. I really don't want to shell out ~$70 for TIs since I probably would not like them.
                              '69 Fender Mustang bass
                              '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Working...
                              X