Clear All

Re: YOU Need A Les Paul

I can't play a box. No fun.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Plessure View Post
      String height adjustment is for playability, not just volume.
      Then move your tune-o-matic, if the radius of your TOM being slightly off renders a guitar unplayable, there are bigger problems than your bridge.
      Last edited by Chistopher; 12-31-2017, 03:14 PM.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        Back in the late 70s/ early 80's.... Guitar Player magazine published a cover story on Ace Frehley... In which Ace said, "All you need is a Les Paul and a Marshall stack to rule the world".... He wasn't wrong.

werd
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Hmmmm? All these players were using the wrong guitar?
          https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gibson_players

Comment

I've been using strats (Fender and non-Fender copies) for most of my guitar playing years and then I finally bought a Gibson. Now I almost exclusively play the Gibson because it's so fine. The tone, design and craftsmanship is beyond exceptional.

My only complaint is the lack of contours. My strumming arm rubs the edge of the body a lot. I love the Fender contours, especially on the face of the body where the strumming arm rubs against.

Comment

Originally posted by Plessure View Post
              He didn't say that people should try as many guitars as possible. He said specifically that the LP is something every guitarist should try.
              No, he didn't say that people should try as many quitars as possible. I added my own commentary.

So what?
              Last edited by Darg1911; 12-31-2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Random thought time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	freemepc2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	5804661

Y'all have a Happy New Year huh?
                Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                Guitar to sound output:
                Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

You might find people are a bit more in line with your opinion on http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/forum.php haha

Comment

The tones that a LP puts out are superior to everything else in a lot of players minds. They'll never be second to anything. There is a reason established guys that could get whatever they wanted for free were ditching their Fender's and desperately trying to find burst's, for the tone of Seth's humbuckers in a smooth and thick, big sounding rock guitar. Tone is subjective though, it's a tool to build a song with, I just don't care for single coils.

Before I even knew what a LP was, I was listening to my Dad's records and there was a tone that I could pick out as my favorite. The two songs that are responsible for me getting a guitar and learning to play were recorded with LP's as I would find out many years later.

No they're not as comfortable as some other stuff in a pure historical configuration, but you can get them with belly cuts and access heels, and a properly made one even in a historic configuration is only about 8.5#'s. If that's too much weight how do bass players even survive? Modern LP's are chambered, knocking on 7# and the 10+# Norlins from the 70's are toast.

They do have advantages though, how much easier is it to change caps on a LP vs. a Strat? Their scale length is easier to play for lots of people. The headstock doesn't have that uber phallic look to it. Break a string on a dark stage and it's easier to replace and the bridge design makes them less prone to breakage than other designs.

If you ever get a really good LP in your hands it's like heaven, I have two that I'll never sell. I have Fenders too, one that is really amazing, but they are more of a consumable. They're cheap and mostly sound good, but not as good a carefully hand picked LP to my ears.

Comment

Truth is what you want it to be sometimes

Truth be told I much prefer "Explorer" shaped guitars but I am a guitar fan all around. Strats, Vs, LPs, SGs, bring them on. If they look good and play good OH YEAH!!! Did NOT start the thread to ignite a debate. I just wanted to say how cool mine is and this model has proven to be.

My real Love! Hamer Standards, old and newer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	77ham13.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	5804662Click image for larger version

Name:	01ham9.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	5804663
                      Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                      Guitar to sound output:
                      Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

I thought I had it made with my guitars. Then I got fired with a huge check for 7 years of service, and I bought a Les Paul, a 339, and a Telecaster over the course of a few months.

When I first plugged my Les Paul into my rig, I couldn't believe it. That was THE sound I tried to get from pickup changes in different guitars over the years.
                        I started playing alongside Metallica's Load and some Mastodon albums, and it nailed the feel for nearly all that material, which has the tones I love the most.

I've had it for almost 9 months now, and ever since I've lowered the pickups a bit (it sounds really bright that way, love it!), the gauge went up to 11-54 and I have it setup for D. It could use a bone nut and some fretwork, but it's still a fantastic thing. I don't think I'd like high output pickups in it.

I could definitely live a happy guitar life with a Les Paul, a 339 and a Strat. A Tele would be optional since I'm not really loving mine, sadly.
                        Last edited by Diego; 12-31-2017, 05:41 PM.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

ψystein agreed

Last edited by Van Noord; 12-31-2017, 05:44 PM.
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

In my mind I like to think of most of Gibson's offerings as a different form of the Les Paul. The ES guitars are hollow/semi-hollow Les Pauls, Explorers are pointy Les Pauls, Flying V's are Les Pauls for the classical playing position. SG's are Les Pauls that have been ergonomically upgraded.
                            Granted, there are more nuanced differences between the models, such as the neck joint on certain models and upper fret access, but they all follow similar patterns of construction. Tilted 3Χ3 headstock, 24 3/4" scale, 2 humbuckers each with their own volume and tone, etc. The LP just served as the basis of that Gibson recipe.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Different horses for different courses. Music would suck if everyone used the same thing or played the same style.

Comment

Euronymous!
                                The things that you wanted
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X