banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You ever buy something you weren't even in the market for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You ever buy something you weren't even in the market for...

Here are some sound samples I put together, per request at TalkBass. Figured I'd drop them here in case anyone was interested. Four of the five pickup settings are represented, all record direct, with flat eq. Every 16 bars, the pickup changes, but everything else stays the same. My personal opinions are down below the link, so don't look if you want to go in totally blind.

Every sixteen bars, the pickup setting changes: P, P-HB, HB, Split HB.

P: Really not bad, but nothing special. If I swap a pickup, it will be this one.

Both: My favorite bass sound when playing alone is the both-pickups sound of a J, but I've found it often gets swallowed up in a Mic. This has a little of that parallel sparkle, but with extra mid beef that helps it hang. Still, I'd call it more "usable" than impressive.

Humbucker: Easily my favorite sound here, even if it doesn't necessarily fit the song choice. Doesn't have the highs of a MM (despite being CLOSER to the bridge) but adds some power to the traditional Jazz bridge honk.

Split Humbucker: pretty similar to the regular HB, but quiet and with buzz. Doesn't sound any more like a J than the humbucker.

NOT PICTURED: P+Split HB. But really...meh?

Overall: punches well above the $200 I spent on it. Looks... Like it looks. Has one great sound and two additional useful ones.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

for $200 thats a damn good lookin instrument. if it was mine id probably put a little work into it, seems like there is plenty of room under than pickguard to mess around. id put a alnico mm pup in the bridge and a reverse p in the middle. series/spit/parallel for the mm pup and vvt

Comment

That would be very cool; I'm contemplating a little hotroddery in a different direction, but only if I can get the setup where I want it. There are a couple of frets up high that fret out unless I use the lightest of touches. I'm not sure if it's a fret levelling thing or a relief/saddle height thing, but if I can't sort it, I think it's likely to stay a cool looking, good-enough instrument in stock form.

If I CAN make it a player, I'm thinking losing the split switch, *maybe* swapping out the P pickup for something with a bit more character (and output to match the HB would be a plus), relocating the Volume/blend knob and dropping a 4-band EQ into the two existing spots. Possibly with that Audere Z-mode switch that affects the overall voicing. By default, it's a fairly dark bass and I wouldn't mind adding a little more zing* so that it straddles the vintage/modern line a bit better than it currently does.

Also: I think it needs a pickguard as over-the-top as the paint. Torn between doubling down on the glitter (silver) and white pearl to mat

*without just cranking the High EQ, which I obviosly can do now, but a) that gets noisy and b) it's really just not the same thing.
        Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        for $200 thats a damn good lookin instrument. if it was mine id probably put a little work into it, seems like there is plenty of room under than pickguard to mess around. id put a alnico mm pup in the bridge and a reverse p in the middle. series/spit/parallel for the mm pup and vvt
        Last edited by St_Genesius; 01-08-2018, 10:03 AM.
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

"You ever buy something you weren't even in the market for... "

That's why we're all here.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
          X