Advice on a problem with a STC-3M3 - Treble not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a problem with a STC-3M3 - Treble not working

I am looking for advice on a problem with a SMC-3M3. I have just installed it and the treble control (of the stacked bass/treble) is not working. i.e. It turns ok, but is not making any difference to the sound. The other controls all work ok. As the bass control on the same stacked control is working ok, I think I can assume that my own soldering is ok? I.e. There is not anything special/separate for me to do with the treble. Also, the bass had a John East pre-amp in it previously where the treble worked ok, so I can't think that it could be anything other than the stacked pot and/or the pre-amp circuit board.

Does anyone have any advice on how I might diagnose the issue? e.g. I thinking that I could replace the stacked pot and see if that worked. If that didn't work, could I assume that the problem is with the board?

Thanks in advance for you help in this respect.

Re: Advice on a problem with a STC-3M3 - Treble not working

I am wondering whether I have posted this in the wrong place - hence no replies?

For the record, I did get a response from the Seymour Duncan generalproductinfo group to a email I sent them directly. They suggested that I re-solder the joints to the pot. i.e. The soldering that is comes with the unit, not the soldering the customer carries out to install the unit.

I tried that and it did not resolve the issue. I have now asked for the part number so that I can try replacing the whole pot.

Comment

sounds like a faulty circuit board to me....i have an active SD tone circuit in my bass and theres not much that can go wrong with the soldering from your side

Comment

Try starting a thread in the Guitar Shop.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

If you cannot get it working, or think it might be a defective board, send me a PM, and I will get you in touch with the right people to help you out.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you all for your advice.

I bought a new 100k concentric pot and resoldered it - still didn't work. So I am guessing it was the circuit board.

I couldn't spend any more time on this so I have taken the Seymour Duncan out and replaced it with a John East preamp. I already had John East preamps in another 2 basses and I have never had any problems with them - I just wanted to try something different with the Seymour Duncan. The John East preamps are even easier to install than the Seymour Duncans - and I suspect I must have done something wrong to break the Seymour Duncan during installation, so an 'easier' installation was important to me.

I think I have just been unlucky and had a one-off, 'sub-optimal' experience with Seymour Duncan, but here is another impression I have gained: When I had a query about the first John East Preamp I had bought, it was actually John East himself who got back to me straight away - so I guess smaller companies are able to provide that sort of one-to-one service. And believe me, that sort of Service is not usual in the UK.

Comment

Mincer, Thank you for your kind offer. I am not sure what a 'PM' is, but I have given up on the STC-3M3.
              Last edited by rdochert; 02-22-2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

PM= private message. If you want to try to fix whatever is wrong with your SD preamp, I can get you the right person to contact.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Mincer, Once again, thank you so much for your offer. However, I have been thoroughly put-off the SD Preamp by the whole experience. I can accept that things go wrong, but the whole journey has been frustrating to the extent that, for the moment, I don't intend going down that path again. Thank you for your concern, none-the-less.

If you ever find yourself heading to Scotland, let me know and I will look forward to returning the favour.

Comment

Working...
                  X