Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1Spot power supply? Never again.

Default 1Spot power supply? Never again.

Drove 60 miles roundtrip to GC "near" me and bought a 1Spot 9v.
    Nothing but good things said online about these.
    Got it home and it would not even light an led on 2 different pedals using 3 different plugs.
    Drive back 60 miles roundtrip and exchange for another. First checking that it would power up a pedal. Got it home and it dies power the pedal but the line hum from it is louder than the amp.
    Tried on multiple plugs and 2 different amps. This thing is junk and I am now going to eat the $21.54 rather than do the drive again.
    I decided to post because this power supply gets so many postive reviews. I only need enough power for a single 9v so they can keep the extra milliamps. I will get a Boss.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Default Re: 1Spot power supply? Never again.

I've had a 1-Spot for years and I've never had problems with it. It isn't the most versatile, but it'll power most Boss / MXR / similar pedals without issue or too much extra noise. I have a Voodoo Labs supply on my board, but I have no problems with using my 1-Spot around the house to power a pedal or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

I’ve had zero problems with mine in the 3 or so years I’ve owned it. I run 8 pedals with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just better to order stuff like that to avoid vehicular wear and tear +fuel, not to mention the 15%-off codes you can get from MF ect.
    I was just looking at these last night and decided on the Godlyke version. They're also $21 on price-drop right now. (for the whole kit)
    Lifetime warranty also!
    http://www.godlyke.com/power-all/pow...power-supplies
    Last edited by dave74; 01-14-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Mojo's Minions

What pedal are you trying to power?

No problems here, either, for many many years. You have to know the polarity of your pedals, and see what voltage they require...and don't go over it. Also, order online. Save the time travelling and gas money and get it delivered to your door. If you have to go to a store, bring the pedals with you to test it there.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)

My 1spots are dope. Sorry you're having a hard time.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Little Pigbacon

I have three or four of them sitting around, and they’ve been fine.

Default 1Spot power supply? Never again.

I just used my 3-year old 1-Spot for two performances today. I can't use a Boss because they don't have enough amperes for current pedals. The only time a 1-Spot wouldn't work is if the pin was wrong or the rating of the device was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    I just used my 3-year old 1-Spot for two performances today. I can't use a Boss because they don't have enough amperes for current pedals. The only time a 1-Spot wouldn't work is if the pin was wrong or the rating of the device was wrong.
    You mean you can't use a Boss pedal with your 1spot?,,,,,,or you can't use a Boss adapter for certain pedals?

Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    You mean you can't use a Boss pedal with your 1spot?,,,,,,or you can't use a Boss adapter for certain pedals?
    Can't use a Boss power supply, referring to the OP about getting a Boss PS and not needing the 1-Spot milliamperes. I can use the 1-Spot for almost every pedal I have.
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by Darg1911 View Post
    What pedal are you trying to power?
    Tried with 3 Joyo, a Hotone Xtomp, and a T.C. of a friend. Didn't bother with anything else.
    I use a FuelTank Chameleon power supply on my pedal board. Just trying to power 1 or 2 pedals for grab n go jamming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    No problems here, either, for many many years. You have to know the polarity of your pedals, and see what voltage they require...and don't go over it. Also, order online. Save the time travelling and gas money and get it delivered to your door. If you have to go to a store, bring the pedals with you to test it there.
    I do know the polarity etc of ALL my pedals. The only problem I ever had was making sure a Vox pedal was happy...I seem to recall it had opposite polarity and possibly also 12v.
    I actually took my pedal with me to test but did not actually plug in and play...just verified that power was being supplied.
    I also buy a majority of my gear online, but not for little stuff that could cost as much to ship as it is worth. (that is ok when combining with a larger order, but I am kinda done for a bit on big orders.

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Or if the thing(s) were both defective. The Boss doesn't have enough milliamps for some digital pedals . I use a good isolated power supply for pedals like the Eventide.

Occasional 1-spot user here. When I was using mine to power an entire pedalboard with a daisy chain I never had issues. I still have mine for gigs where I only use 1-2 pedals but those few are usually pretty power-hungry units.

You seem to have all the obvious problems covered. I'm at a loss on this one.

Have you tried contacting Visual Sound directly? The odds of having 2 defective ones in a row is astronomically low.

Toneologist

Your case is an unusual case of bad luck I think. Sorry to hear.

I've had the same 1-Spot daisy chain for 10 years and only time it has ever failed me was when my pedalboard exceeded its rated output. I still use it for my smaller pedalboard and a 1-Spot Pro CS-7 powers my main pedalboard now.

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    Occasional 1-spot user here. When I was using mine to power an entire pedalboard with a daisy chain I never had issues. I still have mine for gigs where I only use 1-2 pedals but those few are usually pretty power-hungry units.

You seem to have all the obvious problems covered. I'm at a loss on this one.

Have you tried contacting Visual Sound directly? The odds of having 2 defective ones in a row is astronomically low.
    I have not contacted the manufacturer. This just happened over the weekend. As you say, the odds seemed low to me to get two bad ones in a row. I now have reservations about the retailer and the manufacturer.
    $%^/ happens. I was reminded to never assume good quality.

Mojo's Minions

Truetone put out a small, wall wart style, regulated, switching supply with the One Spot that can output 1.7 amps. At the time, I don't think there was anything else like it that would run an entire board quietly, for most users. A standard, wall wart switching supply would have been a noise factory. Linear, regulated wall wart style supplies could only output maybe 100 - 200ma. To this day, thousands of players power their entire boards, or large portions of their boards with One Spots. Without issue. They have their limitations. For example, some pedals don't get along with them and you cant run a positive center pedal in the chain. But they are an inexpensive solution that has worked and still works for the majority of people who use them. Now, Truetone has come out with isolated "bricks" based on the switching technology and done so at a price below those of the other brand name manufacturers. I have a Pro CS12 that is every bit as quiet as the Voodoo lab or any other isolated brick that I have used in the past.

I don't work for Trutetone and I have zero affiliation with them. But I think they deserve some credit because they have been innovators, at least in some small way. That's not to say that they cannot put out defective products. Very likely that there will be a dud from time to time. Perhaps they have had a bad batch slip through on occasion. But I wouldn't discount the entire company. Their popularity and success seems to have been earned.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

I had a One Spot which I accidentally dropped a few times. It started rattling. One day, I plugged it in, and it didn't work. Not only did it not work, it took my tuner and my Tube Screamer with it. Granted, it was more my fault for repeatedly dropping it, though, not TrueTone's (at the time, Visual Sound), but that's my One Spot anecdote.

I replaced it with a Godlyke Power All.

The only time I can recall a product failing to work twice in a row is when the store replaced mine with someone else's return that they repackaged. Still rare.