Calling All Bass Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling All Bass Experts

Not really sure sure if this is the right forum for a question like this but I’m fascinated by the bass in this song and was wondering if it’s a bass guitar or some variant, as in sub bass... it starts at 0:45, thanks guys!!

Re: Calling All Bass Experts

Dude my band mate from college's best friend is Ben the bassist! I know he plays bass guitar and keys (guitar too) and that sounds like keys bass. I don't think they're unusually low notes it's just the fat timbre of the keys bass. I think the song is in Ab and the lowest note is a Db 1, the 2nd fret on a 5 string bass's B string. Awesome song.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 01-28-2018, 03:42 AM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

IMO, it sounds like a bass guitar with a compressor that's been side chained to the kick drum with a slow release time.

Normally it's used to get the kick to punch through the bass, but in this song it sounds like they've exaggerated it so that it's producing an audible ducking and swelling effect.
      Last edited by some_dude; 01-28-2018, 05:19 PM.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

That's crazy that you think it could be bass guitar. Cuz it has no decay or overtones which could identify it as that. Not that I know about advanced recording techniques, but I've played bass guitar and keys bass and it sounds like a keys to me.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          That's crazy that you think it could be bass guitar. Cuz it has no decay or overtones which could identify it as that. Not that I know about advanced recording techniques, but I've played bass guitar and keys bass and it sounds like a keys to me.
          I dunno. I just listened to it again and to me it sounds like an obvious decay. He's playing whole notes on everything but the turn around, which is a couple of half notes.

Edit: I think we're listening to different things. At C#2 is a bass guitar. At C#1 I'm pretty sure it's a Moog. You can hear the Moog during the intro at 10 seconds... they have a dialled back version sitting an octave below the bass during the chorus.
          Last edited by some_dude; 01-28-2018, 08:38 PM.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
          X