banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The hunt for the perfect PJ Pickup set...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hunt for the perfect PJ Pickup set...

So!
    I have a VERY nice PJ bass. It's a Duff McKagan Alder body, Warmoth neck with a Kick Ass Bridge. It currently has a custom wound pickup set which is almost what I was hoping for. The split P pickups are slightly underwound and the bridge jazz pickup is wound a bit hotter. It's close but still not right...

I was wondering if anyone has had any success in matching a PJ set? Looking on the SD site I wonder if the Vintage SPB1 Split P pickup and the Hot Stack STK-J2B bridge jazz would be a good pairing?

Re: The hunt for the perfect PJ Pickup set...

Welcome to the forum!

The SPB-1 and Hot Stack combo is my favorite pair for a noise cancelling, balanced PJ set. It isn't easy to get them to blend well usually, but these 2 blend well.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

ive used that pairing before and its solid. i like the qp p bass pup with the hot jazz (non-stack) as well if you want something more aggressive

Comment

For years I played Carvin basses, which I absolutely love, however, their sound just wasn't doing it for me for the type of music I was writing and recording. I always loved that super growly tone of Spectors, and so I bought a couple of them. I use them for most of my recordings for the music I do now, but I also wanted a really great P/J tone ala Duff because my Spectors have soapbars in them. Well, I ended up getting a really great deal on a Spector Model T. It's basically a newer version of a Robert DeLeo model, and it came with the hot P/J set instead of the Duncan Designed pickups.

Man, those are some great sounding pickups. I always keep my pickup selector in the middle position for both pickups to be on. They have that really nice bright tone to them, but at the same time they are punchy as well. I use that bass for my Duff type tones, and they nail it. They are punchy, bright, and deep..... yet they have a small bit of growl to them. They're also silent as all get out.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
          For years I played Carvin basses, which I absolutely love, however, their sound just wasn't doing it for me for the type of music I was writing and recording. I always loved that super growly tone of Spectors, and so I bought a couple of them. I use them for most of my recordings for the music I do now, but I also wanted a really great P/J tone ala Duff because my Spectors have soapbars in them. Well, I ended up getting a really great deal on a Spector Model T. It's basically a newer version of a Robert DeLeo model, and it came with the hot P/J set instead of the Duncan Designed pickups.

Man, those are some great sounding pickups. I always keep my pickup selector in the middle position for both pickups to be on. They have that really nice bright tone to them, but at the same time they are punchy as well. I use that bass for my Duff type tones, and they nail it. They are punchy, bright, and deep..... yet they have a small bit of growl to them. They're also silent as all get out.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/vault/model-t-detail
          I know this is the SD forum, but EMG makes my favorite P/J set. They're great for that growly Spector tone.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Old toggleswitch duncan actives
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I like a normal (i.e. "vintage") P pickup with a 1/4 Lb. J pickup.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                I like a normal (i.e. "vintage") P pickup with a 1/4 Lb. J pickup.
                This is another good choice, although you will get a little hum with the Quarter Pound.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hi, you have a custom wound pickup set, which is almost there. Send it to the winder and tell him what you are missing. He most likely will be happy to tweak it for you, maybe for a little upcharge and shipping costs. Otherwise you have to buy a new set with unkown outcome and still have an 'almost there set' lying in you drawer.
                  Last edited by hamerfan; 07-08-2018, 05:01 AM.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                  X