Cabinet Location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet Location?

I bought a Marshall MX412A out of impulse a while back and I'm not satisfied with the tone I'm getting from it. I have a Ampeg GVT5h (got it used for $150). I was thinking at first that my issue might be speaker location. It's backed up against a wall, on the floor, and has another wall 5' to the left of it. I recently took it 3" off the ground, as recommended by a friend. I also practice about 3 feet away from it with it facing at me.

What can I do to improve the tone short of modding it or selling it and buying a new cab? I'm in a dead zone on the guitar market, so to speak. There's not a single guitar being sold on Facebook market place within 100 miles of me.

Re: Cabinet Location?

I had the same cab some time ago. In short it’s the speakers.
    Oddly it worked well with the matching SS Marshall head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

But still, any tips on speaker location?

Comment

Pull the cabinet farther away from the wall (6-12 inches should help) and stand farther away. The stock speakers in that cab suck, so there will be limits to how much improvement is possible.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
          But still, any tips on speaker location?
          1’x1’

I made platforms for my amps. Carpeted tops and feet. Kills vibration. One foot off the ground and one foot from the wall.

The speakers lack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have this same cab and I myself find it sub par. Hate to de-rail, but is there any way to mod the speakers themselves? I've messed around with mine for so long and can't get it to sound good with any amp or location.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

EQ pedal (even just in-front of the amp) might be a cheap semi-fix,,,,,and it's a good pedal to have anyways.

Good call on considering the cab's position. That's a so often overlooked aspect of getting good in-the-room tone.

Comment

So I think I've got the tone about as good as it's gonna get from placement, what's a good cheap speaker replacement? I'm thinking $50 a piece or less.

Comment

I'll bet that you could find a decent used cab for what you are willing to spend on speakers.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

My problem with buying a new cab is, like I said earlier, I won't be able to sell the one I currently have. I might be able to sell the speakers to an audiophile friend of mine, but not the cab.

Would it be possible to buy two new speakers and keep two of the old ones in? They aren't bad enough to where they repulse me, but I think even two new speakers could help it out. The current ones are G12E-60, which are based off of Vintage 30s, but are a bit darker.

Comment

So I think I've got the tone about as good as it's gonna get from placement, what's a good cheap speaker replacement? I'm thinking $50 a piece or less.
                      There really isn't a good, cheap replacement. WGS is about the least expensive that I know of, and their 12" speakers are $80-90 each. Used may be an option; I often see Celestion V30s or various Eminence Red Coats (Private Jack, Wizard, Governor) in the $50-60 range.

My problem with buying a new cab is, like I said earlier, I won't be able to sell the one I currently have. I might be able to sell the speakers to an audiophile friend of mine, but not the cab.

Would it be possible to buy two new speakers and keep two of the old ones in? They aren't bad enough to where they repulse me, but I think even two new speakers could help it out. The current ones are G12E-60, which are based off of Vintage 30s, but are a bit darker.
                      You could replace the speakers in pairs if that makes finding the money easier. If you do that, replace the top ones first because that's what you're hearing for the most part. Whatever you do for replacement speakers, be sure not to mix impedance; either get all 8-ohm or all 16.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

+1
                        But I would suggest replacing them in an X pattern.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the Avatar Hellatone 25 would be a good upgrade. $79 on sale right now and that comes with free break in and shipping. I think Avatar is good value for the money.
                          My Sound Clips

Comment

I'm assuming the tone issue is one of harshness.

One other option might be simply to rewire the cab with only two of the four speakers connected. This will allow you to push the two operational speakers a little harder, and the disconnected ones will act as passive radiators, helping to round out the tone a bit. With a low power amp you might even be able to use just one speaker, if the amp will handle a 16Ω load.

If you do wind up buying speakers, for a low power head like that you really only need to get one.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I wouldn't say the speakers are bad but they are not everyone's cup of tea. I would sell the cab before putting $300 worth of speakers in it. The best bet would be to check out the used market. Depending on your budget there is some good bang for your buck cabs out there. Crate, Fender and Peavy 4x12 cabs can be found on the cheap in the secondary market. Try moving around the room a bit to find your sweet spot. If you are playing right in front of the amp, you do not hear the full spectrum of tone.

The MX412A is an entry level Marshall, but with the right tweaking and patience, you should be able to squeeze usable tone out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X