banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Things That I Am Completely Down With, But I don't Need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Things That I Am Completely Down With, But I don't Need.

It's taken me 30 some odd years to kind of come with my bass tone. However, my bass tone changes from song to song when I record. Some of my songs need a Spector with its unique tone and growl from the SSD pickups. Some of my songs need a more punchy tone from my Schecter with hot stack P/J pickups. However, there is always one thing that I've tried to keep constant about my bass tone. I want every note to be heard, and I want a really nice low end to it as well.

During the 12 years that I spent playing in a band in my youth, I played through a few different cabinets to achieve such a tone. I used Carvin heads which were bi-ampable. I would run my highs into a 2x12 cab, and my lows into a 1x18 cabinet when we first started. As years progressed and we started playing bigger places, my rig got bigger. It was crazy to be honest with you. I was running two Carvin bass heads. A PB 400 and a PB 500. One head was running the 2x15 tune ported cab with just tons of lows and 1x18 with tons of punchy lows, and the other head was running the Carvin 2x12 cabinet with punchy highs and a Cerwin Vega Sub type cabinet with a ton of lows.

Anyways over the years of doing recording, I finally came up with a way to somewhat get that sound. Actually, I just recently came up with it, and then all of a sudden I have seen where Tech21 is kind of doing the same thing.

First off, when it comes to bass tones, I really like a CLEAN bass tone. Now, as much as I love the tones of Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, John Entwhistle, and especially Dug Pinnick, I'm just not a distorted bass tone kind of guy.

Anyways, I finally came up with a cool tone in the past year or so to achieve my tone that I had years ago. I run my bass into an aby pedal. Depending on the song, I try and get a nice clean punchy tone with either my Behringer V Tone Bass Modeler, My Hartke Bass Attack, or my Bass simulation of an SVT from my Eleven rack. Now sometimes I may use a combination of those at once to get a cool tone. But, the piece la resistance that I use is my old ass Line 6 Bass Pod. I use the Sub Dub setting along with my higher punchy tone.

So, this is what that sounds like with my higher punchy/growly tone using the Eleven Rack SVT and the Sub Dub together.

Anyways, back to my original thought. Both of these look like great products, and they seem to do what I do by running an ABY pedal.

Re: Two Things That I Am Completely Down With, But I don't Need.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by JOLLY; 02-04-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Great price points on both of those pedals, by the way!!

Comment

I was playing around with running a bass amp and guitar amp in parallel for a bit (Mesa Strategy 8:88/Dual Rectifier), but it's a lot of sh*t to carry around and difficult to get the soundman to work with you when you're not the one paying him.

Both the Geddy and dUg Sansamps were recommended to me, but the Geddy seemed a bit tame while the dUg was a bit "too signature".

I would up picking up the Darkglass Alpha/Omega, which blends three separate signals. Clean/scooped distortion/mid-heavy distortion. I was a little leary about it at first as I associate Darkglass with djent, but now that I have it I can say it's really versatile, and used in moderation does a great job of producing a blended multiple tube amp kind of vibe.

The Alpha/Omega was meant to emulate a complex studio rig that included DI's for the low and mic'd guitar amps for the highs, so the pedal gives you have a mid heavy grinding amp that's sitting in a pocket of classic scooped mid, which itself is sitting in a pocket of massive clean bass.

The switches are pretty cool. Both switches off is kind of a bass amp and guitar amp running in parallel and with the gain lower gives you fairly classic overdrive mixed with clean. Switch the growl switch up and it injects a lot of low end pre-distortion, which blows out the low mids and creates a chunky distortion (also adds some upper mids, but 90% of the fun happens in the low mids). The bite switch produces a boost at 2.8k, which accents the pick attack and fret clank. All off this is mixed with clean bass, so you can go a bit crazy with your midrange while your low end stays consistent.

|| Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

They've also announced an A/O Ultra, which adds more shaping to the midrange, but more importantly it allows you to install a cabinet IR on the DI output.

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                They've also announced an A/O Ultra, which adds more shaping to the midrange, but more importantly it allows you to install a cabinet IR on the DI output.

So you're telling me that this thing lets you choose your cab for the DI sound?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  So you're telling me that this thing lets you choose your cab for the DI sound?

Yes. You can plug a USB into it and load a custom cab IR.

Comment

^^
                    Nice!

Comment

Lovin' that bass tone Jolly!
                      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

That’s a lot of growl for a clean tone. Dig it!
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Fantastic sound quality.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                          X