banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk about Okoume as a Tonewood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's talk about Okoume as a Tonewood...

I was under the (vague, possibly incorrect) impression that okoume was just the more accurate name for what we've been calling "African Mahogany" for years. Is it actually a different tree?
    African Mahogany is KHAYA.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Being Used in the Squier Offset Tele. This is the Natural colour. Looks better in surf green IMO
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Offset Tele Squier 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	5820859
      Dave's not here man.

Comment

My very first run of guitars I made in 2013-2015 were made of okoume and I had to make a strat recently out of this wood as well. My views:

- it's super lightweight
        - it's soft
        - it's cheap
        - it works great (sands and routs easily)
        - the dust is a nightmare. When I picked it up this spring after not having used it for five years I remembered again why I stopped using it: you need squeaky clean, fresh filters and respirators if you work with this stuff because the dust is so fine, it clogs up your filters immediately
        - it's a tonal chameleon. Make strat out of it, and it sounds like a great strat (soft highs, great quacky tones, bouncy low end, hollow/scooped mids) but make an LP out of it with a maple top and it sounds like mahogany.

It's a great alternative for the known woods and so, so much better than basswood.

Comment

Its a pretty wood, but I haven't had any experience with it. Bring on the alternative woods and materials, I say.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Right. You'd think I'd remember that from having bought raw Khaya blanks, but alas.

In any case, the (still relatively) new Mariposa from EBMM is made from Okoume. I didn't plug it in, but when I briefly held and played one, I was struck by how light and resonant it seemed.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            African Mahogany is KHAYA.
            ---------------------------
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a pic of it? I'd love to see an instrument made out of it.

I have a similar Ibanez to that, only had it maybe 6months now, but I've loved it so far it's all Okoume except for bridge and fretboard(not 100% what that is, but its much darker) It has a nice pattern, and has already darkened slightly just in the time I've had it, was fairly cheap(under $300) and new nut,saddle,endpins,tuners plays/sounds as nice as a lot of higher end stuff I've had. I was surprisingly impressed with it, had never heard of the wood myself either at the time of purchase one of those impulse buys that actually worked out for a change

Am about to do a tele body with some(stumbled upon forum here while making sure I didn't just want to go ahead and go maple(I'm poor and also hate working maple)

Should be pics of Ibanez if I figured out how to attach some
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                My very first run of guitars I made in 2013-2015 were made of okoume and I had to make a strat recently out of this wood as well. My views:

- it's super lightweight
                - it's soft
                - it's cheap
                - it works great (sands and routs easily)
                - the dust is a nightmare. When I picked it up this spring after not having used it for five years I remembered again why I stopped using it: you need squeaky clean, fresh filters and respirators if you work with this stuff because the dust is so fine, it clogs up your filters immediately
                - it's a tonal chameleon. Make strat out of it, and it sounds like a great strat (soft highs, great quacky tones, bouncy low end, hollow/scooped mids) but make an LP out of it with a maple top and it sounds like mahogany.

It's a great alternative for the known woods and so, so much better than basswood.

Thanks, was looking for someone who had done some work with it before I hopped into a project! appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by dzdandcunfsd View Post
                  I have a similar Ibanez to that, only had it maybe 6months now, but I've loved it so far it's all Okoume except for bridge and fretboard(not 100% what that is, but its much darker) It has a nice pattern, and has already darkened slightly just in the time I've had it, was fairly cheap(under $300) and new nut,saddle,endpins,tuners plays/sounds as nice as a lot of higher end stuff I've had. I was surprisingly impressed with it, had never heard of the wood myself either at the time of purchase one of those impulse buys that actually worked out for a change

Am about to do a tele body with some(stumbled upon forum here while making sure I didn't just want to go ahead and go maple(I'm poor and also hate working maple)

Should be pics of Ibanez if I figured out how to attach some
                  I'd be totally cool with the way that looks.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X