banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a good EQ pedal make a decent amp sound amazing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a good EQ pedal make a decent amp sound amazing?

I didn't know whether to put this under pedals or amplifiers, so I chose the one with the most people viewing it. I have a decent setup, a Ampeg GVT5 head into a Marshall MX412a. I was wondering if I could get a cheap pedal (a Behringer EQ700) could take my setup to the next level for a low price?

Re: Can a good EQ pedal make a decent amp sound amazing?

Cheap eq pedals can be kinda noisy, your milage may vary.
    An equal pedal helps in my opinion most if it's placed late in the signal, like in the amp fx loop.
    If you can't do that, I don't find the eq as useful except for small changes to balance the tone of different guitars or pickups. Not for sculpting the amp sound.

If you're using distortion pedals you can experiment with eq pedals before and after, you can see that the placement of eq can make a lot of difference in how much it colors things.

That said, sounds like your 412 cabinet might be the issue.
    I would say eq is not the ticket but to work on trading up to a better cab. The mx series has a different sound and eq pedals wont help that very much

Comment

I'd say unless $20 is going to throw you into financial ruin, it's worth a try.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
        An equal pedal helps in my opinion most if it's placed late in the signal, like in the amp fx loop.
        If you can't do that, I don't find the eq as useful except for small changes to balance the tone of different guitars or pickups. Not for sculpting the amp sound.

If you're using distortion pedals you can experiment with eq pedals before and after, you can see that the placement of eq can make a lot of difference in how much it colors things.
        I was considering upgrading my amp to a Joyo Jackman, which has an effects loop. So your saying that I could put an EQ in the effects loop and that might help?

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        I'd say unless $20 is going to throw you into financial ruin, it's worth a try.
        That's what I was thinking before I posted this thread.

Comment

Just a bit of a "the more you know" moment about your cab, but did you know it's called the MX412 for a very simple reason? Because you'll spend a max of $412 trying to get quality speakers.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

^ ha
            seriously he's right. That cab is famous for making people go on tone quests. New cab usually fixes it.

An EQ pedal is good for small tonal changes, may sound harsh if you boost or cut and band too much, but they are cheap, I have a $20 danelectro eq. I have barely used it since getting an amp I really liked, it's still useful to have a preset volume boost or cut on a switch instead of searching quickly for some number on the guitar volume. And you can add a little mid boost or cut or such things. or if you like my amp one channel has no mid knob, and EQ pedal can give you a little control.

Comment

You know what I've always wondered? The MX412 is so commonly bashed, but people for some reason love the MX212, which is essentially the thing with two less speakers. What exactly don't you like about the 412?

Comment

Longtime eq pedal user here. They work really well for tweaking your sound but do not transform your amp into something totally different. A little boost or cut here and there can be great but it isn't a night and day sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                  Longtime eq pedal user here. They work really well for tweaking your sound but do not transform your amp into something totally different. A little boost or cut here and there can be great but it isn't a night and day sort of thing.
                  It can help a lot. For example for classic rock I use the crunch channel for rhythm and lead for soloing with thicker sound. But if I want my lead channel for metal rythm I prefer to cut lower mids a bit for more clarity and add a bit of higher mids for more presence in the mix, then I turn the graph eq pedal off to get a ticker and louder sound for soloing.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

IMO, hell yes. In the loop it can do wonders for sculpting the very critical midrange, getting it just right. It can also add resonance to a tiny sounding cabinet, and add some evil top in the high-end to an amp that sounds too sweet.

It won't make your Vox sound like a Randall, but everyone should give them a try in their rig.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post

That said, sounds like your 412 cabinet might be the issue.
                      I would say eq is not the ticket but to work on trading up to a better cab. The mx series has a different sound and eq pedals wont help that very much
                      Yup. That cab isn't the cab to use if you want to get the best out of a tube amp. Cheaply made with cheap speakers.
                      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

I love how the OP asks for advice on an EQ, and everyone bashes his cab. The Marshall MX412a is not a top of the line cab, but it is not going to make the OP's tone bad in any way. I have an MX212 that I love. The cab sounded great with tube and solid state heads with the original speakers.

So to answer the OP's original question - Yes, an EQ will give you a ton of tone shaping. You can also use the EQ as a boost to push your tube head a little harder. This will provide you with a bunch of different dynamics and tones. If the Berringer is the only EQ in your budget range go for it. Keep in mind as others have said inexpensive EQs can be noisy. I would throw another $20 - 25 dollars at the situation and look for a used MXR 6 band EQ or similar quality on eBay or Reverb.

Comment

I won't lie for some reason I was thinking of the MG cabs
                          The MX are not bad

Comment

Working...
                          X