No announcement yet.

How is Epiphone’s quality these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How is Epiphone’s quality these days?

Originally posted by Ben1962 View Post
    The Alt8? Not bad at all, very powerful. I got that alt8 on your advice BTW. Goldie has the Pegasus and Sentient. That one I replaced the entire harness and it sounds just a little better the rest IMHO. I love all 4 of em. Bout 700 or 800 bux and they scream. I will get a real Gibson 1 day, but I just have a feeling if I do I may be disappointed. See the cheaper guitars, I will scotchbrite the back of the necks or whatever I want. A Gibson, no way. My chops arent good enough for a $3000 guitar, and I would also be worried to take it out. Goldie weighs a ton, man she sings tho.
    After owning 4 Epis, when you finally get a "real" Gibson, I suspect that you will be terrible disappointed in the obvious lack of quality control and you will probably kick yourself every day for wasting so much money on it.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
      I am about to pull the trigger on a new guitar. I am going back and fourth between 2 epi’s. I can’t really try either one locally. So I was wondering what the general thought was on their quality now? The 2 I am looking at are the Brent hinds V and the inspired by 1955 les Paul.
      Man I've got an Epiphone Sheraton Pro II and it's just dope for it's price! Default pickups and everything, so I believe there's space to make it even better (or just different).

I posted a video yesterday, so you can check it out! And a Happy New Year for everyone

Comment

My brand new Epiphone LZZY HALE custom is just near perfect as far as qc goes. Fit and finish are great.

Mahogany, ebony, board and frets are great.

I like (not love) the pickups, but for what I have it doing, I'll need to replace them.

I am very pleased with it.
        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Generally, OK, but you still need to do most of the typical import upgrades if you want it to really feel like a great guitar. Nut and fret dressing are the ones that really make a huge difference. It's possible that you also might benefit from installing improved hardware. But their pickups have got MUCH better IMO. OTOH, their prices are creeping up. The last Epi I bought had a retail price pf $900 with HSC. I talked them down to $700, but it still felt expensive in the end. It was a Bonamassa signature V (got it because it was a cool guitar, not because it's his signature model).
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I tried out an epiphone vivian campbell in the store the other day. I thought was was very nice. Looked, felt and sounded very nice.

Comment

I have an Epi LP that I dare any other guitar to compete against in Quality control, playability, tone, price, appearance, or any other parameter you want to impose. (And at 20% of the cost of a "real Gibson", it's a no brainer that doesn't even deserve comment).

Yes I replaced pups with Duncans (Alt8 + Demon), Grover locking tuners, Nashville bridge, and compensated nut.
              Last edited by GuitarDoc; 01-07-2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

My Epiphone Florentine is perfect
                I put locking tuners on it
                A roller bridge, because I could , not that it needed one
                And a TP6 tailpiece
                And I broke one of the push pulls swapping knobs
                So I swapped the push pull for push push, which I like
                The switch and Probucker pickups are excellent
                The fit and finish are spot on
                Neck feels perfect in my hand
                Thin and slim like my Ibanez Wizard II

It's a 2014 I think
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have a '55 LP Custom Epi and I got it with all the electronics upgraded to CTS/Switchcraft/Lenzite and a set of Throbak A2 P90s. Did a little setup work and have been playing it on gigs. It has kinda replaced my 2001 R6 Goldtop that I've used for the last 18 years.

Comment

Throughout the past 15-20 years I've owned (and STILL own) about a dozen Epis. I've never had one with any quality issues. The biggest problem with past Epis has been their electronics, esp their pups. But with their recent issue of upgraded pups, the probuckers, that problem has been eliminated.

Have I had to do work on them? Yes, fret work and complete tune-up. But I've had to do that with EVERY guitar I've bought, even my Gibsons worth $3500. In fact the Gibsons required a LOT more fretwork (filling in the gap between the fret ends and the binding nibs) than ANY other guitar I own. I totally hate the way Gibson does their neck binding. It's either a horrible design to begin with or Gibson's quality control (at least in this area) is the absolute worst on the market. I'm not necessarily a "Gibson hater" (I currently own and love 4 Gibsons, and have owned 4 others in the past), but even if you are a Gibson lover you have to face the fact that their quality has suffered greatly since their golden age.

Comment

An Epiphone is not a Gibson ....

Prefer a Les Paul Tribute to an Epi Standard. No photo.

My 2017 Les Paul Tribute Gold Top, fantastic guitar, a pure Gibson.

Last edited by GibSG; 01-07-2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I had a nice amber flame top LP Standard Plus in 2004 that was a real player. The pickups and electronics were garbage but the rest of it was solid, even the hardware. I've kept up with Epiphone over the years since I sold it and each time I pick one up in the shops they feel better and better. Last month I sampled 3 that all played incredibly well and their necks felt really comfortable. There's been a definite improvement over the years since they began building them in their own factory.

Comment

I had an Epi LP back in the early 2000s, put a Dimarizio in it, sounded amazing. Had this crazy big gold flake finish. Played great, had a few QC issues, some of the tuner screws were installed crooked, could never find a toggle switch cover that fit either. I do recall the word "Reissue" was stamped into the back of the headstock before it had been finished.
                          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                          Jackson Soloist 7 string
                          ESP LTD M-400
                          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by GibSG View Post
                            My 2017 Les Paul Tribute Gold Top, fantastic guitar, a pure Gibson.

Now, that Gibson was done right! ...no neck binding with those stupid nubs.

Great looking guitar.

Comment

Just worked on someone's brand new Epiphone Les Paul Standard tonight, installing a Super Distortion and giving it a setup. Pretty solid guitar. No high frets. Tuners work fine. Stock pickups weren't bad. Very playable, and set up pretty well from the factory. Didn't see any flaws to mention.

Comment

^+1

Comment

Working...
                                X