'woody' P bass pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'woody' P bass pickup?

And no, I don't mean Allen Woody, though that might not be too far off.

What are your recommendations for a 'woody' sounding P bass pickup?

Any and all brands entertained.

And I hope this is the right forum, as opposed to the pickup forum. If not, just let me know.

Re: 'woody' P bass pickup?

Can you give some examples of what you are going for? Don't discount the impact string material might have, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

clips of what you are after would be helpful

Comment

OK, maybe this isn't the best high fidelity clip, but I think it demonstrates the concept pretty well.

The Marshall Tucker Band - Can't You SeeRecorded Live: 9/10/1973 - Grand Opera House - Macon, GAMore The Marshall Tucker Band at Music Vault: http://www.musi...

Comment

Bueller?

Comment

Just about any vintage-style P-bass pickup should do that. If you're on a budget, the SPB-1 would be good or an Antiquity if you've got a bigger budget. IMO that sound is more about the amp and maybe speakers than the pickup used. I'm not sure what amp he used BITD, but I've seen some recent pics with a NMV Ampeg SVT. To get that sort of grit out of an SVT you'd need to play LOUD.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Well, I didn't think it sounded like a normal SVT, but, and pardon my ignorance, what is an 'NMV' SVT?

Comment

My guess is 'non master volume'. I agree, though. It sounds like a P-Bass into a tube amp. There is some distortion there. I don't think you'd need an actual SVT, though- a much smaller amp could do it, although you might need some sort of very slight overdrive. The pickup sounds like a regular P-Bass, so any of the vintage offerings would work.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, it sounds tube, but still it doesn't sound SVT to me. I could be wrong, though. It's happened before.

A question then, about the Antiquity P-Bass 'Raised A'.

Judging from the picture, and what to me would be common sense, isn't that really a raised G?

Comment

the antiquity II p bass pup is what id go for. to me, thats the old school p bass tone i want.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      My guess is 'non master volume'. I agree, though. It sounds like a P-Bass into a tube amp. There is some distortion there. I don't think you'd need an actual SVT, though- a much smaller amp could do it, although you might need some sort of very slight overdrive. The pickup sounds like a regular P-Bass, so any of the vintage offerings would work.
                      NMV does mean non-master volume. The pic I found could have been a recent SVT-VR, or an original silver face SVT from the 70s. The actual amp isn't super important, and you could probably get similar grit from a pedal. The speaker cabinet is a big part of the sound too; those Ampeg 8x10 cabs don't have horns and they also aren't super tight sounding by today's standards. If I were trying to replicate that sound today I'd want a cabinet without a horn (or one that can be turned off) to start with. You might also want to look into 12" or 15" speaker(s) as most new 10" speakers won't have that same sort of loose feel.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                      X