Recommendation for a first bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for a first bass

I got a Helix LT on the way and I'd like to try recording some bass along with my guitar since it has models for both. So I'm looking for a cheap bass (<$400 used).

I know literally nothing about basses. I want to play classic rock and metal. What features should I look for in terms of scale length (I don't even know what the common ones are for basses), pickups (are humbuckers also a thing on basses and do you typically want them for heavier music?), etc.

Or should I pick up a Squire P-bass or Jazz bass like everyone else and not over-think it? Is there a reason I never see Epiphone basses (or Gibson for that matter) being mentioned?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Re: Recommendation for a first bass

I've had a couple Gibson/Epiphone basses; unless you really want those specific sounds (EB0, EB3, Thunderbird) there are better choices. I used to primarily be a bass player, and in all honesty I never over-thought it at that point (not like I do now with guitar.) Getting back into bass after several years I "just picked up a J bass" (Squier VM 70s) and it's everything I could want. I tried a bunch and it just felt/sounded best in its price range. EBMM Sterling basses are good as well, and could get you humbucker tone if that's what you want.

Basically I just suggest avoiding short scale (30") basses unless you try one first and know you prefer that.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

See, now I have almost the opposite opinion. I do agree on the part about not overthinking it, though.

First off, unless you're going to be in a professional studio setting, with a real, quality bass amp, and you're really picky about your bass tone, and you're just doing this at home through a modeler, I don't think you're really going to notice that much of a difference. Also, unless you're playing something where the bass is mixed pretty far forward, again, you're probably not going to notice.

A Squire will probably do just fine, and if you don't think the sound is up to par, then swap out the pickups. If you're going for classic rock and metal, I'd say a P bass is the obvious choice, but really, just like guitar, you really can do any kind of music with anything. You can play metal on a 335 if that's the guitar you like best.

Depending on the exact type of classic rock and metal, the other choice might be a Rick 4001, as that's a pretty specific sound. That would, however, definitely be significantly above your stated price range (and, unfortunately, mine too).

Everybody will tell you to go for a long scale (34") for tonal reasons. If you were a professional bass player, I might tend to agree. But for what you're doing, I'd recommend a short scale (30"). It will make the transition from guitar infinitely easier. They are selling Fender Mustang basses again, in a few different variations. I have an old, original late 60's Mustang that can hang with the best of them in the genres you mentioned. I can't vouch for the current pickup offerings as I haven't played them. You'll have to do your own research there.

Oddly enough, I have an Epi EBO bass that doesn't sound anything like what an EBO should. I don't know if I got an oddball or what. Maybe it's the strings, but to me, it sounds like what I would call 'classic metal' Very bass piano sound. Think Boston's 'Foreplay".

And I don't know if you're concerned about resale value or not. I never have been, because the concept of selling a guitar is so foreign to me.

Here's what I would do. Find a bass that feels good to you, that speaks to you. If you're not thrilled with the sound, is it a type that you can get aftermarket pickups for?

And don't forget about the strings. If you're looking at used basses, just remember that they might have really crappy or really old strings on it, which can throw you're perception of the instrument way off, in terms of both sound and feel.

And for what you're doing, you definitely want roundwounds on it, whatever it is.

Good luck, and happy hunting. Wish I could be looking for a new bass.

Comment

A P or Jazz would be OK, but the Squier Jag basses were a nice surprise for me. Also, Epiphone's Toby bass is a great bass. The Squiers are good, I've owned several of each - but right now I am playing a Toby and really digging it. It's very comfortable to wear and play, and sounds terrific. The best part? You can find excellent used basses right now for less than $200. It's a good time to buy low-buck basses.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

It doesn't really matter. All bass are the same anyway.

But in seriousness, the Epiphone Thunderbird Pro is a pretty solid active bass that can be had for <$400 used and comes with either 4 or 5 strings. It's my only bass and the only one I think I'll ever need, given I'm in a similar boar as you when it comes to bass playing.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Heck, you can get a new Squier Jazz bass under $400
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Get a used Ibanez SDGR. From your username I’m guessing that you already know that they make some damned fine instruments, even in their “cheaper” lines. I got mine used for $250. The neck is standard long scale, but thin and fast (nice for the transition from guitar) and the active pickups sound great.

Originally posted by The Commodores?
              "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                Get a used Ibanez SDGR. From your username I’m guessing that you already know that they make some damned fine instruments, even in their “cheaper” lines. I got mine used for $250. The neck is standard long scale, but thin and fast (nice for the transition from guitar) and the active pickups sound great.
                +1

I found longcat's SR400 used on Guitar Center's website for $160 shipped. It didn't include a case or gig bag, but it did have an EMG P/J set installed. WIN.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                  A P or Jazz would be OK, but the Squier Jag basses were a nice surprise for me. Also, Epiphone's Toby bass is a great bass. The Squiers are good, I've owned several of each - but right now I am playing a Toby and really digging it. It's very comfortable to wear and play, and sounds terrific. The best part? You can find excellent used basses right now for less than $200. It's a good time to buy low-buck basses.
                  I have one of those Toby basses and use an MXR M80 direct into the board and it sounds fantastic. Even my singer, who has been a bass player in a big regional band for 20 years, thinks it sounds great. My other suggestion would be to grab something with both P and J pickups, so you have more flexibility and can dial in the right tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post
                    I got a Helix LT on the way and I'd like to try recording some bass along with my guitar since it has models for both. So I'm looking for a cheap bass (<$400 used).

I know literally nothing about basses. I want to play classic rock and metal. What features should I look for in terms of scale length (I don't even know what the common ones are for basses), pickups (are humbuckers also a thing on basses and do you typically want them for heavier music?), etc.

Or should I pick up a Squire P-bass or Jazz bass like everyone else and not over-think it? Is there a reason I never see Epiphone basses (or Gibson for that matter) being mentioned?

Standard scale length for electric bass-guitar is 34 inches. Short scales are usually 30 inches.

The main pickup choices will be Precision Bass pickups or Jazz Bass pickups. P-Bass pickups are smoother and bassier; they are hum-bucking via the use of two short coils to make the single pickup. J-Bass pickups are more middy and present; they are single coils. Either type is so malleable that it can play anything you throw at them. For what you described, I would tend to favor the J-style pickup. However, many a great classic rock and heavy metal bass tone was achieved with a stock P (Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, and more)...so remember, it really doesn't matter which. They are both great, and will get the job done...so go for the one that looks the best to you.

Another distinction between P and J pickups is that the traditional P layout is one pickup, about centered between the bridge and the neck heel. The traditional J layout has one pickup about there, and another one in between there and the bridge. That bridge pickup tends to run quiet compared to the main pickup, so when playing live, it is often used blended in, rather than used alone. (Personally, I could do without the treble pickup. I literally never use it, even blended in.)

You don't need high output pickups or humbuckers to play the styles you mentioned. You just need the amp to work for those styles.

For your budget and your uses, I would grab a used Mexican-made Jazz Bass or Precision Bass for $250 to $350, and spend the money to give it a nice setup and fret dressing (the weakest point of MIM Fenders is the frets), and call it good. It doesn't need better pickups or electronics; the stock ones are fine (and way better than Squier pickups and electronics IMO). If anything, a MIM bass benefits from a bridge replacement...but it's not necessary for your purposes.

I would say go '90's Japanese-made Fender instead, but those have gone way up in value now. They are no longer reliably $400 instruments. And while the general build quality of the MIJs is clearly superior to the MIMs, the MIMs have better pickups and electronics IME, so that's one less thing you might feel the need to swap out.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-26-2018, 07:20 PM.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I got a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar bass. Amazing value.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post
                        I got a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar bass. Amazing value.

Indeed – great value. New or used?
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                          Indeed – great value. New or used?
                          New. From Amazon. People wanted more for used ones on Kijiji than the Amazon price that week so it was a simple decision.

Comment

Working...
                          X