Best Speakers For 4×12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Speakers For 4×12?

I'm looking to replace the speakers in my Marshall 4x12. The current cheap speakers aren't really doing it for me, boomy bass, almost nonexistant mids, and ice pick highs. I was looking for some nice budget- maybe WGS- speakers that could get me a nice classic rock tone. I love the tone of my 1x10 with this amp, so I know it's the 4x12 that's the problem. There's just a volume issue with the smaller cab.

I'm looking to do the ol' 2 different sets of speakers in an x pattern thing. I want a decent, but not overbearing amount of bass, big powerful mids, and a slightly rolled off high end, but still able to do cleans. The one thing I know is I'm in the group that doesn't like V30s, but I do kinda like Greenbacks from what I've heard of them.

Re: Best Speakers For 4×12?

What is in there now?
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

If the OP is referring to the same problem Marshall 412 he has in the past, it has a set of G12E-60s. This is basically a cheap and crappy version of the G12-60, which is a special edition Vintage 30 with a slightly darker voicing. I replaced the G12Es in my MX412 set with a set of G12s and the tone radically improved, but they are a bit pricey, and you're looking for cheaper speakers.

I'll say that you should consider the impedance of the speakers to make sure they match if you do end up going with mixing and matching, as well as considering to make sure that your amp is built to work with the combined impedance of the speakers, if you do decide to change from the stock 16 ohm total. And also consider speaker efficiency, you don't want one set to over power the other.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

That is correct, I am still using the MX412. I actually just got someone to buy the speakers all four for $165, which isn't bad considering I got the whole cab for $275.

Comment

These are still on sale

Excellent bang for the buck here

-Chris

Comment

These are great and affordable! Only available in 8Ω though...if that's an issue.

The Eminence Legend GB128 guitar speaker helps clean up your act. Cleaner British voiced tone with a full low end, warm, throaty mids and a very open top end. Turn up the volume and turn back the clock.
            Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
            "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Gotta love prime

-Chris

Comment

closed back 4x12...
                greenbacks if you want warm and forgiving,
                or g12h30s if you want to sound like hendrix
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I have a 2x12 with one Greenback and one G12t-75. I think that would do what you’re looking for.
                  The greenback is actually a Splawn Small Block. They are made by Eminence and are basically a 55W Greenback. They sound fantastic. You have to buy them through Splawn though. Iirc $95....?

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                    closed back 4x12...
                    greenbacks if you want warm and forgiving,
                    or g12h30s if you want to sound like hendrix
                    The 75Hz G12H30’s would be my first choice. But they’re not cheap.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Thanks for the options, but some of these are too pricey, I'm trying to stay in the sub-$100 per speaker range. As for impedance being an issue, my amp can handle both 8Ω and 16Ω.

Comment

What's your amp wattage?
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

5w, but I'm thinking about replacing it with a 20w Joyo Bantamp.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                            Thanks for the options, but some of these are too pricey, I'm trying to stay in the sub-$100 per speaker range.
                            If you're willing to spend up to $400 on speakers, I'd sell that MX cab unloaded on Craigslist for $100. Take the $265 you just got out of selling that MX cab, add in the $400 you're willing to spend on speakers, and get a good used cab with quality speakers. I'd recommend looking at Bogner, Mesa, or Orange depending on the flavor you're after. A good quality cab will beat that MX cab regardless of speakers. And depending on where you're located, buying a good used cab will be cheaper than fixing the old one.

Comment

Well, Green Berets are WGS's take on the Greenback.

And if you're replacing them all four speakers, take a look into the Eminence Legend GB12's.

Comment

Working...
                              X