Best Speakers For 4×12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Speakers For 4×12?

I've been doing some research and came across mostly positive reviews for the Eminence Legend V12 and Legend GB128. Which do you think I'll like more? Given they total up to $240 for all speakers, either looks like a good choice.

Comment

Considering that Amazon is selling the MX 4x12 for $260, brand new and loaded, I doubt he can get $265 on craigslist for that cab, empty, or loaded. I'd take the $165 for the speakers.

I got an MDF 4x12 that I paid next to nothing for ($25). It had no back panel, grill cloth was all but gone but the "tolex" and everything else was in good shape. I built a new baffle board out of decent ply, built a back panel out of the same (and covered it with tolex) and installed grill cloth. I've got less than 100 bucks in it. It's a big cab (1960 sized) the shell is still MDF, it's heavy, and I wouldn't drag it out to gigs but it sounds fantastic.

I wouldn't put any real money into trying to improve an MDF cabinet that I paid full price for. However, new speakers can always be transferred to a better cabinet at a later date. But as speed2dirt points out, one consideration is whether you can buy a better cabinet (maybe used but nice condition) already loaded with speakers that you like, for the price it will cost you to load up the MX with new speakers. Otherwise, that $165 is only 80 bucks shy of 4, brand new Emi GB128's. Or, about 1/2 of the way there to 4 x WGS's.

ps. I really dig my WGS Invaders.

Comment

Everyone has an opinion, but I really think you would be better off selling the empty Marshall and then look into a quality 2x12. There is simply no reason to spend the extra coin on a 4x12 when you are already on a budget.

$450 will get you this cabinet would be perfect and you can have your choice of premium Celestions. One G12H and one G12M would be fantastic

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Can't regular greenbacks be had for $99 each and done? Or otherwise the Eminence equivalents. They sound great and should solve the original complaint.

Comment

Occasionally the Greenbacks can be found for 100 bucks. Probably common enough, used. See them all the time at around $120 or so from big retailers as returns.
            The Emi GB128's are only 60 bucks new.
            WGS are around 80 bucks, new.

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
              These are great and affordable! Only available in 8Ω though...if that's an issue.

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/spe...l=Legend_GB128
              Originally posted by Ayrton View Post

whats the diff tween these??

I want to update a cab I have too, but the amount of speaker choices boggles my mind...
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                I have a 2x12 with one Greenback and one G12t-75. I think that would do what you’re looking for.
                The greenback is actually a Splawn Small Block. They are made by Eminence and are basically a 55W Greenback. They sound fantastic. You have to buy them through Splawn though. Iirc $95....?
                You sure about this info on the Small Blocks?? Not doubting you, just that I have a splawn cab with SBs and know nothing about the speakers other than they are Splawn Small Blocks and sound good.. haha So, its nice to have some background knowledge
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post

I want to update a cab I have too, but the amount of speaker choices boggles my mind...
                  Nothing
                  -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                  “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Best Speakers For 4×12?

You sure about this info on the Small Blocks?? Not doubting you, just that I have a splawn cab with SBs and know nothing about the speakers other than they are Splawn Small Blocks and sound good.. haha So, its nice to have some background knowledge
                    That’s the way I always understood it. I got whatever info I know from the Splawn fans forum.

Edit:
                    Just found this

Last edited by Gtrjunior; 03-05-2018, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Splawn speakers are made by Eminence, or at least they were. So while those Small Blocks may be based on a Celestion Greenback, they aren't Celestions.

Comment

I've heard the GB128. Never the 1258. But they aren't the same speaker as far as I know. The GB128 is supposed to be the inexpensive Legend series "copy", or based on, the Celestion Greenback. Eminence has a couple other speakers that get play on the forums as being close to Greenbacks. Plenty of debate about which ones sound the closest.

I think you are already in that Greenback territory with your Splawn Small Blocks.

Comment

My current 4x12 load up is my favorite of all my years of owning 4x12s. EVH Greenbacks on top and H30s on bottom. So crunchy and full, without all of the icepicky V30 thing. I've ditched all of my V30s.

I also have a Creamback 65-loaded Friedman 1x12 that sounds great, but the 4x12 has such a full, satisfying sound.
                          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                            Splawn speakers are made by Eminence, or at least they were. So while those Small Blocks may be based on a Celestion Greenback, they aren't Celestions.
                            Correct. Unless I missed it, I don’t think anyone claimed they were Celestions....?

Comment

Correct. Unless I missed it, I don’t think anyone claimed they were Celestions....?
                              My Quickrod 4x12 is loaded with Smallblocks and it's the best sounding slant cab I've ever had. I'm normally more of a straight cab guy.
                              "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

No, nobody did. But in your earlier post you stated ... "I have a 2x12 with one Greenback and one G12t-75. I think that would do what you’re looking for.
                                The greenback is actually a Splawn Small Block. They are made by Eminence and are basically a 55W Greenback. They sound fantastic. You have to buy them through Splawn though. Iirc $95....?"

I know what you were saying but I thought it may have been unclear to Bloodrose based on his reply. So, I just posted what I did for clarity.

Comment

Working...
                                X