banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Far Out Of Tune Can You Be Before People Start To Notice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Far Out Of Tune Can You Be Before People Start To Notice?

Given that all the strings are sharp or all the strings are flat, how out of tune can one be before the audience starts to notice, or more importantly, the piano guy trys to strangle you?

Re: How Far Out Of Tune Can You Be Before People Start To Notice?

the piano guy wants to strangle you anyways

if you do a lot of lead bending
    you can swoop into a note and it is far less noticeable

BB king did this for years

distorted metal chugging may not notice till its almost half a step
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Depends on the listener. Musicians are going to pick up on it a lot faster than the average person. There's bound to be some musicians in the crowd. As far as band mates, depends on how well they can hear you.

I saw Tab Benoit last year, he started off out of tune, and didn't check it for about 5 or 6 sounds. It was obviously out of tune to a musician's ears, but the crowd loved it regardless, of course most had a few drinks by then. When Tab finally realized he was out of tune, he didn't use a tuner. He just checked the guitar to itself, not to the bass player, so he still didn't get it in tune after that. To me it was annoying and a sign f complacency, I left early. Florida's warm/hot most of the year, and usually pretty humid, and you're in and out of a/c, which is cool and dry. That causes wooden stringed instruments to swell and contract. Checking your tuning is mandatory before starting a gig. He knows better.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

^ That's lame.

Are we talking about the entire instrument being sharp or flat of A=440, or you mean the guitar is out of tune with itself?
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Depends on what you play. Soloing in a jam band trio is more forgiving than being in a five or more piece band playing chords

Comment

Only cowboys play in tune.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Not far with me.

My wife is a Music Major & working Operatic Soprano, even less far with her.

Comment

I think there are many listeners who are sensitive. But not like "oh he is 10 cents flat on his D string". It just sounds wrong...they say the band sucks.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

if you hear your guitar is out....fix it
                  dont think...oh its not bad enough for the audience to notice, because chances are they will have noticed somethings wrong (even if theyr not sure what is wrong)

and more importantly, its already distracted you, and could put you off at the crucial moment

the guitar that never goes out....is something only in our dreams unfortunately

Comment

In a band, or by yourself? Just you probably would notice or care as long as the strings are in tune with each other. But in a band it doesn't take much to ruin the overall sound of the band. I played in a band with a guy who was never quite in tune. Replaced him with a 17-year-old kid who could not play nearly as well but used a tuner. The kid got better over time, but the other guy was still out of tune years later when I saw him.

Comment

How Far Out Of Tune Can You Be Before People Start To Notice?

In a bar with a fully liquored up crowd? You'd have to break a string on your floating Floyd guitar.

At a party with one or more kegs? Wouldn't matter. It would be taken as punk.

Anywhere else with "the average listener", about 1/8th of a pitch out and someone would be uncomfortable, walk out or throw something. It's too far out to just sound like a chorus effect.

Comment

There are so many defects in my playing that I'd be called out for being out of tone well before anyone would notice or care if I was out of tune

Comment

Has anyone asked Neil Young about this?

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                            the piano guy wants to strangle you anyways

Absolutely the best answer, the piano guy is merely tolerating the others
                            My Bands -
                            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                              Absolutely the best answer, the piano guy is merely tolerating the others
                              Thinking of those years of classical training wasted being a side man for a guy who was driving a tractor two months ago
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X