Staggered Versus Non-Staggered Tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staggered Versus Non-Staggered Tuners

I've got a Strat and I think that there are some tuning issues arising from the b and e strings rubbing on the string tree. Would staggered tuners improve this as well as my tuning in general with prolonged whammy use? My tuning isn't bad as is, but it's always nice to get better.

And what brands could you point me to? I've got a MIM Fender Standard. Edit: Are there any models that have all the posts the same length but the holes in different spots?

Re: Staggered Versus Non-Staggered Tuners

Gotoh makes some nice staggered-post tuners. Whether or not you'll be able to entirely ditch the string tree(s) it's difficult to say.

Before going too far in that direction, make sure that the nut is properly cut and lubricated. A well cut TUSQ-XL nut will probably be more helpful in resolving tuning issues than staggered-post tuners.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Also, if you get staggered tuners, they aren't there to replace the string trees, they are there to supplement it. You might also look into a roller tree to reduce friction.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Or since your looking to replace tuners, you could just get lockers and ditch the string tree.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Or since your looking to replace tuners, you could just get lockers and ditch the string tree.
          The purpose of the string tree is to provide a down angle behind the nut to keep the strings from buzzing in their nut slots. You'd still need it, even if you had locking tuners.

My suggestion to OP, raise your string tree a bit - you want just enough angle to keep the string from buzzing, not enough to cause friction when the string moves.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

On most strats
            Even staggered tuners need a tree on the high E and B
            A tusq tree works
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Some Chapstick on the underside of that tree will help.
              -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Some Chapstick on the underside of that tree will help.
                Also in the nut slots. I use raspberry flavor for best performance.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                  Also in the nut slots. I use raspberry flavor for best performance.
                  Please, everyone knows cherry is the best. I don't even know why they even offer others.
                  -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                  “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

^ Like these guys said, lubricate all the moving parts, including where the strings are rubbing. I use graphite courtesy of a #2 pencil.

Be sure to hit all the friction points on the bridge while you're at it.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      The purpose of the string tree is to provide a down angle behind the nut to keep the strings from buzzing in their nut slots. You'd still need it, even if you had locking tuners.

My suggestion to OP, raise your string tree a bit - you want just enough angle to keep the string from buzzing, not enough to cause friction when the string moves.
                      Works for me. No buzzing or any other trouble. Except that it is now possible to drop the high e outside the fretboard if digging too hard. I have light touch though, so it's no problem at all.

Ditching the string trees improved tone quite significantly: Plain strings got much airier and smoother tone and little more sustain. Not to mention that I can now do almost anything with standard strat trem without going out-of-tune.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I've got a Strat with two string trees and I can most do anything with the two point tremolo I have on it. A good string tree should cause no tuning issues. The only reason they are there is so that your guitar won't sound like a gosh darn sitar when unplugged.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

How would you get significantly "airier" tone by removing a string tree? You still have string contact at the nut on open strings and the fret on fretted notes. Not trying to be argumentative but I see these comments all the time regarding the nut (nut materials) and, sometimes, the string tree and I just don't get it. Physics is all but lost on me so I guess I'm just missing something.

Comment

I've replaced string trees with Graph Tech ones made from graphite. Now they function properly, I don't have to change tuners, and problem solved.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a Strat Deluxe with staggered lockers/LSR. No string trees from the factory, no issues. I have one guitar I run without a tree and non-staggered tuners (it used to have staggered lockers.) No issue with the staggered tuners before, but now the high E pops out if I bend in an aggressive way. Really don't want to drill for a tree so I'll probably grab some staggered lockers again.
                              Originally posted by King Buzzo
                              I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Working...
                              X