A little friendly solo contest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A little friendly solo contest?

Yeah I was going to make a full backing track (drums bass guitar) and have everyone just rip over it. Nothing too long either <1min. I'll probably have a two bar build up or something then go! I'll keep the backing as simple as possible and mid-tempo to allow for more freedom. But hey, if you want stems then by all means, sure.

BriGuy - Great idea on having to post your chain.

And I say 'contest' but its more just to see everyone's interpretation of the same thing
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

i suck at solos, can i play the rhythm track?

Comment

****. I can only record on my iPhone. I don’t have my home rig anymore. Anybody think of a way I could still get in on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do it with your iphone then! You can probably get a free 4 track app too and it will be alright.

So I did up the backing track this weekend, hopefully upload it tonight. It's nothing special, just a straight up hard rock in A minor.

Comment

Sweet, thanks for making the backing track!
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

How long 'till you post up the backing track?

Comment

Since it's being called a soloing "contest" a method for scoring seems to be missing.

Many moons ago there was a "Riff-Off in the tips and clips section for which entrants submitted their clips to the host under a name assumed for the contest. I don't remember exactly how the scoring went, but all members were able to vote. It was very competitive and contentious at times as people disagreed on what should be allowed as a "riff". Anyway, it was great fun, and some members still bear their titles under their user names ... like "Riffmaster" or whatever. I believe BD-2 was one of if not the big winner.
                I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

It will go up tonight! Was hoping for last night but hey, life gets in the way sometimes.

As for the 'contest' well there's no real prize, but if we want we can simply make a poll, OR I can have everyone submit to me directly, I can host them all and it will be 'blind'. Have people vote then the winner / corresponding users will be revealed on the deadline.

Does that work for everyone?

Comment

i may get in on this. I’ll be in the lower tier for sure. If prizes were given out, I can send a couple packs of Super Slinky 9’a and a minty green Strat pickguard to the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                      It will go up tonight! Was hoping for last night but hey, life gets in the way sometimes.

As for the 'contest' well there's no real prize, but if we want we can simply make a poll, OR I can have everyone submit to me directly, I can host them all and it will be 'blind'. Have people vote then the winner / corresponding users will be revealed on the deadline.

Does that work for everyone?
                      I personally like the idea of a blind poll… That would definitely make it interesting!
                      Originally posted by The Commodores?
                      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I take it then that entries will be audio only?
                        Really, I don't care how the competition is held, whether it's blind or not. Given that there's no financial risk, I view it more as an exposition. I'm more interested in how different people interact with a common theme.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Precisely! This is meant to be fun, and to give everyone something to share notes with (pun intended) and stir some creativity. If you want to submit a video go for it!

for those that want the blind poll, just PM me links or whatnot and I will upload them and we'll go from there.

Comment

Backing track here:

I will update the original post with the link as well as description.

Comment

Now, to decide which setup I'm going to play through and record with...
                              This could take a bit.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Just wanted to say that this is a really good backing track. Well played and enough changes to keep things interesting, yet nothing esoteric or unfriendly.

What's the deadline for submissions?

Comment

Working...
                                X