My favorite Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite Charvel

1987' Fusion Series Model #2, has an EMG-81, love this guitar.

Re: My favorite Charvel

Beauty model 2! Did you add the tone knob and the Floyd nut? (I really want to change the Kahler string locks on mine to proper Floyd nuts).

However, this is a Model series not a Fusion series.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Purdy guitar! I dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
      2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
      Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
        Beauty model 2! Did you add the tone knob and the Floyd nut? (I really want to change the Kahler string locks on mine to proper Floyd nuts).

However, this is a Model series not a Fusion series.

I got this from the old Daddys Junky Music on the East Coast. The Floyd & nut were on it when i got it. I think i paid $275 plus shipping. The tip of the headstock was broke off and i fixed it. It came with an Original first edition DiMarzio Super Distortion. I put the EMG in it originally tucking the tone pot in the control cavity in back but then ended up drilling a hole. I put i Big Brass Block on the Original Floyd.

Basswood body, Indian Rosewood FB, Maple neck. I had to trim the Trem cavity with a jigsaw for the Brass Block that i was a little nervous about but i nailed it and it came out great. The body is heavy for Basswood.

Comment

These are great guitars; I have two, plus parts for a third that I can't decide whether to finish or sell.

The first is an '86 Model 4 body with the neck from an '88 Model 2. In this pic it has a Cool Rails and Custom 5, while it currently has a Custom in the bridge and a Kahler heavy bar. Next time I change strings I'm going to put the Custom 5 back and swap the magnet for an A2. I'm also tempted to swap necks between these two as the Model 2 neck has Sperzel locking tuners and I feel like I need a Floyd nut with the Kahler.

This is an '87 Model 1A that's completely original except for the electronics. It's set up with SSL-2s and a tapped SSL-6 in the bridge; wired master volume and master tone with a Fralin blend pot. I admit to being a bit torn as to whether I should put a Floyd nut on this neck or on my Model 2 neck.

I also have the original neck from the Model 4 and the rather heavily-modified body from the Model 2. I opened the trem route to fit an Original Floyd, routed it H-S-S with a 5-way, and stripped the finish. This would need finishing, hardware, and electronics, so not a trivial project. Maybe Swampy could swirl it for me? IF I build this one out, I'll open the neck pickup route for a humbucker, and I'm undecided on Original vs. Gotoh Floyd. For electronics I'm thinking EMGs; 89R / SA / 89 with a four-pole switch so I can switch both 89s to 'SA' mode at the same time. Honestly I need another guitar like a hole in the head, so a bit conflicted to say the least.
          Last edited by dystrust; 03-21-2018, 08:36 PM. Reason: stupid chores.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Ah Dystrust - I want a maple board model series so bad! And since we're sharing (sorry these pics are all fairly old), in order from which I purchased:

Charvel 375 Deluxe with JB in bridge:

87 or 88 Model 4, now has J90C in bridge and is all strung up. 18-22 scalloped:

87 or 88 Model 3 with DDJ in Bridge

Bonus pic! My Model 3 and my bassists model 3B...get called out by guitarists at every show we play these together:

Comment

I remember when Charvel was this mysterious custom shop. Then they started appearing in lower end forms, costing just a few hundred dollars. Somewhere I have an old Charvel brochure when they were doing custom work...before the overseas and 'Charvette' eras.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Lot of good info-and eye candy- here:

Probably my favorite from that guy's collection:

Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 03-22-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I remember when Charvel was this mysterious custom shop. Then they started appearing in lower end forms, costing just a few hundred dollars. Somewhere I have an old Charvel brochure when they were doing custom work...before the overseas and 'Charvette' eras.
                  Yeah, now the MIJ's are known for great bang for your buck imports. Kinda funny in a way. Now the ones you speak of are refereed to as 'pre-prods' and carry a hefty price tag.

It's even better that Charvel went from repair shop > hot rodding guitar shop > 'building' guitars using boogie, schecter etc. > then producing bodies for dimarzio etc > and we all know the rest. It's a very interesting history with only a small part of it known to most which creates the allure.
                  Last edited by Kamanda~SD; 03-22-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Yeah, now the MIJ's are known for great bang for your buck imports. Kinda funny in a way. Now the ones you speak of are refereed to as 'pre-prods' and carry a hefty price tag.
                    +1 for great bang for the buck. I paid ~$300 for the Model 4, $79 for the Model 2 (with finish issues hence stripping it), and $150 for the Model 1A without electronics. They don't typically sell quite so cheap these days, but they're still a good deal in the grand scheme of things.

AFAIK pre-pros are the guitars made prior to the introduction of serial numbers in '82 or maybe early '83. Generally speaking they tend to command lower prices than early serialized guitars because they're extremely difficult to authenticate without work orders or serial numbers.

Speaking of original USA Charvels and kicking oneself, in 2000 or 2001 I had an opportunity to buy a excellent to near-mint '85 2-hum San Dimas pointy head in pearl white with a Kahler for $400. These days that same guitar would be worth $1500-2000.
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Ah Dystrust - I want a maple board model series so bad! And since we're sharing (sorry these pics are all fairly old), in order from which I purchased:

87 or 88 Model 4, now has J90C in bridge and is all strung up. 18-22 scalloped:

87 or 88 Model 3 with DDJ in Bridge
                      If you're curious about the date those guitars were made, there's a convenient chart here.

Also, how do you like the DD in your model 3? I have a non-logo DDL in one of my parts bins that I'm thinking about taking for a spin.

Comment

I like Charvels with the pointy headstock. It brings back good memories, since my first electric was an '89 Charvel.
                        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                          If you're curious about the date those guitars were made, there's a convenient chart here.

Also, how do you like the DD in your model 3? I have a non-logo DDL in one of my parts bins that I'm thinking about taking for a spin.
                          Thanks, I use that site as a reference all the time. I just never remember which one is 87 and which is 88 ahaha

I really like the DD in that guitar. ****in' screams. Mind you sometimes it's a little too stiff for some parts (if that makes sense). But that's also partially because of the rest of my rig (JCM800), the fact the trem isn't on the body etc. I won't be changing it anytime soon. I was going to replace the pickup in my model 4 with a Duncan but lately I've been really diggin the J90C so it's going to stay there awhile.

Comment

AFAIK pre-pros are the guitars made prior to the introduction of serial numbers in '82 or maybe early '83. Generally speaking they tend to command lower prices than early serialized guitars because they're extremely difficult to authenticate without work orders or serial numbers.
                            I could've swore that I fixed this yesterday...

Jackson started production in late '82 and displayed a few guitars at the '83 Winter NAMM show. Charvel started using 4-digit serial numbers in late '81 after a very small run of 5-digit serials. Charvels made from '78 until serials started in '81 are called pre-pros and typically have blank neck plates. Many of these guitars have the bodies and neck heels dated, but without a serial or work order it's nearly impossible to determine a real pre-pro from a partscaster or fake.

Comment

I could've swore that I fixed this yesterday...

Jackson started production in late '82 and displayed a few guitars at the '83 Winter NAMM show. Charvel started using 4-digit serial numbers in late '81 after a very small run of 5-digit serials. Charvels made from '78 until serials started in '81 are called pre-pros and typically have blank neck plates. Many of these guitars have the bodies and neck heels dated, but without a serial or work order it's nearly impossible to determine a real pre-pro from a partscaster or fake.
                              My pre pro is dated in the neck pocket. I don't recall the exact date from last time I had the neck off. It's either Feb or May of 81. I'm the original and only owner. The neck plate on mine was black but the paint wore off about half of it. All the screws are black anodized and you can't find exact replacements for them. I think it would be difficult to counterfeit some of the unique aspects of the control installation inside the control cavity. I could easily tell a fake by examining it up close, especially if it had the original trem. The tremolo was made with brass saddles and had a big brass block. The trem is unique. The spacing is not exactly Fender or Gibson.

Alan Holdsworth hated brass blocks, though. His personal Charvels had Dimarzio made vintage trems with I think Gibson string spacing but the steel blocks were replaced with special aluminum blocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X