Replacement for Pearly Gates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement for Pearly Gates?

I'm looking for a neck match for a Custom Custom in a Stratocaster that I have. The current Pearly Gates isn't doing it for me. It just has too much of an edge too it. I like my father's ES-335 which has a 57 Classic in the neck and flatwound strings. I was thinking about changing the PG for an A2 Pro, but that might be too bassy what do all of you think? It's wired for splits, so it needs to be 4 conductor.

I'm also fine with magnet swaps.

Re: Replacement for Pearly Gates?

flatwounds take a lot of the edge off. you could try a rough cast a2 or a3 magnet in the pg if you have one

Comment

To my ears, A2P's have a bit more high-end than, and sound much better than, PGN's. Probably not the direction you want to go. If you want warmth, try a Phat Cat in the neck slot, maybe a bridge model.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Are you using the flat wounds now? If not try them.

Does the Strat have 250k pots? If not, try that.

Then, if those things don't get you there, I say go with the A2P.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The bridge sounds perfect as it is now, I don't wanna mess with that. So you say the A2P is more musical and brighter? What about bass?

Comment

An A2Pro and CC is my favorite combo in a strat-style guitar. It is what I use in my #1. No, it doesn't sound bassy...anymore than the CC sounds bassy (it doesn't). Go for it- you can always swap the magnet to an A5 if you need a brighter sound, but I doubt you would.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

To me the A2Pro is actually far brighter than a Pearly gates, I'd say maybe try a 59'? I have an A2 Pro and Pearly Gates (granted, they're 2 different guitars, but still) and to me the pearly is definitely darker and fatter, rounder if you will. where the A2 Pro is more mid focused , brighter, sweeter.

for what it's worth my A2 Pro is also paired with a Custom Custom, and it's a fantastic combination, very musical in all positions both clean and dirty.

Comment

Does your neck pickup have a dedicated tone control, or is it's tone control tied to another pickup/s'?

What height is the pickup at, when you fret at the highest fret?
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Have you considered the Seth Lover at all? It appears to me that you might like one, they are definitely nice neck pickups.

Itsabass, I have had more than a few PGn in different guitars and I don't think the rudeness the OP is referring to can be dialed out with height adjustment or the use of a tone control, but what cap and pot values are you using?
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

A2P all the way. Best neck in a Strat for sure. Seth Lover 2nd and PG 3rd.
                    My Sound Clips

Comment

I love the Jazz SH-2 with the Custom Custom [Custom] <= Slightly hotter Godin version

They work great together in my LGXT.
                      Carvin 200T, CS6 Flamed KOA w/Floyd, TL60T Flamed Walnut
                      Gibson Lifeson White ES-355 and Crimson Red Axcess Les Paul both AL-230
                      Gibson 1 of 25 50th R9 Cognacburst
                      Epiphone Tribute Plus Les Paul and Dot 335
                      Fender AM Deluxe [Beck] Strat
                      Godin LGXT and P90 Core and Montreal Premier
                      Hagstrom Super Swede Tri-P90S
                      Egnater Renegade and Cabinet

Comment

If you felt confident enough, a swap to a Roughcast A2 magnet would probably do the trick.

Warm it up...thicken it up...lose some sizzle.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

How much of a difference would that make, if there is any way to describe the degree?

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                            How much of a difference would that make, if there is any way to describe the degree?
                            Gosh...10 - 20%?

I sure noticed it enough that I just took a set of Antiquitys apart to find out why they weren’t as sizzley as two other sets I have.

Turned out they were made with Roughcast A2 magnets.

I liked them...just not quite as much as my other two sets, so I replaced the magnets with polished A2 and got the brighter, more aggressive tone I was after: the tone of my other two sets of Antiquitys.

I’m very familiar with your PGn, btw. I really like it.

I think a Roughcast A2, like the Custom Shop PG uses, would give you what you want.
                            Last edited by Lewguitar; 03-23-2018, 08:47 PM.
                            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

How much have you played with the pickup height and polepieces?
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                              X