Alnico II Pro Versus Slash Neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico II Pro Versus Slash Neck?

Before you say "you're just paying extra for the name" I've heard otherwise on other threads I've seen, but there is little info out there. I have another thread about replacing the neck in my Strat, but I thought it'd be better to make this it's own thing.

What are the differences between the two? I'm looking for a nice musical neck pickup that sounds similar to the Classic 57 neck in an ES-175. What do you all think? It's bridge is a Custom Custom. I want the bass to be present, but not overpowering and a good amount of high end.

Re: Alnico II Pro Versus Slash Neck?

Originally posted by '59 View Post
    Before you say "you're just paying extra for the name" I've heard otherwise on other threads I've seen, but there is little info out there. I have another thread about replacing the neck in my Strat, but I thought it'd be better to make this it's own thing.

What are the differences between the two? I'm looking for a nice musical neck pickup that sounds similar to the Classic 57 neck in an ES-175. What do you all think? It's bridge is a Custom Custom. I want the bass to be present, but not overpowering and a good amount of high end.
    Dont bother getting those pups, they're both super bassy. I've put them on my les paul and got rid of them in a week. I've replecaed them with Gibson 57 Classic + and I've got better feel without the flabby bass.

Comment

Slash Neck all the way.
      Sounds nothing (thankfully) like the APH1-Neck. The Aph1 Neck is super soft, flubby, smooth, bland... boring (probably great if you have a super bright amp with a cocked wah sound).
      I wasn't expecting much with the Slash set - but was totally blown away when I got a set. The neck pickup is actually quite defined and well balanced for an A2 neck pickup, has a great midrange and is everything I wanted the APH-1n to be. Just a great neck pickup! Plus it works well with all sorts of amps.

Comment

Originally posted by sd4ever View Post
        Dont bother getting those pups, they're both super bassy. I've put them on my les paul and got rid of them in a week. I've replecaed them with Gibson 57 Classic + and I've got better feel without the flabby bass.
        Given it's a Strat, it won't have nearly the bass as a Les Paul, especially if the OP uses 500k pots. As for the differences between the two models, Slash had his famous Les Paul with Alnico II Pros in it and he wanted to make another guitar sound like it. Well this guitar was noticeably thinner sounding than the first guitar, so the A2P set was overwound and given a few vintage appointments to it (such as a maple spacer).

Most of the people that don't like the APH-1 or APH-2 don't like them because they use them lower on the neck. If you're like me and automatically switch to the neck pickup any time you are above the 12th fret or so, you will love either. If you mostly use the neck pickup lower down the neck, you will love neither.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

First off, neither the Slash or APH-1 is bassy...at all. Compared to something like Antiquities or 59s, there are a lot more mids, but certainly not bass. I hear the Slash set being hotter than the APH-1, with more highs in there, too.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

And the Slash can't be split, it's only 2 conductor.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I dunno, its all preference. I happend to actually love the APH-1 (80s vintage wound by MJ) in my Les Paul Custom. It has been in the guitar since the late 80s. It is somewhat bassy/muddy/dark sounding but thats what i want in a les paul neck pickup. Gives it a great bluesy tone. It is "That" sound. I really couldnt jive with the Jazz neck pickup in the les paul at all. Its way too bland sounding if you ask me. I dont have any other experience with Alnico II neck pups however, i am going to be putting in a Seth Lover into one of my other Les Pauls. Definitely looking forward to what that will sound like.
              Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
              Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by sd4ever View Post
                Dont bother getting those pups, they're both super bassy
                Sorry to call you out on this, but your statement is simply not true.

Most probably your p'up's setup is at fault. Did you do it yourself?

/Peter
                Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
                  Sorry to call you out on this, but your statement is simply not true.

Most probably your p'up's setup is at fault. Did you do it yourself?

/Peter
                  All depends on how you set up your amp. A thick, bassy bridge tone will make any neck pickup muddy.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                    All depends on how you set up your amp. A thick, bassy bridge tone will make any neck pickup muddy.
                    Add to that the fact that certain LPs can be bassier than others. Also, it's not just a matter of tone, it's also about gain. I've been using 59Ns for nearly forty years now and never had a problem with boominess. Others have found them hopeless and I suspect it;s not just the sound of the guitars but the amount of gain they use, especially when it comes to chord parts.

Anyway, I have a Slash set in one guitar and I love the neck tone. Leads and chord sound great. Not tubby at all. (Full disclosure, mine are in a 24 fret axe. But I've heard them in the Slash signature Les Pauls and they sounded great to me.)
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

IIRC, the Chris Derrig LP that Slash has is very naturally bright, which is why the original APH-1 worked so well in it; with all the mids and smooth high end. The Slash sig LP's weren't' bright like the Derrig, so Seymour compensated for that with the new wind. For guitarists today looking for the Slash tone, or something in that ballpark, the Slash model will get you much closer than the APH-1, since the majority of LP's or LP type guitars aren't inherently bright. Some will be bright obviously due to simple variation in wood, but most LP's suffer from a lack of clarity, specially in the neck.

The APH-1 was my go to neck pickup for many years; hell, I still have 3 sets of them. I do love them in Strat's or double cut guitars for the most part. The best sounding strat I ever had was sporting a CC/APH-1. If your ES-175 is a brighter guitar, go for the original APH. If it's mid heavy or darker, go for the Slash.
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                      X