Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to smooth out guitar neck?

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    No really. I was actually referring to my So Cal. I have turned the rod at least 3 full turns but the relief won't go away. The neck is just oiled, no finish.
    Your neck is sealed from the factory. Vintage Charvel necks were oiled, but modern Fender are sealed to mimic the raw feel.

Something more severe is going on with your neck. Three full turns from what starting point?
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
      No really. I was actually referring to my So Cal. I have turned the rod at least 3 full turns but the relief won't go away. The neck is just oiled, no finish.

Here it is:

Wow..THREE turns? I think the truss rod might be broken..
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

gorgeous charvel tho
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I like to use fine grade steel wool
          Steel wool has NO PLACE near an electric guitar. It sheds crumbs of wire that will stick to the magnets of your pickups and possibly get in the electronics of your axe shorting it out. Also, those crumbs can hurt your fingers, get under your fingernails, and stick into your skin. Use Scotchbrite....
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
            Your neck is sealed from the factory. Vintage Charvel necks were oiled, but modern Fender are sealed to mimic the raw feel.

Something more severe is going on with your neck. Three full turns from what starting point?
            It's not vintage, it's 2011 MIJ Pro Mod.

Yes, 3 full turns, probably more, and I am not exaggerating. First it had 11s, then I changed it to 10s.

The rod isn't broken cause I could feel tension when turning it, and the neck actually managed to stay straight for 3-4 days. Then the problem surfaced again.

I've given up on it totally. Some of the frets are sticking out along the edge. Maybe it's just permanently bad wood to the bone?

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              Steel wool has NO PLACE near an electric guitar. It sheds crumbs of wire that will stick to the magnets of your pickups and possibly get in the electronics of your axe shorting it out. Also, those crumbs can hurt your fingers, get under your fingernails, and stick into your skin. Use Scotchbrite....
              Funny, most of the old techs I know disagree with you. I've never had a problem and I've been doing it that way for more than 25 years. You would have to be really sloppy to have the problems that you describe.

Comment

Well, I've been doing repair for 40 years..... So I guess I'm an old tech. If you MUST use something other than Scotchbrite, use brass wool. It's non-magnetic.

Comment

Yes, I know it is a promod, hence my comment

Three turns is a problem. I would back the rod completely off until someone looks at it.

Chadd, no tech worth anything would ever use steel wool. Find a new one if yours does. The steel fibers can cause all kinds of problems and there is no reason to use it over scuff pads
                  -Chris

Comment

I’ve got a green ScotchBrite here that I just can’t bear to use on my neck just yet.... lol

OT
                    What do you use to polish frets, if not steel wool?
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      OT
                      What do you use to polish frets, if not steel wool?
                      Uh, the Scotch Brite silly. White is the equivalent of 0000 wool.

I polish frets with a Dremel and cotton pad.
                      -Chris

Comment

After I level and crown the frets (I use multiple files), I then sand the frets with 3 grits of sandpaper for a nice shine. For a chrome look, I use a thick piece of cowhide (smooth side down) with a bit of white Meguiars compound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spirit of 18 014.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	5806083

Comment

Cool, thanks guys.

I need to pickup a cheap used Squier to learn fret leveling and dressing on.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If you have Facebook you can check out Facebook Marketplace to find cheap beginner guitars that belonged to beginners who gave up on guitars.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                              Yes, I know it is a promod, hence my comment

Three turns is a problem. I would back the rod completely off until someone looks at it.

Chadd, no tech worth anything would ever use steel wool. Find a new one if yours does. The steel fibers can cause all kinds of problems and there is no reason to use it over scuff pads
                              Well, the techs in question have worked on guitars for multiple Hall of Fame acts. I do 99% of my own work, and have since I was a kid, but I'm always looking to learn more. In my experience, the scuff pads I've used haven't produced the same results and I have never had an issue with fibers. I understand where you're coming from on a theoretical level, but it hasn't been an issue in reality for me. Others could easily have a different experience, that's why I rarely speak in absolutes.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                                Well, the techs in question have worked on guitars for multiple Hall of Fame acts. I do 99% of my own work, and have since I was a kid, but I'm always looking to learn more. In my experience, the scuff pads I've used haven't produced the same results and I have never had an issue with fibers. I understand where you're coming from on a theoretical level, but it hasn't been an issue in reality for me. Others could easily have a different experience, that's why I rarely speak in absolutes.
                                All I am saying is why take a chance if you can get the same results with scuff pads? They come in various degrees of coarseness, and you can have no concerns. Steel wool gets into all the wrong places and is hell to try and get out of bench carpet.

On a side note, I had a "famous tech" do some work for me on an acoustic guitar. This person was recommended to me and worked as a touring tech for a few well-known recording artists. The work was amateurish beyond unsatisfactory. My point is the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, and not in the talking. Just because someone works for "so and so" does not make them the authority on what may be the best methods. I like to think that is someone has a better way, then, by all means, convince me.

I have no shame when it comes to stealing others methods.
                                -Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X