No announcement yet.

Vintage 30s and G12T75 Combo in a 412?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage 30s and G12T75 Combo in a 412?

I hear people have great experiences with these set in an X pattern. Could any of you give me the run down on this sounds, I'm looking for a very mid forward, Marshally sound. Very big tone as well.

Re: Vintage 30s and G12T75 Combo in a 412?

I could guess, but I'll leave someone with experience to speak first.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      I could guess, but I'll leave someone with experience to speak first.
      I can name countless derailed threads that would have never happened with the use of these very same words.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        I can name countless derailed threads that would have never happened with the use of these very same words.
        A complement? Or condemnation? (Derailed threads can be quite entertaining)
        Thanks either way. I think?

Comment

It was a compliment.

To the OP, I like it as a combo. The V30s cut, and the G12s provide good bass. But the combo can be harsh in a brighter amp. There is also a volume difference in the speakers. The V30s are about 100db and the G12s I believe are about 97db. It's fairly common combination for a reason.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, especially so early, but does anyone know of any other "peanut butter and jelly" combos for a Marshal tone, I think the OP would be interested in that.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I don't know about specifically for a Marshall tone, but I'm running a Swamp Thang paired with the hated 12M-70 in a closed back ported 2x12, with a Randall ss head, and so far, it sounds fantastic.
            I think that anytime you pair speakers with distinctly different characters together, providing that there isn't a huge dispairity in efficiency, the total will be greater than the sum of the parts.

Comment

I tried it for awhile. Didn't like it.

In theory, the G12T is supposed to smooth out the V30's upper midrange spike, and the V30 is supposed to smooth out the G12T's icepick top end.

In reality I found that it did neither. What I ended up with was both an icepick top end with with an upper midrange spike.

Personally, I don't like mixing speakers in a single enclosure. I've gotten better results when all the speakers match. It winds up clearer and punchier.

Mixing two cabs... that's different, and I find it works better than mixing speakers in a single cab.

IMO/YMMV
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                I tried it for awhile. Didn't like it.

In theory, the G12T is supposed to smooth out the V30's upper midrange spike, and the V30 is supposed to smooth out the G12T's icepick top end.

In reality I found that it did neither. What I ended up with was both an icepick top end with with an upper midrange spike.

Personally, I don't like mixing speakers in a single enclosure. I've gotten better results when all the speakers match. It winds up clearer and punchier.

Mixing two cabs... that's different, and I find it works better than mixing speakers in a single cab.

IMO/YMMV
                Yes! The best of both worlds!
                One man's poison...

Comment

Isn't that the standard speaker set for the Bogner Uberkab?

I think they sound excellent but I'm pretty sure the internally baffle the thing somehow so they don't interfere with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
                    Isn't that the standard speaker set for the Bogner Uberkab?

I think they sound excellent but I'm pretty sure the internally baffle the thing somehow so they don't interfere with each other.
                    Baffle or not, I'll bet they sound great!

Comment

I had this combo in a Marshall 1960A and can echo somedude's comments.
                      I'll also add that I could really differentiate between the two efficiency levels and that kind of annoyed me.
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
                        What is speaker baffling and how does it affect the sound?

Comment

I'm probably not using a technically accurate term but the guy that owned it said the two types were isolated from each others airspace. If they share the same space it's probably cancelling some of each others frequencies. Sort of the same thing as two separate cabs sounding good but 4 different speakers in the same cab sounding weird.

Comment

Sounds good, fairly common combo for when people mix and match. The V30s will dominate though.
                            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

K100 and V30 work much better than the t/v as a combo IMO.
                              Separate cabs is better also, IMO, but having a single "combo-cab" is great when you can only haul one.
                              212s are perfect for mixing models,,,,,,412s not as much.

Comment

Working...
                              X