Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official April 2K18 SDUGF Modding Contest

Originally posted by ChAoZ View Post
    Will this be like the last Official SDUGF Contest where it just fizzled out into nothing?
    You never know until you try! [emoji6]
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

My most modded guitar appears to have no mods.
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
        My most modded guitar appears to have no mods.
        Don't know how to help you with that.[emoji52]

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll throw mine in as part one of a two part series:

It's not done yet, I still have to wait for a few more parts to arrive and the first color I painted it didn't go as planned. The white paint I used had a yellow hue to it. But it should be good and ready by some time this or next week. I'll post my official entry as soon as it is done. I plan to paint it a zebra striped pattern.

As for the modifications, this is what I have done so far:
          • I replaced the stock ceramics with GFS A5 "Jimi's" which I have installed upside down to fix the reverse stagger.
          • I shielded the pickup covers.
          • I've drilled to accommodate a GFS Badass style bridge.
          • I've installed a bone nut and GFS "true mechanical" locking tuners.
          • I've made the tone pots have independent tone caps and have included a bass cut on each tone to make it similar to a more subtle Greasebucket tone control.
          • I replaced the frets with stainless steel.
          • I gave the neck a smoother feel and a slightly asymmetrical profile, nothing too radical, but the neck feels a lot better.

Pictures and more info will be posted when the guitar is finished.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Okay, I will play!
            1976-ish Gibson Marauder. Bought it for $125 including a Gibson gig bag off of the floor at a guitar show. It was literally laying on the concrete floor under a table! I bought it because I wanted a Gibson worthless enough to modify without guilt. This was perfect because the finish was bad and the pickguard was broken.
            Modifications:
            -Thinned down and reshaped the neck, including heavily "rolled" fingerboard edges, although I had never heard the term at that time.
            -I broke the nut the first time I played it on stage, replaced it with a bone nut.
            -made a pickguard out of sheet aluminum, routed out the body with a grinder bit in a drill press
            -bridge humbucker is a first-generation 1978 Ibanez V-2 I had pulled out of an ST-50. I have had 4 or 5 different humbuckers in the neck position but it is now a Wilde Bill Lawrence K-500C. Both pickups are fantastic in this guitar.
            -rewired it for a standard 3-way switch (from a badly warped Aria Pro hollowbody I had smashed onstage) and volume/tone with a toggle switch to take the tone pot out of the circuit. CTS 500k pots & .22 orange drop cap.
            -planed at least 1/4" thickness off of the back, contoured the heck out of the body to get it all much sleeker feeling and lighter. (My other guitar at the time was a '62 SG Special and I basically SGized this one.)
            -stained the mahogany body black and sprayed it with clear automotive enamel from a spray can I bought at Oreilly Auto Parts.
            -made the tailpiece by hand from a piece of aluminum bar stock.
            -recessed the neck bolt plate. (Why don't ALL bolt-neck guitars have this feature? Made it much more comfortable to play.)
            -recently bought a custom truss nut cover with the name the other guitar player in my band at that time gave it, the "Marlocher."
            The fact that my name is on it should verify that it is mine.
            I have no sound clips but I can record some sound with my daughter's iPad if necessary. Both pickups are strong and clear with a huge bottom and clear mids. Along with the mahogany body, maple bolt neck, 24.75" scale length, and the harmonica bridge (the ONLY original & unmodified part of the entire guitar) it sounds warm and full like a good Les Paul but with more snap and clarity from the maple neck/fingerboard. It is a powerhouse!

Edit: although it looks dull gray in these cell phone photos it is actually a glossy dark chocolate color. The fretboard wear is 100% natural, NOT a relic job!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dave Locher; 04-17-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I don't know if I can get 49, but I did forget to mention that I mounted the pickups in mine in triple shot rings. It has a three way switch. I'll let someone else calculate the permutations.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred
                The big mod is 49 different noises from this son of a gun, top that anyone?
                Ahem.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The Phoenix has 108 [emoji6]

Comment

The Marlocher has 3. Two of them are unnecessary.
                    Last edited by Dave Locher; 04-18-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                      The Marlocher has three pickup combos. I generally use one of those.
                      That number is a lot closer to the number of sounds that I ACTUALLY use on the Phoenix!

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                        That number is a lot closer to the number of sounds that I ACTUALLY use on the Phoenix!
                        I edited to more accurately reflect my thoughts. But I hear that a lot from guys with super-duper wiring. At some point it becomes indistinguishable. The partscaster I built recently has one humbucker. It still looks funny to me but I love the way it sounds and feels.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          I edited to more accurately reflect my thoughts. But I hear that a lot from guys with super-duper wiring. At some point it becomes indistinguishable. The partscaster I built recently has one humbucker. It still looks funny to me but I love the way it sounds and feels.
                          Yeah, I hear it a lot too. I’m glad I did it because it was challenging and it gave me the opportunity to get a better handle on what I like, but most of my other guitars aren’t anywhere near as complex. Having a complicated guitar teaches you to appreciate simplicity!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            I would like points subtracted from Demaniac for 'Old Shirtless Man' video.....
                            Hey Ace, do you remember how Youtube likes to show "related" videos once the playback of the current one ends?
                            Well, after your posted video ended, Youtube decided to present me Aceman singing Merry Christmas... butt-naked ...

As for me, I'd love to show my modded guitars, however I decided to have the mods professionally done so ... rule no.7 ... yeah...
                            Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                            Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                              Hey Ace, do you remember how Youtube likes to show "related" videos once the playback of the current one ends?
                              Well, after your posted video ended, Youtube decided to present me Aceman singing Merry Christmas... butt-naked ...

As for me, I'd love to show my modded guitars, however I decided to have the mods professionally done so ... rule no.7 ... yeah...

Comment

Does "Off" count? If yes, then the Chopsbuilder has 2. If not, then one - but what a sound!
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X