• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official April 2K18 SDUGF Modding Contest

Originally posted by '59 View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]89753[/ATTACH]
    That is some sick aesthetic.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

well after a million years finally i could post a clip, i suck at death metal so i tried my best even tuning to C standar (i use A=419.5hz which is a=432hz tuned a quarter step down, think pantera tunin meets 432hz tuning) and still it didn't sounded so death to me...... anyway here it is.

signal path:

guitar -> (signal in)-behringer nr300 -(loop out)-> behringer hm300 -(loop return)-> behringer nr300-(signal out) --> Peavey Envoy Red Stripe

the audio is the sh1tty phone audio
      Last edited by EDX; 05-13-2018, 06:45 PM. Reason: forgot the g on signal

Comment

Sounds death to me. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

yup another clip, this time tuned to D standar (A=419.5hz) i just gone full thrash here, this is my dimebag inspired tone, i think the low end may be too prominent for the phone mic as on the room it doesn't sound boomy, i mean it has a LOT of thump but it ain't boomy anyway here it is

btw for the time i recorded the clip already chugged a pair of these:

signal path:

guitar -> (singal in)-behringer nr300 -(loop out)-> boss ge-7 -(loop return)-> behringer nr300-(signal out) --> Peavey Envoy Red Stripe

Comment

Started out as a sunburst 2008 Squier Strat, it was the first guitar I bought when I took interest in it and within 6 months outgrew everything about it, In 2014 when I joined the forum I had it laying around in it's original format and decided to try to refinish the neck and failed to sand it down deep enough because I was used to car bodies not wood. After that I tried to fill in chips and dings and the paint I used had a reaction with the paint of the guitar which I thought was something else and started to peel, dejected and angry I threw it into the corner seperated from it's neck for years and finally this year I got up the boredom to try to fix it and mod it. It's inspired by BJA's Blue but I don't like direct copies and wanted it to be more personal, I actually find myself playing more VH stuff and originals on it.

Filled the dings in the body with duraglass and sanded the body with the DA , ended up finishing it in an afternoon and hung it up in my house on a wall hanger for 2 weeks before buffing it out.

I'm too lazy to post a recording of it right now, will upload one in a little bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180317_105019 (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	5806611Click image for larger version

Name:	20180317_105052 (2).jpg
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	5806612
            Pictured in it's original color on the right, same neck. Couldn't deal with how white it was.

Name:	WP_20140424_047.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	5806610
            In it's original unmodified state minus the knobs, sorry the neck is covered it's the only pic I have left of it like that.

Name:	0.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	5806617

Name:	20180403_154716.jpg
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	5806613

Name:	20180403_155015.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	5806614

Name:	20180403_155428.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	5806616

Name:	20180317_104930.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	5806615

Work done:

Refinished the neck with watco golden oak danish oil and sprayed on true oil as sealer
            Refinished the body in '58 Caddy Daphne Blue
            Polished frets
            Relined an entire guitar case for it in velvet.

Replaced parts: Roughly $300 if you count the guitar.

Pickguard swapped with custom Warmoth pickguard with slanted HB
            Bridge pickup swapped to a JB
            Switch replaced with oak grigsby 5 way
            cap replaced with a 0.68cap on the bridge/middle
            Bourns 500k and two 250k pots
            Wired for autosplit
            Trem replaced with a black one
            Saddles replaced with GFS stainless steel saddles
            Added GFS brass trem block
            Knobs replaced with my dad's 1986 Kramer ST300 knobs because that was the first guitar I ever touched and I had it's original parts
            Tuners replaced with Hipshot closed gear locking tuners
            Replaced output jack plate with a black one retaining chrome screws throughout the build to give it a checkerboard/mix and match look.
            Replaced neck plate with a black one with a spacer
            Added 3 ply parchment trem cover
            Schaller Strap Locks

Of course I did it all, I have threads documenting every single step of everything.
            Guitar thread located here
            Case Thread located here
            Last edited by StoRMiE; 05-21-2018, 03:17 AM.

Comment

I see others have been doing price rundowns, so here goes:
              Guitar in marginally functioning condition $125 with a gig bag
              Schaller tuners = free; they were already on the guitar
              1978 Ibanez V-2 bridge humbucker = free. I stripped it out of an ST50 before I sold it
              Early Lawrence K500-C neck humbucker = $30 of eBay
              Aluminum pickguard = free; a guy gave me the sheetmetal & I made the pickguard out of it
              Aria Pro 3-way switch = free; I stripped it out of a guitar I smashed to pieces on stage
              Aluminum tailpiece = $1 I paid for a scrap piece of 1/2 x 1 and made it myself.
              Chrome dome knobs = free; stripped off of a First Act I parted out. I still have the original black Gibson speed knobs in a drawer but they don't look right on it to my eye.
              1 can Deft varnish (used on the neck when I shaved it down circa 1990), black wood dye, 1 can automotive clear enamel = maybe $15.
              Bone nut made by a Master Luthier in about 15 minutes while I waited = $10-20 (it was a long time ago!)
              Bridge and output jack are original. Put in 500k CTS pots a few years ago, got them for less than $5 each.
              Silly custom truss rod cover = $15?
              So total investment = $210 to $220.

When I was actively playing it in bands it still had the original truss cover, pots, tailpiece, and the neck pickup was the Schaller bridge humbucker that was in the bridge when I bought it, so I was crushing with this bruiser for a total investment of around $180.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dave Locher; 05-24-2018, 11:32 PM.

Comment

^^
                Did I miss the picture?

Comment

It is in an attachment, if you use Tapatalk to browse the forum you will not see it.

The Web page will display it at the bottom of the post.
                  Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                  I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                  Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                  Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

I submit this for my participaction ribbon.

Name:	20171028_153932.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	5808389
                    The Ibanez ARZ. The one on the bottom. Don't know why it posts sideways.
                    Replaced the active EMG's with passive, TE20's from Tone Emporium. $99 less ten percent. I like them.
                    All new pots, CTS and wiring. I also replaced the knobs, stop, bridge and machine heads with black. ( Stewmac owes me one black washer for the tuning pegs. ) I replaced those mainly because I really dislike gold hardware. Well I pretty much don't like gold colored anything unless it's a brick stamped 99%.
                    Shout out to BriGuy who answered my quick question about my parts list. Thanks.

Name:	20180527_083248.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	5808390

Oh yes, I put a red strap on it because it was missing one from the factory.
                    Last edited by PS412; 05-27-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      ^^
                      Did I miss the picture?

I have a very hard time posting photos on this site with my tablet. Sorry. It's the Gibson Marauder I posted earlier in this thread.
                      It's on the right in the photo I attached.

Comment

The competition is now closed for new entries, I know it's a few days late, but I have been busy and forgot about this contest. Still you can feel free to ask any questions about other peoples entries or anything of that nature.

I will be posting the election thread some time later tomorrow.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I want to say, I never did get around to posting another take, but it was fun to do the one that I did. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do so. And it's been just as enjoyable listening to all the other takes on it submitted by everyone else.

Comment

We need another one of these
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I was thinking we could do this with pedals or something. Like everybody buys a DS-1 and we see who can get the best tone out of it with all neutral settings on their amp.

Or we could also try it in the partscaster category, and then later on do the built from scratch category.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                                I was thinking we could do this with pedals or something. Like everybody buys a DS-1 and we see who can get the best tone out of it with all neutral settings on their amp.

Or we could also try it in the partscaster category, and then later on do the built from scratch category.
                                For pedals? Impossible to compare self-recorded submissions from across the world.... Whoever brings the best guitar best amp and the best cab and the best mic'ing setup, lol. Or cheats and records the before with a Ibanez Gio, and the after with a high-grade professional instrument.

Partscaster or beater rehab+makeover would make more sense
                                Last edited by Adieu; 08-12-2018, 08:35 AM.
                                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                                X