banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First post ever down here in the Bassment...got my first bass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post ever down here in the Bassment...got my first bass.

Had to give my buddies bass back that I borrowed for recording. So yesterday I jumped on CL and saw this. Candy apple red Squier J Bass. I know it’s probably the cheapest of cheaps, but it should serve me well. I have no knowledge of bass pickups and whatnots as to bass mods, but I may do something. Hell, I haven’t even plugged this thing in yet....I could sound AMAZBALLZ, but I doubt it.

Im sure I’ll venture back down these creaky stairs often to ask questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB670BE3-3FDF-406F-A0A2-CE08BCEA5395.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	5847651

Re: First post ever down here in the Bassment...got my first bass.

I bought a MIM Jazz Bass a few years ago and I have nothing at all to complain about. It plays great and sounds great for the $250 I paid.
    My opinion only but I thought it sounded better than a friends American P bass.

Comment

Congrats! Nothing wrong with a Squier bass to get you going (looks like an affinity?).
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Yes, it’s an Affinty.

Comment

Nice. My MIJ Squier Jazz has served me well for many years. If you're going to upgrade the pickups I'd recommend either SD QPs (which I have in my Squier) or DiM Model Js, which I have in my MIM Fender jazz.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
          '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
          '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
          '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

I've had a couple Affinity basses and guitars. The bones of the things are fine, electronics are cheap Asian crap. But in a pinch, you can gig with them.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

The hardware on those basses also tends to be on the cheap side. If the tuners seem solid I'd keep them, otherwise I'm a fan of Gotoh GB-7s if you're ok with a modern look or Hipshot Ultralites if you're not. I would definitely upgrade the bridge; a Gotoh 201 should be a direct drop-in and a massive improvement for $20-25.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Alright!
                I have a white VM Squier jazz bass and lol it came from the factory with one Duncan designed and one non-branded picked made totally differently but it still rocks even without hum cancelling!
                Anyways congrats!!

Comment

If you're just getting started, the biggest difference you can make is a pickup swap.

The hardware will be an issue depending on the brand, but upgrading the pickups will wake up the beast.

My avatar is a net grab of my MIM Jazz. The factory pickups sounded "farty" and gave a rally bad "bump" sound when I played fingerstyle.

I swapped for a set of Duncan Bassline vintage, and boom. It became a real J-bass.
                  sigpic
                  "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                  --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                  Originally posted by Lewguitar
                  In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    The hardware on those basses also tends to be on the cheap side. If the tuners seem solid I'd keep them, otherwise I'm a fan of Gotoh GB-7s if you're ok with a modern look or Hipshot Ultralites if you're not. I would definitely upgrade the bridge; a Gotoh 201 should be a direct drop-in and a massive improvement for $20-25.
                    Also a fan of GB7s if you like that look and the Gotoh 201.

I have GB7s on my Warmoth and 201s on several of my basses.
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1
                    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

I have a Squier bass I absolutely love, and it records really well. Congrats!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X