Friedman Brown Eye vs Splawn Quickrod vs alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friedman Brown Eye vs Splawn Quickrod vs alternatives

Ive been looking for the be/hbe sound for metal but without spending 4 grand. Ive had the quickrod recommended to me several times. Thoughts?
    EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Purple (DiMarzio Sonic Ecstasies)
    Jackson Soloist AT Indigo Storm HT6 (BKP Juggernauts)
    Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR6 (Duncan Custom B/59B N)
    Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
    PRS Archon
    Line 6 Helix -> Powerstage

Re: Friedman Brown Eye vs Splawn Quickrod vs alternatives

Splawns sound too smooth to me for Modded Marshall type tones but they're nice amps.

Need more Asymmetrical cold clipping.

Splawns aren't cheap either.

Comment

I picked up a used Friedman Runt 50 for a steal! After owning the BE100, JJ100, Smallbox and 2 PT20's I have to say the Runt is my favorite. Best Friedman bang for the buck and happiness to cost ratio! It will get into HBE territory with a overdrive. I had a Splawn Quickrod . I tried it for over a year but I just couldn't make it work for me. Too stiff and unforgiving. Showed my flaws IE: lack of talent!
      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
        I picked up a used Friedman Runt 50 for a steal! After owning the BE100, JJ100, Smallbox and 2 PT20's I have to say the Runt is my favorite. Best Friedman bang for the buck and happiness to cost ratio! It will get into HBE territory with a overdrive. I had a Splawn Quickrod . I tried it for over a year but I just couldn't make it work for me. Too stiff and unforgiving. Showed my flaws IE: lack of talent!
        Stiff and unforgiving...sounds like my laney...no thanks lol
        PRS Archon

Comment

It depends what you are looking for and what your budget is... I have a a Splawn QR and love it!! I love the hotrodded Marshall tone and even had a modded JCM 800 at one time.. sold the Marshall..
          I love the Splawn, but really want a Friedman BE. The Splawn is awesome, but the Friedman seems to be exactly what Im looking for.

I can see what the Metlking says about the Splawn. I love the tone, but it def wont mask playing flaws.. But... my playing is very subpar, (barely above a beginner) and I still enjoy my tone
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

What about the Friedman Butt Squirt? Is that still happening?

Comment

I've never understood the Splawn's rep for being stiff and unforgiving. I loved my QR half stack... that I picked up used for $850 total. It was awesome. Yes... I do prefer how the Friedman amps clean up with guitar volume. They are so awesome at that. But the QR was preferable in a couple of ways. I did sell the QR to make room for my Wildwood Pink Taco, which is like the smaller brother to my BE100. But I would be fine if I was still "stuck" with my QR. It's an awesome amp.
              "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Well now im just lost lol. everyone says theyre very unforgiving and dynamic which is a lot like my ironheart. Im trying to get away from that, i wanna stick with fairly compressed amps with dynamic pickups
                PRS Archon

Comment

Originally posted by dxlxntxxlxr View Post
                  Well now im just lost lol. everyone says theyre very unforgiving and dynamic which is a lot like my ironheart. Im trying to get away from that, i wanna stick with fairly compressed amps with dynamic pickups
                  My QR was a 2012 spec I believe. It had plenty of compression going on... whether on the clean channel or any of the three gears. I loved it and would still have it if my Friedmans hadn't replaced it.
                  "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

I agree with Red Label.. And also, trust his judgement very much. I dont find my Splawn stiff or unforgiving. No more so than the JCM 800 I used to have. If I came across as making it sound like mine is unforgiving, I ONLY meant that as to say I know where the weakness in my tone is, and that is my playing skills. Its a loud and powerful amp and it amplifies my lack of skills.
                    By the same token, when I do something right, it sounds glorious!!
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Ive narrowed it down to a few options.

1. Get the synergy hbe preamp ($900)
                      2. splawn Quickrod
                      3. splawn nitro

Thoughts? Experience w synergy or the nitro?
                      PRS Archon

Comment

Quickrod is only one Ive played. But listened to LOTS of Nitro clips and that beast delivers the Brootz...

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                          Quickrod is only one Ive played. But listened to LOTS of Nitro clips and that beast delivers the Brootz...
                          Agreed. If you're into modern metal, the Nitro would be the way to go. If you're more into classic rock/metal, grunge, etc... then the QR is hard to beat. I usually fired my QR up when I played darker, more modern stuff ala AIC, Tool, Alter Bridge, etc. The Friedman amps that I've had have all done all of those tones great as well. But they seemed to be the QR's strength. Whereas the Friedman stuff's strengths were more along the lines of anything made between 1972 and 1992. Not that I don't play all of that stuff on my current BE100 and Wildwood Pink Taco just fine. Because I do... and the tone is glorious. if I had never tried the Friedman stuff and came to love their touch sensitivity, versatility, etc... then I would be 100% satisfied with the QR. Scott Splawn's creation take a back seat only to Friedman, Metropolous, and maybe Wizard in my opinion. But even then... they're still all in the same sweet ass car!

Regarding the choice of going with a module setup... I've never been a fan of those, since Bruce Egnator first started doing it. Pre-amps and power amps all work together to create a finished product. It seems to take something away from it when you just lump one thing with another. I'd rather own a great pedal platform tube amp and get my tones with pedals, than a modular setup. I'm playing around doing some of that with my Tone King Metropolitan at the moment. It's so damn good. But I'll only go so far with spending money on various OD pedals because I already have the best Marshall-style tube amps that money can buy. So why waste a bunch of money trying to recreate that on a [magnificent] Fender blackface style amp like the Tone King? I'll probably just end-up putting another Friedman Dirty Shirley pedal or Bogner La Grange in front of the Tone King and calling that good. I could always try a Bogner XTC red/blue or Carl Martin Plexitone... but I've already owned several of each of those as well, so I'm not in the mood to buy a 3rd or 4th at this point. Right now I only have a Full Tone OCD (my 3rd?) for an OD pedal.
                          Last edited by Red_Label; 04-27-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I LOVE my Quickrod. Scott offers a Drop B+ option which makes the amp more forgiving with more sag. IMO, the Quickrod the the amp Marshall couldn’t/wouldn’t build. It’s everything a modded Marshall should be.
                            I’ve also played the BE-100. It too is a killer amp, no doubt. But a little ridiculous at $4K. The Quickrod is half that price.

Comment

I recently went back to playing a stock Marshall after a near 20 year hiatus. I've owned Splawn, Soldano, Cornford, Bogner, etc... I don't want to say my journey was a waste, but coming back to Marshall is like finding my way home. That being said, all three of my Splawn amps were great! A bit dry, but perfect for building upon. The key to getting the most out of a Splawn QR, is adding Lexicon plate reverb. I'd like to try a Splawn QR with some Classic Tone transformers. Not a fan of Heyboer iron.

Comment

Working...
                              X