Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding the right Strat neck pickup!

Hi all,

It's official. I'm on a bit of a pickup swapping tear.

Next up is changing out the pickups in my new Strat. It's an American Standard Strat FSR in surf green with an ash body and a rosewood fingerboard. It currently has Fat 50's in all positions, so that's my tonal reference point for my descriptions of the sounds I'm looking for. The Fat 50's are good, I love the sound for rhythm, but I need something that sings a little more when driven.

I want to keep using true single coils, and maintain the spanky tone the Strat is known for but a tad less harsh and with a touch more umph. I've already bought a SSL-5 Custom Staggered but haven't installed it yet. That would work for the bridge, I take it? I just got it so I may exchange it if there's something better. I also have an RW/RP Texas Hot Antiquity that I'm thinking of putting in the middle? I'm guessing that would be good.

The big question is what to put in the neck. Would I be wise to get a matching Antiquity or maybe a Antiquity II Surfer for the neck? Has anyone mixed the two kinds of Antiquities in the same guitar?

That's where my head is at, but I'm open to any other suggestions. Trying to keep an open mind.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Maximusgordon 2.0; 05-03-2018, 06:42 AM.
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Re: Finding the right Strat neck pickup!

The SSL-5 is a great bridge pickup. The RW/RP Texas Hot is actually the same polarity as normal Duncans, as it is one of the only ones that, normally, are wired opposite of all non-RW/RP Duncans. I will say the Antiquity Surfers are astounding pickups. I've used them with Texas Hots before, and they work well.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Have you messed with the height settings much? I want thrilled with my Texas Specials at first, but after a lot of tweaking, I like them a lot.

Are yours vintage staggered? Flipping my TS around 180 degrees thickened up the plain strings a little.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Maximusgordon 2.0 View Post

Next up is changing out the pickups in my new Strat. It's an American Standard Strat FSR in surf green with an ash body and a rosewood fingerboard. It currently has Fat 50's in all positions, so that's my tonal reference point for my descriptions of the sounds I'm looking for. The Fat 50's are good, I love the sound for rhythm, but I need something that sings a little more when driven.

I want to keep using true single coils, and maintain the spanky tone the Strat is known for but a tad less harsh and with a touch more umph.
        That's actually a big hole in SD product line. For spanky strat tone you'll need Alnico V, but strat pickups SD has with them are SSL-1's and SSL-5's. SSL-5 being too hot for "touch of umph"...

I have VZ Blues in neck, which is exactly what you described: Classic strat spank with touch more output and tad less harshness.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

There's the 8k A2 Twang Banger and the 10k A5 Surfer bridge.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

What you are wanting is precisely where forum bro Zhangbucker winds most of his pickups.......hot but still vintage tone.

The twangbanger is nice for sure, but the 10k Surfer bridge is misleading as it uses thinner wire and therefore has output the same an the 8k Twangbanger more or less (without the baseplate of course). Whether or not these would be ok in a neck slot is a guess.....both are wound for the bridge.

Comment

I wonder how the Surfer Bridge or Texas Hot Bridge would sound in the neck?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

For me, I like a P90 in the bridge, strat pickup in the middle and a Tele pickup in the bridge which requires some routing and a special pickguard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
                  For me, I like a P90 in the bridge, strat pickup in the middle and a Tele pickup in the bridge which requires some routing and a special pickguard.
                  For P90 like tone, QP is really good option for strat no routing required.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

ssl1s are really hard to beat.
                    Similar to a fat 50 but more clarity and detail to my ears.
                    I'm also a fan of the texas specials in the neck too for a ballsier tone, but you might need to set them a bit lower.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I still think SD should come up with ~7k wound version of SSL-1.

The most usual thing people say about vintage spec strat pickups is that they'd like them to have touch more output.

And I believe many (if not most?) strat players do want "strattiness" and don't want to go for significantly hotter pickups.

Comment

Ssl1 is 6.5k anyhow.
                        That difference is not going to do anything

Comment

i wouldnt say it wouldnt do anything but not quite enough. 7.5k would be better imo

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            i wouldnt say it wouldnt do anything but not quite enough. 7.5k would be better imo
                            You surely know better. I just threw a number there

Comment

This is all good stuff.

Yeah, I'm surprised Duncan doesn't have something that sits between the ssl-1 and ssl-5 in terms of output. It seems like a spot a lot of people want to be. I'm probably gonna install the custom staggered in the bridge and the antiquity texas hot in the neck and see how it goes, but may try other stuff.

I'm looking into other brands as well. Perhaps Lindy Fralin Blues Specials? Any other great Strat pickup manufacturers I might not know about?
                              EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

Working...
                              X