PG 59/C Magnet Swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG 59/C Magnet Swaps

So I have a set of PGn and 59/Cb in a Stratocaster of mine. They both have A2 magnets, as per another forum users recommendations. But I also heard somewhere that UOA5 magnets are like an A2 "tuned" for the bridge position, and A3s sound better in the neck.

What do you think about this in this particular setup? I would just do it myself, but the pickups are covered and it was such a hassle to uncover the pickups the first time (my soldering is atrocious). Also, this Stratocaster has PTB wiring on it.

Re: PG 59/C Magnet Swaps

I forgot to add, I'm looking for more bass in the bridge and less bass in the neck, but that's about it.

Can anyone describe the general differences between A2 and A3 for the neck and A2 and UOA5 in the bridge?

Comment

A3 is an underappreciated magnet; I really like it in neck pickups. Very similar in feel to an A2 but with less bass and a little less output. A nice vintagey tone, less flub yet not as thin as one might expect, and crisp/warm/not harsh in the highs. I have one in a 59N, one in a VintageVibe, and another in a custom neck wind from James Finnerty at ReWind. I'm thinking about trying A3s in a P90 for neck position but haven't got to that yet.

IMO the UA5 is a great mag for bridge pickups; fuller and firmer lows than an A2, and a little more top end sparkle. Not as scooped as an A5, and it still retains something of the A2s softer pick attack and slightly elastic fingertouch. It's been an improvement over A5 on every humbucker I've tried it in, though it also does seem to be just a hair quieter. I think it may be that the strong mids of an A2 tend to stand out in a mix and UA5 evens them out a bit. UA5 in a 59/C is just wonderful.

I think you're looking at the right magnets for the changes you want.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Anyone else have anything to say about these magnets?

Specifically in regards to coil spliing.
        Last edited by '59; 05-21-2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Not sure the A3 is strong enough to split well. But given that it'll have less boominess, perhaps you won't need or want to split it. It should clean up very nicely just by rolling back its volume knob.

I think the split tone in the 59/C should be as good or better with UA5- just be sure you're splitting to the Custom coil and not the 59 one. If you have it wired for splits now, it's likely to be set up that way already.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
          X