How Important Is The Wood In A Cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Important Is The Wood In A Cab?

I guess another way to phrase this question is "can a decent cab be made with good speakers and decent wood?".

I've got a Marshall MX412 with crappy Celestion Deisgned speakers that are essentially an exact replica of a Vintage 30 except they make it muddy and stupid. I can't speak of the exact quality of the wood, but given the cab was $350, it can't be that great.

I look to put a set of Vintage 30's and G12K-100's in it in an X pattern. Is it worth a shot.

Re: How Important Is The Wood In A Cab?

How important is the foundation of your house?

Ever try to run a really awesome new video game on a really crappy computer?

Ever try to put enough BBQ sauce on a burnt up steak to make it enjoyable?

You should save your money and buy a cab worth owning.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The MX412 (I have one) is MDF, which is utilized in situations where the maker of the speaker don't really want the material of the cabinet to affect the tone. Plywood is praised in the guitar community because people like the effect it has on the tone.

That being said, many people don't like MDF for several reasons: it's heavy, it's not so durable, if one of the wooden screws strips it's hard to fix it, and many cheapo cabs are made from it. It's kinda like basswood in a guitar. Good guitars can be made from basswood, but in the early days a whole lot of bad ones were made from the stuff so it got a bad rep.

I'd say it's important to look in your cab and make sure everything inside it is up to par, nothing should be loose in there and make sure there are no obvious signs of something being wrong.

There are many ways to make that cab work for you, but you should at least look into better options for the future. Not everybody needs a big heavy 412 in their life.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

If you already had the speakers I'd say sure, do it.
        Having to buy the speakers new or used (unless you found them cheap-used local) would make the project unworthy IMO.

Comment

Try stuffing it with damping material (glass wool/foam), redo your internal wiring with better quality wire or switch to better speakers. If there's a problem with that cab it will be due to other factors (design/bracing..or lack of/dimensions/drivers etc..) ..despite what manufacturers would like you to believe neither MDF or ply are "tonewoods"
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

If the speakers weren't so expensive it could make sense.
            It's hard to not be several hundred $ in with 4 speakers, even buying used the shipping will negate the savings almost entirely.

I'd really say to save the cash, make-do for now and start stalking craigslist for a used Mesa. Great-condition rectifier 412s go for $400-$500 all the time.
            Marshall Mode-4 cabs come with either v30 or k100,,,,,,so in either case you'd be halfway to the X-pattern and have the beefier cab.

Comment

As noted above, it’s not the wood type, per se, but the rigidity of the cab’s construction and its internal volume that matter. Marshall cabs have a particular construction with a certain amount of flex that gives them a particular amount of overhang in the bass; it’s exasperated in their lower end models by cheaper materials but the overall sonic signature is still ‘Marshall’. My other cabs (Rivera and Hiwatt) are made from birch ply and are frightfully heavy, very inert with very little overhang and sound very different from my Marshalls, even with the same speakers loaded.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Do you need a 4 X 12 cabinet? If not you could spend 2X on speakers for a 2X12 or...4X...Celestion site has good info about building a cabinet...if you're handy not very expensive and very good speakers make a very big difference.

Comment

Avatar still has a sale on their big 212 also. (semi-custom) $488, and they run free-shipping quite often.
                  Black-only tolex,,,,,you choose the grill, the speakers, and the ohm/jack-plate. Open or convertible back.

edit; and you can do mixed speakers at no extra charge
                  Last edited by dave74; 05-29-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                    Do you need a 4 X 12 cabinet? If not you could spend 2X on speakers for a 2X12 or...4X...Celestion site has good info about building a cabinet...if you're handy not very expensive and very good speakers make a very big difference.
                    Good advise. A good 2x12 will rival a 4x12 imo. I get huge tones from both my Port City and Marshall 1936.

If you want a quality cab I’d suggest looking at the Splawn lineup. Reasonably priced and I haven’t ever heard a bad review on them.

Comment

I think Leo Fender used pine for his' amplifier cabs because the wood was cheaper than exotic hardwoods. It just happens that the cabs contributed to the overall sound. There is a reason why the higher end guitar speaker cab makers use Baltic Birch and other woods. Just like guitars, different woods certainly make a difference in speaker cabs however slight or extreme.

Comment

Carvin has their version of the vintage 30 speaker on sale right now for 39 bucks each
                        16 ohm 100 watt speakers

Just saying
                        I like the Carvin branded stuff
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Dont try and polish a turd, get a decent cab to start with before you go crazy on speaker swaps. 4x12's go cheap 2nd hand now because mini stacks are more populair. Take advantage of that and you can get a good cab with good speakers for a steal.

Comment

I know nothing about this topic other than the sound engineers at a very large well known entertainment company require the use of birch in their custom cabinets. I'd bet money I personally would not hear the difference between birch, pine, and MDF if all other parameters were the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                              Ever try to put enough BBQ sauce on a burnt up steak to make it enjoyable?
                              OK mind explaining how you know so much about my wife?

Comment

Working...
                              X