Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss bass limiter/enhancer or...

Bass compressor?

I’m thinking 95% of what I want from a bass compressor is actually limiting.

Comments?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Boss bass limiter/enhancer or...

Basses don't really need a lot of compression, unless that's the sound one is going for.

I use an SD Studio Bass Compressor playing live, but with blend at 50%, a threshold that's not too low, and compression at about 10 o'clock (about 4 on a scale of 1-10).
    I get a little edge to my slap, but it's mostly for punching up the finger work.
    sigpic
    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Originally posted by Lewguitar
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
      Basses don't really need a lot of compression, unless that's the sound one is going for.

I use an SD Studio Bass Compressor playing live, but with blend at 50%, a threshold that's not too low, and compression at about 10 o'clock (about 4 on a scale of 1-10).
      I get a little edge to my slap, but it's mostly for punching up the finger work.
      +1

I don't play a ton of bass, but I find that I don't really need compression unless I try to play slap.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I like to be able to dial in compression on the bass.

Don't give to much attention to what the pedal is labelled as, most bass compressors can be set to pretty much do limiting duties. Much like how the boss LMB can do more subtle compression as well. Can't really go wrong with the Boss though imo.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

A good compressor with a blend control, always on. It is subtle, but you'd miss playing without it.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use some compression on my bass rig. My amp has it built in (Ampeg PF500) and it does what I need it to. I don't slap but it certainly helps keep everything relatively even with some added sustain.

Comment

This is really for all-around playing and considering that I'm a hack finger stylist. As always - limiter is maybe what I really need.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                I am just a hobbist home recorder but I find very hard to handle a bass track without compression, maybe because I am just a hobbist bass player but I cannot keep a volume level constant enough for a decent sound. Compressor is my safe net in this case.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                X