Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never thought I'd say this

I'm starting to really like flats.

Have used GHS Bass Boomers on all of my basses except my '69 Gibson EB-1 and my '69 Fender Mustang (those have Rotosound tapewounds--a different animal) for many years.

When I converted my '87 MIJ Squier Jazz to fretless (swapped in a fretless MIJ Fender Precision neck), my tech urged me to go flats (as did people here). I went with the LaBella Original 1954s (aka the Jamerson set) in 52-110 and can't believe how much I like them.

I'm waiting for another set that I'll use on my MIM Fender Jazz. I'll keep RW on the rest of them, but really liking these on the fretless.
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Re: Never thought I'd say this

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
    I'm starting to really like flats.

Have used GHS Bass Boomers on all of my basses except my '69 Gibson EB-1 and my '69 Fender Mustang (those have Rotosound tapewounds--a different animal) for many years.

When I converted my '87 MIJ Squier Jazz to fretless (swapped in a fretless MIJ Fender Precision neck), my tech urged me to go flats (as did people here). I went with the LaBella Original 1954s (aka the Jamerson set) in 52-110 and can't believe how much I like them.

I'm waiting for another set that I'll use on my MIM Fender Jazz. I'll keep RW on the rest of them, but really liking these on the fretless.
    +1

LaBella flats are amazing. longcat and I scored a Yamaha fretless P-copy off Craigslist over the weekend, and I'll be throwing a set of LaBella flats on there as soon as I can find some (along with a Gotoh 201).
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I've been wanting (and will eventually) throw flats on my second bass for a completely different sound/feel. Glad you like them! And I agree - on fretless it's a no brainer to me.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I like the LaBellas, but not in that gauge. I use the 760FL set (.043-.104). I currently have the 5 string set on my fretless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have always preferred the heaviest gauge I can find, regardless of brand.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

I have always preferred the heaviest gauge I can find, regardless of brand.
            You lose all nuance that way. I bend notes and solo. Heavy strings are too clumsy. Plus you lose all the snap when you pluck them hard.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              You lose all nuance that way. I bend notes and solo. Heavy strings are too clumsy. Plus you lose all the snap when you pluck them hard.
              No, actually you lose all cujones with light gauge strings.

We've obviously got very different approaches and objectives. I don't bend, don't solo, and don't pluck.

I can agree to disagree.
              '69 Fender Mustang bass
              '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

We've obviously got very different approaches and objectives. I don't bend, don't solo, and don't pluck.

I can agree to disagree.
                No I get a very heavy tone from light strings. It’s all in the technique.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                  No I get a very heavy tone from light strings.
                  According to you: this is a subjective assessment.
                  '69 Fender Mustang bass
                  '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

According to you: this is a subjective assessment.

See how that works?

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

I prefer heavy gauge strings possibly because I started on string bass.

What may be a "heavy tone" to you might not be so to others.
                      '69 Fender Mustang bass
                      '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I tried flats on a ss MIJ P bass...loved them! Gave a warmth and smoothness that really worked well for blues and classic rock.

For some reason I thought flats were only for old school jazz cats or something. I was wrong!
                        Last edited by Laughing Kookaburra; 06-16-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I just put a set of Ti flats my eldest son bought me for Fathers Day on a bass I was going to sell. This is my first set of flats and it has transformed this bass, it feels, plays and sounds so slick now.... loving them.

Comment

Flats on a P is the "OG" sound. Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Chuck Rainey, & so on.

When I get my hands on a good P again, I might go with flats, just to have the back-in-the-day vibe.
                            sigpic
                            "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                            --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                            Originally posted by Lewguitar
                            In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                              Flats on a P is the "OG" sound. Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Chuck Rainey, & so on.

When I get my hands on a good P again, I might go with flats, just to have the back-in-the-day vibe.
                              Don’t forget the foam string mute. That’s half of the tone right there. Some guys stuck a big piece of foam under the strings.

Comment

Working...
                              X