Overdrive/Distortion Applications Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive/Distortion Applications Question

The only source of gain I have is tube distortion, which I have to play to loud to be able achieve in my house, and a Soul Food. Is it better for me to run the Soul Food with the gain almost maxed out or for me to buy a cheap ($50-ish) distortion pedal run at a lower gain setting. I try to run the SF with a lot of gain, but it gets really harsh and thins out. But if I turn the tone down it's dark, but still thin.

Re: Overdrive/Distortion Applications Question

Originally posted by '59 View Post
    The only source of gain I have is tube distortion, which I have to play to loud to be able achieve in my house, and a Soul Food. Is it better for me to run the Soul Food with the gain almost maxed out or for me to buy a cheap ($50-ish) distortion pedal run at a lower gain setting. I try to run the SF with a lot of gain, but it gets really harsh and thins out. But if I turn the tone down it's dark, but still thin.
    AFAIK the Klon circuit was intended to boost an amp or another pedal instead of being used as a sole source of distortion. I've also heard that the Soul Food is pretty harsh at high gain settings. I have a Wampler Tumnus and that thing has a TON of volume on tap; I get plenty of boost (into a dirty amp or pedal) with the gain at 9 o'clock and the output volume at 12 o'clock.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yes, you want a distortion pedal. Run the Soul Food in front of it to give it an extra kick for leads.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Learning how to stack gain stages is an important part of good tone, not only do you need to know how you prefer to do it, you should also know how different parts of your signal chain respond with eachother.

The Soul Food for example gets really harsh, as both you and others have stated, at higher gain settings. This means that what you should do is either buy a distortion (a Boss DS-1 is a pretty good unit, especially considering it can be had for ~$40 used) or you could run your amp loud enough that you get some breakup, and then use the Soul Food to push it over the edge.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

You can find some pretty good clones of expensive distortion pedals for $50 these day. I would look at Tone City. They make a Suhr Riot clone (Wildfire), a Plexitone clone (Golden Plexi), and an OCD clone (Dry Martini). I also really like the Xvive Golden Brownie I bought on Amazon for around that price.

Comment

First - we need to know what amp you are using.

That said - options include:

Just amp
            High gain amp w/ Low Gain OD juicing it
            Low gain amp w/ high gain OD juicing it
            OD into Distortion into clean amp
            Distortion into OD into clean amp
            Just Distortion into clean amp

Every one of these is a totally valid solution, and these are not the only combo's. Gotta find what works for you.

All of that said - there are so many good Distortions out there today for $50, new and used, that I would have no problem finding one to use all by itself. And - no matter what the approach, there is always serious time to be spent on dealing with multiple gain levels, multiple EQ stages (Including the amp!) and the order of such things. Someone makes a righteous sound with every combo you can imagine.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

There's also the option kick amp with a clean boost in front of it, that I greatly prefer. (Or treble booster in my case, the classic combo)

Best in that is it gives you all tube distortion, without need for diode clipping
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

What's wrong with diode clipping?
                Sometimes tube clipping is just too loose.

Comment

I always try all kinds of ideas. Even ones that 'conventional wisdom' says won't work. I say, use what you have first. Crank the Soul Food up, and re-eq your amp. Have settings for playing at home and other settings for playing live with a band.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    What's wrong with diode clipping?
                    Sometimes tube clipping is just too loose.

Nothing wrong with it. I just personally haven't heard a diode clipping od/dist. I really like, mostly for the same reasons OP didn't like Soul Food. Booster is often cheapest option to get more gain as well.

There's a natural balance in distorting tube, making them often the simplest way to achieve great sounding distortion.
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

It depends on your preferred style, also. If you like a heavy distortion, take some time to find a pedal which creates the sound you like, and make sure it matches with your amp. Certain pedals can react differently with each amp.
                      Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I got a Soul Food because it was a reasonably priced Klon-like gadget. And like Demanic said, it works quite well in front of another overdrive or distortion unit. When engaged, it takes the crunch tone you have from the second pedal and pushes that tone further into a very sweet range, with more drive and a hint of compression. At least that what it has done for me.
                        "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

For amps that have distortion:

I always say crank that mofo amp up and then and only then add a stomp if you need any (to quote Nigel) "extra push".

Otherwise, what's the point of having an amp that distorts... only to rely on stompboxes to get your clipping and compression?

Might as well run direct out from your pedals into a PA (speaker emu), clean power amp + speakers, or similar...
                          ...because the amp sure isn't doing any work.
                          Last edited by LLL; 06-13-2018, 05:59 PM.

Comment

It might work for you. It might not. It depends, but it's a valid approach.

I've had better results cranking tiny amps like the Blackstar Fly 3 rather than plugging a distortion pedal into a tube amp turned up to 0,1.
                            The fact that the speaker is working it's butt off does something to the end result, I think.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

A boost straight in, as Dave said, can be really cool. My little Fender Pro Jr. works great for that. But not, say, a Fender Twin. Which brings back to "What amp you got?"
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X