Best Sub-$600 2×12 Tube Combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Sub-$600 2×12 Tube Combo?

I know this is a very specific search, but I believe you guys have a lot of experience and can point me in the right direction. I've gotten rid of my 200w head and 4x12 cab in favor of searching for something a bit more practical. Anyway, I did the usual guitar store visit, which in my town is basically a niche store for vintage enthusiasts, and I found great pleasure from the 1962 Bluesbreaker which is several $k out of my price range, as well as a Vox AC30 which has the same issue.

What I'm looking for is 2x12", all tube or hybrid if it's got good breakup, and simple controls. Preferably I'd want a master volume, gain, and a simple 3 band eq. I'd be willing to get something at the very max of $700 if it's completely phenomenal, but I'd much prefer to stay below $500.

What's good for what I want?

Re: Best Sub-$600 2×12 Tube Combo?

Look at 2x12 Ampeg Reverberockets, from the old Diamond Blue Series of the '90's and '00's. They also came as 1x12's and heads (I have the head/cab version). Sound incredible, well made, huge bang for the buck. Make sure you get the right foot switch to use with it (it controls channel switching and reverb).
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Used Bassbreaker 45.

Never owned one but I was pretty impressed in the store.

Comment

Well I bought a Zilla Custom Cab in that price range and it’s beautiful for what I do, you can choose size, speaker configuration (type, size and format), cab construction and aesthetic
        This is mine, oversized 2x12 with wine tolex and bluesbreaker grill (vintage 30 with K100)

That’s if you have a nice head already if not then bluesbreaker combo
        Guitars:
        Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
        PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
        ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
        Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
        Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
        Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
        Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
        Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
        Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

If it can be a 1x12 instead of a 2x12 combo, the new Marshall Origin 50 watt combo may be worth a look. They're about 800 bucks and new (not even sure if they are available yet) so there may not be anything used out there yet in your price range but maybe a demo unit and/or a coupon may get you close. The Vox AC15C2 2x12 is about the same price. The 1x12 version is about $650. Those have been out so they are far more available, used.

Just suggesting these two based on what you already auditioned. There is a lot of stuff out there. It can be overwhelming.

Comment

These are good suggestions for my preferences, I've listened to sound clips on YouTube and they all sound pretty good. Any good combos in this price range that are good but not quite what I mentioned earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
              These are good suggestions for my preferences, I've listened to sound clips on YouTube and they all sound pretty good. Any good combos in this price range that are good but not quite what I mentioned earlier?
              Used JC120 [emoji4]

Never gets old.

But you would need to bring your dirt with pedals.

Comment

Peavey classic 50

Can be had in 4x10 , 1x15, or 2x12

Comes in around your price point new
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Wait a Vox AC 30 is around there used as well
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                    Peavey classic 50

Can be had in 4x10 , 1x15, or 2x12

Comes in around your price point new
                    I like the sound clips I've heard of it and I might have to go this route, but why on earth does it have "master", "normal", "pre", and "post" volume controls?

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                    Wait a Vox AC 30 is around there used as well
                    They do tend to reside on the very upper limit of my price range and I am looking for cheaper options first.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                      They do tend to reside on the very upper limit of my price range and I am looking for cheaper options first.
                      You could get the AC30VR (Valve Reactor) which is the same thing but a hybrid instead of all tube. It has slightly different controls and has a bit less warmth than the standard AC30, but it's a good unit.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Another option is to look for some of the underappreciated vintage amps. Valco amps branded as Harmony etc or some of the Guild amps come to mind.

Comment

Working...
                        X