The Peavey Bandit Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Peavey Bandit Appreciation thread

You know - anyone who has played/gigged in the 70's knows these. They still showed up in the excessive 80's, and honestly - the question I ask is "Is there a bad model of Bandit?" I say no!

Original silver sides, Saturation, Blue Stripes, Silver Transtubes, Red stripe Transtubes

They all rock.

I have never owned a Bandit - but I have played a couple dozen over the years and seen way more than that on a stage. If I were stuck using one for whatever reason, I'd have no problem with it.

Let's hear some Bandit love, stories, see some pics, and give us tone tricks! Bring the Bandit!

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: The Peavey Bandit Appreciation thread

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    You know - anyone who has played/gigged in the 70's knows these. They still showed up in the excessive 80's, and honestly - the question I ask is "Is there a bad model of Bandit?" I say no!

Original silver sides, Saturation, Blue Stripes, Silver Transtubes, Red stripe Transtubes

They all rock.

I have never owned a Bandit - but I have played a couple dozen over the years and seen way more than that on a stage. If I were stuck using one for whatever reason, I'd have no problem with it.

Let's hear some Bandit love, stories, see some pics, and give us tone tricks! Bring the Bandit!

I had a smaller transtube amp and I was really surprised at how good it was. I liked it so much I was going to get a Bandit, but went with a vintage tube amp instead. I gave the Peavey I did have to a nephew. Great little amps.

Comment

It's a great amp, but I wish two things: 1. They offered it as a head, 2. The combo had a closed back, or at least, it wasn't completely open.

Comment

a bandit 112 (pre-teal) was my first amp and it served me well for a few years till i got a jcm800 half stack. kinda wish i still had it for a test amp under the bench

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          It's a great amp, but I wish two things: 1. They offered it as a head, 2. The combo had a closed back, or at least, it wasn't completely open.
          I'd happily own and gig a Bandit head if such a thing existed.
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I thought the Supreme was the head version

In any case
            My buddy has bandit 75 from the early 80s

Needed a speaker, the scorpion I think, had a torn cone

In any case, he put a CRex in and it's a tone monster

I replaced the cord with a three wire

Surprisingly little under the hood

The newest Chinese versions have features I really like
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I used a TransTube model for years- it worked great as a pedal platform. But I could do any gig with it just by itself, too.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                I thought the Supreme was the head version
                Really? They don't make those anymore, though, do they?

Comment

How tube-like is Peavey's Transtube technology? I'm talking about feel, not sound, as plenty of solid state amps can sound like tube amps without feeling like them.

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
                    How tube-like is Peavey's Transtube technology? I'm talking about feel, not sound, as plenty of solid state amps can sound like tube amps without feeling like them.
                    From what I've played, which is certainly limited, older SS amps were originally very punchy and then had a harsh clip. I suppose by punch I mean the instant you hit a note it was full on 100% output. The Transtube I had which was only an 8" speaker version had a warm rounded clipping and and "ramped up" on the note instead of all at once.

Comment

The TransTube thing did work. No one would mistake it for a Deluxe, but there are certainly actual tube amps that don't respond as well. It did a great job adding that feel to the normal SS sound.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've played a Bandit 65 and a US Redstripe 112 over the years, prefer the redstripe a little more over the 65 but both have absolutely great clean channels that take pedals well. While they are built like tanks, they also weigh as much!! My back told me 'enough' or there would be consequences and I (regretfully) sold both... Wish I'd kept the redstripe!

Comment

I remember trying my first bandit back when I began playing the guitar, over a decade ago. I found it better than the Line 6 I had at the time, and I tried it with an Aria loaded with DD HB-105s. Great chunky tone.

The last bandit I tried, I played it like in this video and it was a lot of fun. Great amps and absolute bargains now.

Comment

I bought my Peavey Bandit 75 brand new in 1987. It was my first amp and it still plays like it did when it was new, despite everything it's been through.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180618_234327.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	5808655

Comment

I bought a used 1st gen. Trans-Tube bandit for my nephew when he was starting out. Really like that amp.

We opened for Johnny Paycheck's band back in the mid 90's. They were a Peavey band, with the three guitarists using Bandits, a KB-300 for the keyboard, Session 400 for the pedal steel and a DataBass. All first gen. wide-panel amps. They THREW them onstage, totally cranked them up, and when they finished their set, again THREW them into the bus' luggage hold and off to the next stop.

After the show, one of the guitarists remarked that he liked the tone of my 50-watt JCM 800 combo. When I asked him about the Peaveys, he basically said nothing else holds up on tour. They just didn't have time to deal with tube amp maintenance, etc. All of them were great players, and they sounded fantastic.

Bill
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X