The Peavey Bandit Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Peavey Bandit Appreciation thread

But, but, but....no tubes? I mean, you can't really. I mean, how? Sounded great? They must have been lying! No tubes? Impossible!!!!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I owned a 50 watt Peavey Bandit. I purchased it in 1981 to use as a practice amp. Was a great little amp, tough as nails!

this is a brief excerpt from Peavey Forums for the rest of it go to link: ***History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit*** The Bandit (1980) The very first Bandit was only made for one year. As subs…

Comment

I've been a Peavey Bandit fan since the 80's. You can thrash 'em,bash 'em,smash 'em and trash 'em and they'll never let you down! The silver sided models were extremely roadworthy. A lot of pubs we played in the 80's and 90's would have a Bandit or a Backstage + or something similar used as the P.A. for bingo or calling counter meal numbers and more than once I borrowed them when my Marshall crapped its pants!
        A good alternative is the Fender Frontman 65 from around 10 years ago. Unbreakable!!!

I have a silver sided KB15 used as my workshop amp for almost 30 years. I've also done small gigs with it. Its probably had a couple thousand guitars plugged into it over the years,the only thing I've replaced is the input jack.

Cheers,PJ

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          You know - anyone who has played/gigged in the 70's knows these. They still showed up in the excessive 80's, and honestly - the question I ask is "Is there a bad model of Bandit?" I say no!

Original silver sides, Saturation, Blue Stripes, Silver Transtubes, Red stripe Transtubes

They all rock.

I have never owned a Bandit - but I have played a couple dozen over the years and seen way more than that on a stage. If I were stuck using one for whatever reason, I'd have no problem with it.

Let's hear some Bandit love, stories, see some pics, and give us tone tricks! Bring the Bandit!

Just got a killer deal on a Special 130 from 84 this past week...Rebuilt it and cleaned all the pots etc...Great clean tones and pedal platform amp on the cheap...To stay at where we practice..Years ago I owned the Classic VTX with the 2 Scorpions and it was a great amp too...Sold it like a dumbass...This amp was a mess but it cleaned up nice! Changed the chips and did some cap value tweaks within...Killer amp...LOUD! HOLY ****!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Special 130 Love 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	5817598 Click image for larger version

Name:	130 completed pcb 1.jpg
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	5817599

Click image for larger version

Name:	130 long chassis view.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	5817613
          Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 11-21-2019, 09:03 PM.
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Great amps, and even better when ran through a quality-loaded 212/412.

Comment

I have seen a number of Bandits beside a 4x12 cab....indeed a righteous sound and joyous noise!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                In recent years I have become quite content to have a Peavey Bandit on-hand for trying out a guitar or a pedal in a store.
                Yeah every time I'm in store
                I look for a Bandit when I'm trying guitars too
                It's like a standard to measure with
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I bought a 65 about ten yrs ago and have gigged and used it for rehearsals. A speaker swap to a Jensen-ish sort of speaker gets you into Fender territory very easily. Am considering buying a Special 130 that's on local CL.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                    Just got a killer deal on a Special 130 from 84 this past week...Rebuilt it and cleaned all the pots etc...Great clean tones and pedal platform amp on the cheap...To stay at where we practice..Years ago I owned the Classic VTX with the 2 Scorpions and it was a great amp too...Sold it like a dumbass...This amp was a mess but it cleaned up nice! Changed the chips and did some cap value tweaks within...Killer amp...LOUD! HOLY ****!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102100[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]102101[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102126[/ATTACH]
                    that actually doesnt look too bad to work on. did it need a ton of work?

Comment

Man - I see Bandits all the time. I need to pick one up just because!

Comment

I used a 90s one as my only amp for a few years. It was a great amp. I think it is due for a current re-design.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The newer ones are made in China
                          And have some nice modern features I think

Digital Reverb
                          USB recording output
                          EHD

Comment

I'm about to put my silver stripe Bandit up for sale. I picked it up used mid-00's as a backup amp for whenever we were playing places that were a little "shady" when it came to the power. I probably hadn't powered it on in 5+ years.

Got it out tonight, dusted it off and it powered right up. The pots and switches were a little scratchy, but after I sprayed them with the Deoxit they were silent. Played thru it for about an hour and it still sounds good.
                            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              Man - I see Bandits all the time. I need to pick one up just because!
                              Find a Peavey amp, change to preferred speaker, get great tone.
                              Last edited by jmcorey; 12-04-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I see several of the newer ones around $200 used
                                The older ones are around the same price
                                And considerably more used
                                EHD

Comment

Working...
                                X