Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recomended wattage for gigging

12s for bass are highly underrated

60s guys used 4x12s a lot, but tended to demolish low-wattage speakers like greenbacks regularly... which is probably how they fell out of favor in the first place

Stuff like K100's, v30's, cl80's/mc90's should be AOK as long as you massively exceed amp wattage (usual 100-120w tube head into a 4x12 with 280-400w worth of speakers)
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      60s guys used 4x12s a lot, but tended to demolish low-wattage speakers like greenbacks regularly... which is probably how they fell out of favor in the first place
      That's interesting. I've always wondered why guitarists tend to use 12's and 15's, while bass cabs are 8's and 10's.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        That's interesting. I've always wondered why guitarists tend to use 12's and 15's, while bass cabs are 8's and 10's.
        Bass cabs are 10s and 15s usually.... bass 10's (for high wattage applications) are a very different design with heavy duty long travel cones though, while the 15's are more or less just 15's

As to small cheap bedroom practice combo amps, they just throw in whatever smallest lightest and cheapest crap survived prototype testing. Those pretty much always sound shockingly better if hooked up to just about anything whatsoever vs. the stocker.
        Last edited by Adieu; 08-18-2018, 12:09 PM.
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Did you end up settling on a wattage? How many guitar players and is your drummer a hard hitter? I've seen Royal Blood live a couple times btw, they are a killer bass and drummer duo.

Having gigged and played heavy/loud music similar to yours, I'd definitely go with 200 minimum. Especially with a loud drummer, 2 guitar players, and not having to worry about being mic'd up to keep up. I always had a Ampeg SVT 3 Pro Head (450w), but the matching 4x10 4 ohm cab easily weighs 100 lbs. For smaller gigs, I picked up a GK 4x10 8 ohm cab (250-275w), which was lighter and more compact, but I had to push the amp a bit harder. Still enough to gig, but I could hear the difference between both cabs.

Bass rig for reference, good luck:

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

the svt3pro has always been one of my favorite bass amps

Comment

I ended up with a 220w 1x12 combo. Its an Ashdown MAG220. Has a balanced line, built in compressor, and foot switchable drive a sub octave. This is my rig currently. For only playing bass parts I run 2 signal paths in parallel into the front end of the amp. Both go into the Morley Power Wah Fuzz-> MXR Custom Comp then splits to the POG side of the Soul POG-> Twin overdrive-> Free Fuzz-> BD-2, while the other signal chain splits after the comp into the Soul Food into the Dark Matter. Then both go into the front end of the amp. I always have the drive on in the amp but just enough it only overdrive when I dig in and have a subtle sub mixed in. Overall its a great setup and plenty loud. I actually play it more than my guitars now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              sigpic
              Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
              Dunlop Crybaby
              MXR Custom Comp
              GFS Twin Overdrive
              Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
              Blackstar HT-DISTX
              Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

cool bass

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  cool bass
                  Thanks, its a LTD RB-1004 Rocco Prestia Signature. I picked it up a year ago for $579 on clearance at Guitar Center. Ash Body with a Burl Maple Top,Unfinished 5pc Maple/Walnut Neck, Finished maple fretboard, Aguilar Pickups and Preamp
                  Last edited by NoOnesFang13; 08-27-2018, 12:47 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                  Dunlop Crybaby
                  MXR Custom Comp
                  GFS Twin Overdrive
                  Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                  Blackstar HT-DISTX
                  Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Working...
                  X