No announcement yet.

Hum Increases as I Decrease the Volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hum Increases as I Decrease the Volume?

My RG is having some issues. I had a tech replace the volume with a Killpot, and now I am having issues with the hum increasing when I turn the volume down. There is also a bit more hum with the volume control fully open then I am used to dealing with with a HH guitar.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Re: Hum Increases as I Decrease the Volume?

That’s a grounding problem. I’ve had it happen in some of my guitars. When I turned the volume down I got hum. If I just turned it up a little it went away.

I solved it on one guitar by adding a redundant ground wire from the pots to the jack.

I’m still not sure what causes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It sounds like your guitar doesn't remember the lyrics.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
        It sounds like your guitar doesn't remember the lyrics.
        Lmfao!!

Comment

This is obviously some sort of ground issue. What diagram was followed? And can you take pics of the wiring you have? Maybe someone can see what has gone wrong...
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            This is obviously some sort of ground issue. What diagram was followed? And can you take pics of the wiring you have? Maybe someone can see what has gone wrong...
            Unfortunately I can not take any pictures as my phone does not have a decent enough camera to show any sort of detail (I have an IPhone 3, from almost half a decade ago). I know the issue isn't the wiring scheme because all the tech did was replace the pot. The only difference with the Killpot is that the left lug is connected to the left side of the killswitch and the right lug is attached to the right side.

Would this be an issue of a bad joint or something like that?

Comment

If you are getting hum, that is indeed a wiring problem. Sounds like when he wired the volume ground to the switch lug it created a ground lift - e.g. He missed grounding the outside lug of the volume control and instead moved it to the switch, which would do nothing when not engaged.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                If you are getting hum, that is indeed a wiring problem. Sounds like when he wired the volume ground to the switch lug it created a ground lift - e.g. He missed grounding the outside lug of the volume control and instead moved it to the switch, which would do nothing when not engaged.
                But wouldn't that mean with the volume turned down it would increase the noise? I don't have that issue.

Comment

Working...
                X