Best Noise Gate For Cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Noise Gate For Cheap?

Ya'll recently helped me find a good distortion pedal (DOD Boneshaker), but now I have an issue of noise. I'm going to shield the problem child of the group, my RG120BDX, but my other Les Paul is also having issues with the hum of high gain.

So what's a good pedal for cutting noise, I've looked at the Boss NS-2 and EHX Silencer, but to he honest I don't k ew what to look for in one of these pedals.

Best Noise Gate For Cheap?

NS-2 is great, I had the Silencer and it worked fine as well and it’s cheap. Some people swear by the ISP Decimator but I’ve never had one and it’s not cheap (I believe a few fellow forumites do).

Right now what I have on my board is a Joyo Gate of Kahn. El cheapo but it’s tiny (fits under my board) and super simple: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ahn-Noise-Gate
    Last edited by Blille; 06-22-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Re: Best Noise Gate For Cheap?

I have both the ISP G-String Decimator and the NS-2. Both work great. I find the ISP to have a more gentle gate but it’s not cheap.
      The NS-2 on the used market is +\- $50. And for that price you can’t beat it.

Comment

The Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor is a must-have for player using high gain or noisy vintage single coils. Shop new & used Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor pedals on Reverb.com.

Comment

I've used the ISP standard Decimator and the NS-2, both worked well, I liked the NS-2 better.

Comment

Have you tried moving your power supply around some??
            Noisegates are....well never mind that!
            Most hum eminates from how the powersupply is oriented towards the pedals.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
              Have you tried moving your power supply around some??
              Noisegates are....well never mind that!
              Most hum eminates from how the powersupply is oriented towards the pedals.....
              What do you mean? I just have a daisy chain adapter cord and that's plugged into a surge protector.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                What do you mean? I just have a daisy chain adapter cord and that's plugged into a surge protector.
                If you use a power supply such as a Pedal Power or DC Brick and have it oriented too close to a pedal such as a wah, it can introduce a lot of noise into your signal path.

Also, some pedals don’t do well if they are not on an isolated circuit path such as a Digitech drop.
                I can’t comment on the specifics of your particular daisy chain setup, but there’s a pretty good chance that any noise generated by a pedal in the path is moving right along to the next pedal in line. At the end of the signal path (the amp) it’s possible that the cumulative effect of all the noise from all of the pedals is what you are hearing.

Comment

Agreed on power supplies and pedal orientation. I've also had problems with pedals in front of the amp and pedals in the loop sharing the same power supply, had to run them on separate supplies or isolated outputs.

Comment

My friend got rid of his EHX Silencer for an NS-2. We A/B'd them, and the NS-2 worked a lot better (it closed faster). I'd go for the NS-2.

Comment

As I've gotten older, and I am old now....60.....I can no longer stand any noise. How I played my '66 P90 Firebird through a Marshall Major Stack in the late 70's I'll never know....because it was loud AND very noisy. I rarely use pedals, but I do have a pedal board for those times. I bought a used (fairly cheap) Son of Hyde Distortion pedal...it has a built in noise gate which works great actually. Mine is the older model which allows you to use a trim pot to adjust the noise level, the newer ones are simply on/off I believe. Truth is, mine is usually turned up all the way so it probably wouldn't matter. There are plenty with built in noise reduction these days. In fact Ingwye's signature Marshall has a built in noise gate too....I'd actually love one but they are getting rare and expensive....and I certainly don't need 100 marshll watts these days. Good luck!
                      *******Please check out some of my songs:
                      https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=1430296

Comment

I play high gain stuff mostly and the NS2 works great for me. Had it for 6 years now and never noticed any of the infamous "tone suck". The only issues I've come across is the trim pot inside that sets output volume needed tweaking, and having to turn the gate off when I'm rolling back the volume pot. You can probably find a used one on the cheap without too much effort.
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

The NS-2 is excellent, but is there any reason not to max the Threshold and min the Decay?

Comment

I bought my (broken) Decimator off ebay for like 30 bucks.... sent it to the warranty shop for free.

Love this pedal because it shushes up the hiss and doesn't color the tone very much at all!
                            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                              I bought my (broken) Decimator off ebay for like 30 bucks.... sent it to the warranty shop for free.

Love this pedal because it shushes up the hiss and doesn't color the tone very much at all!
                              I have one of the older run G-string Decimator. About 2 years ago I was having some issues with one of the input jacks. I emailed Shell at ISP and even though the warranty was expired they fixed it very cheaply. I had them replace all 4 jacks while it was there and they gave it the once over for me. Iirc, it cost about $40.
                              Sure beats $225 for a new one!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X