NBD: Squier Precision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBD: Squier Precision

I traded my ex-bro in law an old compound bow for a Squier P-bass. Picking it up tonight, but he sent me a pic. Black, rosewood board, P/J pickups. This is only the second bass I’ve owned, the first being an old USA Peavey Foundation J-copy.

I’m sure it needs restrung, so what’s the bass equivalent of 11-50? 45-105? I like the aggressive Geddy Lee, Les Claypool style of playing.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: NBD: Squier Precision

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I traded my ex-bro in law an old compound bow for a Squier P-bass. Picking it up tonight, but he sent me a pic. Black, rosewood board, P/J pickups. This is only the second bass I’ve owned, the first being an old USA Peavey Foundation J-copy.

I’m sure it needs restrung, so what’s the bass equivalent of 11-50? 45-105? I like the aggressive Geddy Lee, Les Claypool style of playing.
    I've always thought 45-105s are more like 10s on electric. If you're wanting to fight it a bit (like 11s in standard tuning) I'd look for a 50-110 set.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Sweet! Love Precision basses! Post pics when you can!...and enjoy!

Comment

Got the bass, action is seriously about 3/4” off the board. Neck has relief like a macaroni noodle, but the truss rod is completely loose. Needs a bit of tlc.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I'd love to see it when it is finished with that TLC. I have a Squier Jazz that I really like, and it sounds amazing. I got it to play really well, too. Balancing a P with a J pickup is slightly harder, but possible with the right combos.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I forgot to take good before pics, but it’s cleaning up well. I’m worried the neck is fried, though. Tightened the truss rod a lot, still way too much relief. I’m going to get some ultra light strings and see if that helps.

Also, I discovered it’s a 2000 model. Indonesian Standard. Says Precision Bass, not P-Bass. Anybody know specs from that era?

Comment

For bass, I consider .100 light, .105 medium, and .110 heavy. Just like most guitars come with 9's, most basses come with .100 or lighter from the factory. In terms of difficulty, I'd call .105's about equivalent in feel to 10's or 11's on guitar, and .110's to be like 12's or 13's (though it's bass, so it's different). .105's are a good middle ground for most people. I myself find anything lighter than .105 to be so floppy that they're practically unplayable. The first thing I do to a new bass is to slap La Bella .110's on it; those are my go-to strings.

P.S. If the truss rod was totally loose when you got it, tightening it "a bit" isn't gonna cut it. Try clamping the neck face down to a work table (using good cauls, of course), with the head/nut overhanging the edge, but all frets on the table. Then tighten the rod until it the nut gives you significant resistance. Then reinstall the strings and let it sit. Come back a day or two later and see what you have.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-28-2018, 01:18 AM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I’m going to try clamping the neck, thanks.

I’m also looking at a super light string set to help. I’m putting together a custom SIT set that goes 35, 50, 65, 90. It puts each string around 30 lbs, with the G slightly lighter. Any opinions?

Comment

All you guys with the heavy bass strings, you must play really simple stuff, huh?

I’m either using .045 to .130 (5 string), or .040 - .125. I prefer the lighter set. You get more attack if you pluck them hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                    All you guys with the heavy bass strings, you must play really simple stuff, huh?
                    Nope, stronger hands. I use heavier than normal guitar strings, too.

Comment

Nope, stronger hands. I use heavier than normal guitar strings, too.
                      lol! Tell that to Stanley Clarke! Like I said, you wont find any virtuosos using heavy strings. You lose all nuance. But if you are just playing simple 4 note lines, then fine.

It's funny how string gauge always comes down to some macho crap. Same with guitar players... yet Page and all those guys use really light strings.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                        lol! Tell that to Stanley Clarke! Like I said, you wont find any virtuosos using heavy strings. You lose all nuance. But if you are just playing simple 4 note lines, then fine.

It's funny how string gauge always comes down to some macho crap. Same with guitar players... yet Page and all those guys use really light strings.
                        You were the one who started the string gauge insults. I tried light guitar strings recently and hated how they felt and sounded. I think I mentioned that in another thread, and I’m pretty sure you said something similar to above then, too.

If you like light strings, by all means, use them. Why are you so insecure about it? I have nothing against you, but it sure does get old reading the same old stuff from you every time someone says “heavy strings”, or in this case, even when no one says that.
                        Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 06-29-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

You were the one who started the string gauge insults. I tried light guitar strings recently and hated how they felt and sounded. I think I mentioned that in another thread, and I’m pretty sure you said something similar to above then, too.

If you like light strings, by all means, use them. Why are you so insecure about it?
                          I'm not insecure, but as someone who has given lessons, I can't understand why people want to make things harder than they need to be. The only hand strength you need is to press a string down. More than that will slow you down. So why fight with your bass? Plus using too much hand pressure will result in RSI. I've been playing 48 years, and the last thing I need is to damage my tendons.

And I didn't start any insults, I asked why people were using such heavy strings, and whether they were playing simple music. I know lots of players who do.

But heavy strings leads to pressing your fretting hand down too hard, which will lead to injuries.

Comment

Playing light gauge strings doesn’t make it easier to play for me.

After all this time of playing an adjustable instrument with a plethora of choices for things like string gauge or action height, I’ll never understand why people don’t get that not everybody likes the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I'd love to see it when it is finished with that TLC. I have a Squier Jazz that I really like, and it sounds amazing. I got it to play really well, too. Balancing a P with a J pickup is slightly harder, but possible with the right combos.
                              Ain't there a balanced PJ set in the SD catalog? I am still debating myself if buying a Squier PJ or a J. My Yamaha RBX375 is great but sometimes I want to have some classic bas sounds too. That or a second cab to play guitar in stereo.
                              Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                              X