banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Electrically Does The NS-2 Loop Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Electrically Does The NS-2 Loop Work?

I recently bought an NS-2 and was wondering how the effects loop works. I know how to hook it up, with an X connection and all that, so that's not what I'm asking. What I want to know is how does the pedal know not to mess with the guitar's signal when you use the loop?

There is no practical use to this question, I'm just curious.

Re: How Electrically Does The NS-2 Loop Work?

It monitors the input signal and when it senses a signal greater than where the threshold is set, it opens the gate on the loop, when the intput signal drops below the threshold it closes the gate.

Or were you wanting something more electrically specific?

Comment

I figured that's how it works when you simply plug it in, but what does it do differently if you put pedals in its loop? Does it just gate the guitar then put an extra gate on everything in the loop?

Comment

No, it gates the loop. I've never used it any other way, I don't know if it would work without using the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          No, it gates the loop. I've never used it any other way, I don't know if it would work without using the loop.
          It does. That's how I use mine. It's more effective with the loop, but the wires are more likely to get messy. I don't know how it works internally, but I have a few ideas. None that I can confirm or deny though.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

It probably senses if something is plugged into the loop or just into the input and output and gates at the appropriate place, pure speculation on my part though.

Comment

I think it gates twice separately if you run 4-cable,,,,,,but I can't confirm this.
              The only problem with placing it at the end of a loop is that it can clip the repeats and echos-tails with delays and reverb.
              Last edited by dave74; 07-03-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Yeah, delays and reverbs need to go after the NS-2 loop, which is fine, they usually aren't the noise makers anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X