Question About String Gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About String Gauges

Hi everyone. I have a question about string gauges. I have played electric guitar for a year. And I always used 9-42 strings. Now I need to change my strings again. And the set of strings wich I wanna buy is 10-47. And I wonder if it makes a problem about nut or smth. Thanks anyways.

Re: Question About String Gauges

Assuming that your guitar is in good playing shape (professionally set up) a different, heavier gauge of strings MAY require a truss rod adjustment.
    The heavier gauge string will pull more than the lighter gauge so you may need to just tighten the rod a quarter turn or so.
    If you’ve never had a pro setup done, you may want to consider having it done by your local tech.

Comment

You will also need to reintonate the bridge if you are picky about being in tune further up the neck. A minor change in string gauge won't affect the intonation too much, but I always adjust it just so my guitar can be 100% setup.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        Assuming that your guitar is in good playing shape (professionally set up) a different, heavier gauge of strings MAY require a truss rod adjustment.
        The heavier gauge string will pull more than the lighter gauge so you may need to just tighten the rod a quarter turn or so.
        If you’ve never had a pro setup done, you may want to consider having it done by your local tech.
        I know how to adjust my truss rod. However, I have a Strat with 6 point trem. and I adjusted it to float. I guess I’ll need to re-adjust it, won’t I. But thanks

Comment

Most nuts should be already cut to accommodate 10-46. As the others have stated, a slight truss rod, Tremolo and intonation adjustmen will be required to have the guitar play it’s best.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            You will also need to reintonate the bridge if you are picky about being in tune further up the neck. A minor change in string gauge won't affect the intonation too much, but I always adjust it just so my guitar can be 100% setup.
            I actually never done it before. And now I am out of the town. I’m in a rural area. There is no guitar shop or smth close. Is it easy to intonate a bridge?According to what you said I don’t think it’ll change to much. Thank you.

Comment

Ok. Thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Ekara View Post
                I know how to adjust my truss rod. However, I have a Strat with 6 point trem. and I adjusted it to float. I guess I’ll need to re-adjust it, won’t I. But thanks
                Most likely, yes.
                I would start there...change strings and adjust the truss rod and see where you’re at. It might be just fine as is.
                As far as the intonation goes, it’s not hard to adjust but it is time consuming. You need to make small incremental adjustment and then re-check and re-check and re-check!! Lol
                There are tons of YouTube vids that could explain the process better than I could here on the forum. I’d watch a few and then give it a shot if necessary.
                Last edited by Gtrjunior; 07-04-2018, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Going from 9 to 10 will probably not need a truss rod tweak. It probably will need a bridge adjustment if you’re floating.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    Going from 9 to 10 will probably not need a truss rod tweak. It probably will need a bridge adjustment if you’re floating.
                    Well, it all depends on what shape his setup was in to begin with.
                    A guitar with a good setup may not need a truss rod adjustment, on the other hand if he has been playing a guitar that has never had a setup that could be a different story.
                    Plus, he has only been playing for a year (?) and may not yet know how to tell a good setup from a poor setup....I know I didn’t at that point.
                    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 07-04-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I certainly think you'd have to readjust your trem to float with the heavier strings. All of these adjustments aren't too bad, though...it shouldn't take too long to do them. There are plenty of tutorials about this stuff online, too. But a question is...why? Are you having some problems with the lighter strings?
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Depending on your setup, you will probably need to adjust the truss rod a bit and maybe tighten the trem if you have some type of floyd setup. Unless your nut and saddle pieces are as low as they can possibly go with the 9s on there, you shouldn't have a problem with either the nut or the saddles when you put the 10s on.

The only way to find out is just make the switch.
                        The Gear:

1995 Gibson SG, 1991 Gibson Lucille, 2005 Fender Strat Custom, 1989 Ibanez Jem, And many more....

"It is true. I never practice guitar or take guitar lessons. From time to time I open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat."

-Wes Montgomery

Comment

Working...
                        X