P - J Bass Blend pot problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P - J Bass Blend pot problem.

I'm wondering if I got a bad pot on this. I wired up my P-J bass with a Master Volume, Blend Pot, and a Master Tone, on 1 end of the blend pot I have the precision pickup on full, but when I turn all the other way to the jazz pickup, it fades out. In the middle you still get the blend of the 2 pickups. Should I consider getting another blend pot if that's the cause? Any tips are great.

Re: P - J Bass Blend pot problem.

Hmm, if you can post some pics of your wiring, we might be able to figure out what is going on. I wouldn't rule out a bad pot, though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sounds like the blend pot is wired up wrong.

Certain blend pots are not reversible. Especially the M/N taper pots like a Bournes.

Also keep in mind the P will always overpower the J. So the center position won’t be a 50/50 blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
        Also keep in mind the P will always overpower the J. So the center position won’t be a 50/50 blend.

This has always been an issue. Also, the J will hum, and the P will be quiet. This is why many people search for a more powereful, hum-cancelling J pickup in P-J basses.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          This has always been an issue. Also, the J will hum, and the P will be quiet. This is why many people search for a more powereful, hum-cancelling J pickup in P-J basses.
          Back in the late 70s I had a ‘76 P bass with two P pickups.

That works great and to me sounds much better.

Same idea here.

Comment

BC Rich was doing 2 P-Bass pickups in the 70s, too.

To me, the P-J thing only kinda works. It isn't 'the best of both worlds', and doesn't make a P sound like a J. I think the idea is nice, but I've never heard it executed perfectly.

Comment

Working...
            X