Looking into trying bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking into trying bass

So I am looking into trying to play bass after messing around with electric guitar for a few years. I'm just wondering if you have any tips or anything to go off of when I am looking into different basses. If it helps I would mostly be playing metal.

Re: Looking into trying bass

I took up bass after 30 years playing guitar. I find necks with 1.5" width at the nut more comfortable (Fender Jazz Neck) coming from guitar. I really like the PJ bass configuration because you kinda get the best of both worlds from Fender. I had one version with active EQ, but ended up not liking it at all because it just sounded like crap pickups that had been boosted in a bad way. The battery did not last all too long either, and then the base was pretty much useless until you replaced it. Right now I have a 2 Squier basses. One Vintage Modified Jazz bass, and one older Vintage Modified Jaguar PJ bass (no active electronics). they both have Duncan Designed pickups, and I like them both. I have super light strings on the Jaguar, and while I really like the way they feel, the standard size definitely had more thump to them. Don't know how well they would work for Metal, but I guess it really depends on what amp you run them through. I have a new Fender Rumble 40, and a Cube 20 Bass.

Comment

That's another thing I was going to ask about, I know very little when it comes to bass amps.

Comment

Going into Metal? I'd recommend something like a Charvel Jackson or Epiphone Thunderbird–great sounding and playing basses at very reasonable prices (especially used on Craigslist.)

Comment

Playing bass is much different than playing guitar. Remember you are the guy who connects the guitar and drums - completing the rhythm section. Your fretting hand will support the guitar chords, your plucking hand will support the kick drum, snare, and high hats. And if you also sing, it's a whole new world. If you're really good at it, you'll always have a gig because there are too many guitar players compared to available gigs. Of course - if you want to play 7 nights a week, take up pedal steel....
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Playing bass is much different than playing guitar. Remember you are the guy who connects the guitar and drums - completing the rhythm section. Your fretting hand will support the guitar chords, your plucking hand will support the kick drum, snare, and high hats. And if you also sing, it's a whole new world. If you're really good at it, you'll always have a gig because there are too many guitar players compared to available gigs. Of course - if you want to play 7 nights a week, take up pedal steel....
            So funny but so true!

Comment

I told my kids "Learn bass - you'll have choices of what band you want in every style"

As said - do. not be a guitar player who can play bass. Be a bass player. There is a difference.

Hard to argue with Ibanez at any price point. I have a Dean Metalman Bass and a Jackson. Both pawn shop, both cheap, both great.

Amps? Couldn't say. I use a DI Amp box.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Amps? Couldn't say. I use a DI Amp box.
                We get better tone out of an MXR DI into a powered monitor than the majority of bass players I know.

Comment

I am a guitar player that started with bass a couple of years ago. If you want metal will you use 4 string down tuned or 5 strings? What is your budget? For small budget I would suggest Ibanez GSR line, Yamaha TRBX170 line or some Squier Vintage Modified (there is a beautiful 5 string 70s Jazz bass). If you play metal with a pick the closer spacing of a 5 string will make it easier at the beginning but of course with a little practice you will be able to handle a 4 string, I have played both myself and coming from guitar using a pick is my go to technique. On the other hand playing slap bass is easier in the beginning with a 4 string as the wider string spacing makes "pluck" easier but then again with some practice a 5 string is doable. If you play bass regularly you will notice your fretting hand will become stronger and hopefully it will be easier to try a thicker strings gauge on guitar.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by undeadstrife View Post
                    So I am looking into trying to play bass after messing around with electric guitar for a few years. I'm just wondering if you have any tips or anything to go off of when I am looking into different basses. If it helps I would mostly be playing metal.
                    Buy an old japanese used bass with a neck that agrees with you for cheap

Just by owning something that isn't an Ibanez Gio GSR 200 or Squier, or Yamaha, you'll sound kickass vs. 90% of bassists.

Then do NOT, i repeat, do NOT fall into the $10k boutique bass trap that captivates another 5%... if you need a tonal upgrade, add some Seymour Duncan active pickups. Verrrry underrated.

Maybe get a better amp.

Afterwards, don't bother checking out new basses, well, ever. Your shopping is pretty much done. You usually won't EVER see a better sounding bass in any store --- except another old upgraded MIJ --- outside of a locked showcase or hanging under the ceiling.
                    Last edited by Adieu; 08-02-2018, 11:53 AM.
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                      So funny but so true!
                      Srsly??

Ive never, ever seen anyone play one of em.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                        Srsly??

Ive never, ever seen anyone play one of em.
                        That’s basically the point.

I can count on one hand the number of people I know who can actually play a Pedal Steel. A rarity for sure.

Comment

Technically, you can play metal on any bass. What it boils down to is how it feels slung on your shoulders and is it comfortable to play. Some have wider nut widths than others. Ibanez Soundgear and Fender Jazz basses have a narrower spacing than say a Fender P Bass. I have a Sterling SUB Ray4 ($299 brand new) that I picked up several months ago and I recently tossed a Duncan SMB-4A MM pickup in it. For me, it's perfect. It has a narrow nut width like a Jazz but slings on my shoulders like a P Bass. One of these days I'll get a nice P Bass. When I was bass shopping, I played anything and everything in my price range before making the decision on which one to get. And I played quite a few. I almost opted for a Yamaha TRBX304 but in the end, the SUB Ray4 had me sold.

As for an amp, well, same there too. Try a lot of them out. I knew I wanted an Ampeg and waited until the right deal came along. Ended up scoring a PortaFlex PF-500 head for half of what they go for new. Then it was on to a cabinet and hit gold when my wife found a GK CX410 in mind condition for less than half what they go for new. Rig complete. At home I use AmpliTube on an older iPhone for silent practicing with the Ampeg SVT amp model. If I had to gig with that for any reason I wouldn't think twice about it. It sounds that good.

When it comes to playing the thing, now you have to separate yourself from the guitar and lock in with the drummer. There are times when the bass follows the guitar for rhythmic reasons but the bass has to lock in with the drummer to establish the foundation. It is a different mindset. Practice and practice. I've started playing along with a simple drum track just to work on technique and simple bass riffs. If you want to use a pick, use a pick. I play with my fingers mostly but will use a pick for a few songs. That's preference really.

At the end of the day, have fun. You'll have a gig in no time. I joined a band playing bass in mid-April after playing guitar in a band for 11 years (and playing guitar for 30+ and bass on/off here and there in the 1990's).
                          Last edited by ErikH; 08-06-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                            That’s basically the point.

I can count on one hand the number of people I know who can actually play a Pedal Steel. A rarity for sure.
                            Yeah but does anybody NEED them for a band??

Globally or at least far and wide throughout North America, and not just in some enclaves where whatever old music style utilized them (im not even sure what it is used for??) still survives?

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                              Yeah but does anybody NEED them for a band??

Globally or at least far and wide throughout North America, and not just in some enclaves where whatever old music style utilized them (im not even sure what it is used for??) still survives?
                              sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                              - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Working...
                              X