HB Neck / P90 Bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HB Neck / P90 Bridge?

I've heard that the original P90s were hotter than PAFs on account to the double magnets and hotter winds. The reason the P90n and HB bridge idea works so well is because of the tighter focus of the P90.

Anyway, I was wondering if a hot P90 would pair well with a clear neck humbucker (Like a Jazz). Does anyone have any good sets they could recommend, or would imagine could work well? True P90s or any pickup with a P90 tone works for this exercise.

Re: HB Neck / P90 Bridge?

I tried a 59n/QPb in a CV Tele once and that thang rawked. I eventually gave it to my 5 year old nephew because all the poor thing had was a First Act accoustic
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Is there any place local where you could try a Reverend Double Agent? It has HB/P90 drive train as standard (newer models with Railhammer HB in bridge). One of my fave guitars in my stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry, didn’t catch that you were asking opposite configuration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've done a Phat Cat bridge, and Alnico II Pro in the neck, and it worked well. I would have kept it, but eventually went with a higher output bridge pickup. It was a good combo, though. The neck was darker and the bridge could really bark.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Mini-hum neck and P90 bridge also works pretty well, but it's an even less common combo.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

There's no reason why that wouldn't be a fine combination. As long as you weren't using a hot neck humbucker, you wouldn't even need a "hot P90" for output balance IMO.

That said, I like a P90 neck tone when I switch over from a P90 bridge tone, so I would not do this combo, myself.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 07-20-2018, 11:57 AM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I had a Phat Cat in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck at some point. Even though the PAF Pro's hotter, it wasn't too hard to balance the output, IMO.

It was a cool combo too. Then again, the PAF Pro gets along well with single coils.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-20-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, that is interesting and would probably make for a very cool guitar with clear warms in the neck and a hotter/raunchier bridge of a P90. I like the idea!

Comment

I love a p90 in the neck but not that much in the bridge. I prefer the more smooth humbucker bridge tone.
                    But I don’t see what youre idea wouldn’t work if that’s the tone you’re after.

Comment

Working...
                    X